Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram today made a change to user bios, allowing "#" hashtags and "@" links to other Instagram users.

Starting today, when you add a @ or a # to your Instagram bio, it will become a live link that leads either to a hashtag page or to another profile.

instagrambios-800x448.jpg

Instagram says it has implemented this change to allow users to better express themselves and their interests in their profiles, adding information like #guitarlover, #pencilsketching, #makeuptutorial, and more.

To add a hashtag or link in your bio, you need to navigate to "Edit Profile" and select the "Bio" section. When typing a # or a @ here, you will see a list of recommended hashtags and accounts. Selecting a hashtag or an account you want to add will automatically link it in your bio.

For privacy reasons, Instagram says that when you mention someone else's profile in your bio, they'll receive a notification and can remove the link to their profile if desired.

Article Link: Instagram Now Allows Live Hashtags and Profile Links in Your Bio

cablecartman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2006
This is related to Apple news, exactly how? Surely a third party app changing how their hashtags work does not constitute headline news...

Reactions: locoboi187

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
how about the ability to enlarge profile pictures... So frustrating when I get friend invites and I cant really see the person because I can't click on the picture to enlarge it.... Twitter allows this.

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
Why STILL a square format in 2018?! I have to use FontStudio (Google Play) to shrink it to 2048 x 2048, resulting in pillarbox or windowbox just to post a simple meme that doesn't fit their infuriating square limits.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Gimme back my chronological order! If I don’t want to see a post I wouldn’t follow that person like smh

I agree. I hate COMPLETELY not seeing half of my followers’ work unless I remember to seek out their page manually, because they’re never in my feed. I hate the change.

Sprinkles0001

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2018
how about the ability to enlarge profile pictures... So frustrating when I get friend invites and I cant really see the person because I can't click on the picture to enlarge it.... Twitter allows this.
That’d be nice but wouldn’t that interfere with trying to view someone’s Instagram Story?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I agree. I hate COMPLETELY not seeing half of my followers’ work unless I remember to seek out their page manually, because they’re never in my feed. I hate the change.

I can see why chronological can be desirable.

But what if you don't visit Instagram for a couple days? Do you really scroll ALL the way back to the last time you visited?

Even when it was chronological... I didn't care if I saw everything. I just scrolled until I got bored then went back to the real world. :)

In other words... I'm fine with knowing I probably won't see every post ever made during that time... which is why I'm not too bothered by algorithmic feeds instead of time-based feeds.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I can see why chronological can be desirable.

But what if you don't visit Instagram for a couple days? Do you really scroll ALL the way back to the last time you visited?

Even when it was chronological... I didn't care if I saw everything. I just scrolled until I got bored then went back to the real world. :)

In other words... I'm fine with knowing I probably won't see every post ever made during that time... which is why I'm not too bothered by algorithmic feeds instead of time-based feeds.

Yes, I did always scroll back until I last visited. That way, I knew I wasn’t missing out on anybody’s great work.

This current way, you miss just as many posts it just *feels* like you aren’t. Sometimes I’ll think of a follower out of the blue and visit their page, and they’ll have 6-7 new pictures up and I haven’t seen ANY in my feed. I’ve lost so many followers from them always liking my work, but me completely missing out on theirs because Instagram’s algorithms think they know what I want to see.

Reactions: mollyc and 26139
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.