Instagram Now Allows Live Hashtags and Profile Links in Your Bio

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Instagram today made a change to user bios, allowing "#" hashtags and "@" links to other Instagram users.

Starting today, when you add a @ or a # to your Instagram bio, it will become a live link that leads either to a hashtag page or to another profile.

[​IMG]

Instagram says it has implemented this change to allow users to better express themselves and their interests in their profiles, adding information like #guitarlover, #pencilsketching, #makeuptutorial, and more.

To add a hashtag or link in your bio, you need to navigate to "Edit Profile" and select the "Bio" section. When typing a # or a @ here, you will see a list of recommended hashtags and accounts. Selecting a hashtag or an account you want to add will automatically link it in your bio.

For privacy reasons, Instagram says that when you mention someone else's profile in your bio, they'll receive a notification and can remove the link to their profile if desired.

Article Link: Instagram Now Allows Live Hashtags and Profile Links in Your Bio

2. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Bring on the proper post-to-post regram option!

3. cablecartman macrumors newbie

cablecartman

This is related to Apple news, exactly how? Surely a third party app changing how their hashtags work does not constitute headline news...

4. itsmilo macrumors 68000

itsmilo

Gimme back my chronological order! If I don’t want to see a post I wouldn’t follow that person like smh

5. LunarFalcon, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018

LunarFalcon macrumors member

It's posted in the iOS blog, and it's a very popular app on iOS.

6. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

how about the ability to enlarge profile pictures... So frustrating when I get friend invites and I cant really see the person because I can't click on the picture to enlarge it.... Twitter allows this.

7. Cloudkicker macrumors 6502

Cloudkicker

Why STILL a square format in 2018?! I have to use FontStudio (Google Play) to shrink it to 2048 x 2048, resulting in pillarbox or windowbox just to post a simple meme that doesn't fit their infuriating square limits.

8. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

You can post portrait and landscape images. That’s been available for a while now.

9. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

10. bradkrischel macrumors 6502

Yeah, I can't wait to see the same re-grammed picture over and over in my feed /s. It will be similar to what I have now with seeing the same ads OVER AND OVER AND OVER

11. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I agree. I hate COMPLETELY not seeing half of my followers’ work unless I remember to seek out their page manually, because they’re never in my feed. I hate the change.

12. Mr. Heckles macrumors regular

Mr. Heckles

Same here!

13. Sprinkles0001 macrumors newbie

Sprinkles0001

That’d be nice but wouldn’t that interfere with trying to view someone’s Instagram Story?

14. hot ham water macrumors newbie

hot ham water

they did this because people are leaving fb by the thousands, and IG won't be far behind.

15. mollyc macrumors 65816

You can pinch and zoom to enlarge.

Oh sorry. You said profile pics. I meant feed pics.

16. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

17. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

I can see why chronological can be desirable.

But what if you don't visit Instagram for a couple days? Do you really scroll ALL the way back to the last time you visited?

Even when it was chronological... I didn't care if I saw everything. I just scrolled until I got bored then went back to the real world. :)

In other words... I'm fine with knowing I probably won't see every post ever made during that time... which is why I'm not too bothered by algorithmic feeds instead of time-based feeds.

18. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Yes, I did always scroll back until I last visited. That way, I knew I wasn’t missing out on anybody’s great work.

This current way, you miss just as many posts it just *feels* like you aren’t. Sometimes I’ll think of a follower out of the blue and visit their page, and they’ll have 6-7 new pictures up and I haven’t seen ANY in my feed. I’ve lost so many followers from them always liking my work, but me completely missing out on theirs because Instagram’s algorithms think they know what I want to see.

19. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

You post memes on IG?