Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IPSW-250x250.png
Following the release of iOS 11.3 last week, Apple has stopped signing iOS 11.2.6, the previous version of iOS that was available to consumers.

iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch owners who have upgraded to iOS 11.2.6 will no longer be able to downgrade to earlier versions of iOS.

Apple routinely stops signing older versions of software updates after new releases come out in order to encourage customers to keep their operating systems up to date.

iOS 11.3 is now the only version of iOS 11 that can be installed on iOS devices by the general public, but developers and public beta testers can download iOS 11.4, an update that is currently being beta tested.

Article Link: Apple Stops Signing iOS 11.2.6 Following iOS 11.3 Release

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Good riddance

That might be if it is/was bad (don't know if it is/was) but why not allow people to *stay on any iOS version.

Edit: *Stay also means going back to any iOS they want, as long as it's supported and by supported I mean hardware supported, you can't go back to iOS 1 on an iPhone X for instance.

Last edited:
Reactions: centauratlas

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
That might be if it is/was bad (don't know if it is/was) but why not allow people to stay on any iOS version.

People can already stay on any iOS version they like. They just can't arbitrarily install older versions.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The jury on 11.3 is still out; but certainly the earlier versions of 11.x have been sub-par to say the least... and there isn’t a jailbreak for 11.2.6. All that is just to say - it’s hard to see why anyone would care about this particular signing window closing.

Good riddance, as was stated by a previous poster.
[doublepost=1523052317][/doublepost]
I wish they would let us roll back tho.

If that were possible, I’d almost certainly put my iPad Mini 4 back on the 10.x line. But I’d probably keep my phone on 11.3 and only bank from that device...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The jury on 11.3 is still out; but certainly the earlier versions of 11.x have been sub-par to say the least... and there isn’t a jailbreak for 11.2.6. All that is just to say - it’s hard to see why anyone would care about this particular signing
window closing.

If that were possible, I’d almost certainly put my iPad Mini 4 back on the 10.x line. But I’d probably keep my phone on 11.3 and only bank from that device...

For jailbreakers emd of 11.2.6 signing means end of 11.0-11.1.2 signing on all devices except X/8 (blobs were invalid) provided you had blobs at the time
Those versions were signed

Because 11.3 SEP doesn’t work with those, whereas 11.2.6 did.

Tl;dr futurerestore process no longer works

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
The jury on 11.3 is still out; but certainly the earlier versions of 11.x have been sub-par to say the least... and there isn’t a jailbreak for 11.2.6. All that is just to say - it’s hard to see why anyone would care about this particular signing window closing.

11.3's Secure Enclave Processor code is incompatible with any version less than 11.3, meaning that those who have jailbroken can't restore to the same version of their OS anymore. It's a bit complicated.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Exactly! Anyone who’s on iOS 11 would be crazy to be on any version other than 11.3. It’s clearly the most stable, the battery drain is gone and most of the UI glitches have been fixed. Same goes for WatchOS 4.3, tvOS 11.3 and macOS 11.3.4.
On the other hand there are those with battery issues on iOS 11.3 and going back to 11.2.6 resolved those for them. There's also an issue with MDM not working when it comes to 11.3, so certainly not so good for those that use that. So not that crazy after all.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Exactly! Anyone who’s on iOS 11 would be crazy to be on any version other than 11.3. It’s clearly the most stable, the battery drain is gone and most of the UI glitches have been fixed. Same goes for WatchOS 4.3, tvOS 11.3 and macOS 11.3.4.

11.1.2 is stable for me, and allows me to get rid of the home bar on the X. Stable as 11.3 may be, it currently doesn't allow me to do simple things that Apple decided I shouldn't be allowed to do.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
Just imagine how many people would leave iOS 11 if they could. Apple should at the very least give the power to the consumer to turn off updates from downloading and pestering users when plugged in and connected to wifi.
The only work around to avoid this right now is to block the Apple update server in router settings of every wi-fi network you own and disable wifi when plugged in for every other scenario. Not practical.

techblogger911

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2018

IPSW-250x250.png
Following the release of iOS 11.3 last week, Apple has stopped signing iOS 11.2.6, the previous version of iOS that was available to consumers.

iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch owners who have upgraded to iOS 11.2.6 will no longer be able to downgrade to earlier versions of iOS.

Apple routinely stops signing older versions of software updates after new releases come out in order to encourage customers to keep their operating systems up to date.

iOS 11.3 is now the only version of iOS 11 that can be installed on iOS devices by the general public, but developers and public beta testers can download iOS 11.4, an update that is currently being beta tested.

Article Link: Apple Stops Signing iOS 11.2.6 Following iOS 11.3 Release
When exactly is the release of the new upcoming version?

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
This is one class action lawsuit I WISH would happen against Apple.
When Apple stopped signing 10.3.2, they had my iPhone replacing the battery. When I got it back, it did not have 10.3.2 on it anymore and I couldn't put it back meaning I paid Apple to basically disable all my 32 bit programs without knowing.

This should just not happen. It should have been my decision. And any person who goes through this situation should be able to put the OS they want on it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This debate will continue but I fear the trend is to tie/push everyone to the latest version of whatever bloatware we are forced to use. Of course, we can choose to not use any fancy tech at all and go back to a simple burner phone. But what could we do without those techs?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
11.3 is arguably the best iteration of iOS11 so far. So good riddance, and finally.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Just imagine how many people would leave iOS 11 if they could. Apple should at the very least give the power to the consumer to turn off updates from downloading and pestering users when plugged in and connected to wifi.
The only work around to avoid this right now is to block the Apple update server in router settings of every wi-fi network you own and disable wifi when plugged in for every other scenario. Not practical.
Just how to downgrade my 4S, in the process of returning to iOS 6 for faster camera and phone.
And since I kept all my app versions and the app store in iTunes 12.6.4 I can install older apps that are no longer available.

Reactions: logicstudiouser

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I wish I could install iOS 11 on my iPad 2, iow apple still supported 32 bit devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.