2105 Broadwell / GPU update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grudderdude, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Grudderdude macrumors newbie

Yo! I'm curious if anyone has any decent information regarding when the next major rMBP update will be? I've read a few things saying 1st or 2nd 1/4 2015, but that is from threads 6-8 months ago. Also, if anyone has any ideas as to what GPU's Apple would use for the 15" line? The GTX 980m looks gooooooood, and I have high hopes we will see it in the next big update but I'm not sure how realistic that is for Apple.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Yo! No one here knows or is able to divulge.

3. Grudderdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh but how sweet it would be if we could just know eh? I don't know if I want to fork out the dough for the current 750m gpu 15" rMBP. I like playing the odd game here and there and am interested in checking out Witcher 3 and Dragon Age: Inquesition when they come out. I'm pretty sure the 750m would just barely run those games. I know a desktop would make more sense for gaming, but I just like laptop form factor and portability.

4. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

The current guesses for TDP of the 980m are in the 85-125watt range (nVidia aren't saying). Even at 85watts thats a bit too much for a rMBP to cool.

It will probably be a 950m with possibly a vague hope to have a 960m.

5. Grudderdude thread starter macrumors newbie

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I'd wait for the 2105 graphic cards. They'll be awesome compared to now. Most likely include projected virtual reality into your entire room.

7. Grudderdude thread starter macrumors newbie

8. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

First poster above yours here was being a little sarcastic because you have it listed as 2105 and should be 2015... Get it.

Attached Files:

9. Grudderdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yes. I get it. Maybe it's a joke because of how long the update will take... Maybe that or I've been doing lots of graveyard shifts. Either way I think you people know what I meant.

10. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

You must be new to Apple.

IF they will be using a dgpu, it will be a 950-960. But it is very likely that they won't, especially if they choose to skip Broadwell.

11. Grudderdude thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm realizing more and more lately how little I actually know about my computer. That's why I've joined this forum. I have noticed that apple does seem to settle for less gusto for the sake of style. I could never see them make a laptop with a massive set of vents in the back for the beefy gpu that needs cooling, but I'm wondering if the new tech coming down the road will even need that kind of ventilation anymore. I've heard about the fanless broadwell cpu that might go into this potential 12" rMBP. I don't know if that cpu would effect the kind of gpu they can use or if apple would even care about that kind of thing. Maybe better software that utilizes the hardware more efficiently?

12. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Partially for style, but more so for battery life these days. Apple has been the one pushing hard on Intel to produce better performing, lower power using integrated GPUs for a number of years. For most of Apple's lineup, I think your going to see less dedicated graphics and more integrated ones going forward - especially on laptops.

13. Grudderdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know how that would effect graphical preformance? Like is the techno by for intigrated graphics looking impressive down the way?

14. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

Skylake should be massive for integrated graphics. With 72 EUs and 2133 DDR4 RAM the Iris Pro will likely be roughly on par with the 860m, and that chip is no slouch.

15. vbedia macrumors regular

I'd be happy is that is true. An integrated graphic card with that sort of performance would be sweet. We will see.

16. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Couldn't stop laughing...became quite Hilarious in the end ! :p

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

Someone here might know, but doesn't want to divulge the info for fear of the Apple security people coming along and dragging him to Apple Hell, where they are forced to do work using only windows 3.1 on an 8088 machine, plus no access to the company cafeteria.

18. Grudderdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Bahahaha! "Have you seen my stapler?" Nobody wants to be that guy.

19. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

The fanless tech with broadwell is rumored to be for the 12" rMBA, not the pro. The 12" rMBA will likely replace both the 11" and 13" MBA. The only reason it is speculated to be viable without a fan is due to the extremely low wattage, which generally means lower power (but because broadwell is more efficient, means adequate power for lower wattage). So it's getting a very low powered chip, which will produce less heat, but broadwell will allow it to still be powerful enough to be viable for a 12" notebook.

The benefit of using integrated chips atm is that they seem to be improving at a much faster rate than dGPU performance has the past couple years. There has been other word on here as to why iGPU looks like it'll be the future. As it stands currently though, some people may be getting lower performance the next couple years (compared to the market's current dGPU), until that becomes the case. The upside is, no more graphic switching glitches, and bad battery life due to some websites/programs triggering the dGPU.