Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Pokémon Company today announced the upcoming launch of Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!, two games designed for the Nintendo Switch.

The two new Pokémon: Let's Go games are designed to connect to Pokémon Go on the iPhone and other mobile devices and offer many of the gameplay functions that are available in Pokémon Go.

Players will be able to catch Pokémon using Pokémon Go on iOS or Android and then transfer those Pokémon over to the switch. Any of the original 151 Pokémon from the Kanto region can be transferred over to the Switch using Bluetooth.

As demonstrated in the video accompanying the announcement, a player captures a Dratini on a smartphone and then pulls out a Switch to transfer the Dratini to something called the "GO PARK" where the player is able to interact with the Pokémon.

The video also shows a Nintendo Switch user sending a present to a Pokémon Go player on an Android device, suggesting gifts will also be able to be exchanged cross device.

Pokémon Let's Go gameplay was inspired by Pokémon Yellow, where Pikachu followed the player throughout the game, and The Pokémon Company says the two games are designed for players "taking their first steps into the Pokémon video game world."
"With the launch of Pokémon GO in 2016 and the global sensation that ensued, millions of new players were introduced to the world of Pokémon," said Junichi Masuda, director at GAME FREAK inc. "For many people, Pokémon GO was their first experience with the Pokémon brand, so we have crafted these two new titles to be an accessible entry point to our core RPG series while giving our longtime fans a new way to play Pokémon."
Gameplay in Pokémon Let's Go, as with other Pokémon games, consists of capturing, leveling, and fighting Pokémon. Local multiplayer gameplay is supported, with two Pokémon catchers able to team up to catch Pokémon.

The Pokémon Company says that in addition to integration with Pokémon Go on Switch, "something special" will be coming to the world of Pokémon Go in the future "making the connection between both games even more appealing for trainers."

Pokémon Let's Go for the Switch will be accompanied by a new Poké Ball Plus accessory that can be used in lieu of a standard Nintendo Switch controller for capturing and interacting with Pokémon. The Poké Ball Plus is also compatible with Pokémon Go and can be used to catch Pokémon instead of the existing Pokémon Go Plus accessory.

The Poké Ball Plus offers motion controls and it lights up, vibrates, and plays sounds. Players who capture a Pokémon using the Poké Ball Plus will be able to feel it move around inside the ball.

Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! and Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu! will be released on November 16, 2018. The Poké Ball Plus will be available for purchase at retailers on the same day.

Nintendo today also launched a new free-to-play game on the Nintendo Switch called Pokémon Quest, which is coming to mobile devices in late June.

Pokémon Quest, an RPG developed by Game Freak, is set in Tumblecube Island, where everything is a cube, including Pokémon. The idea is to travel through the island hunting for treasure, capturing Pokémon, discovering new areas, decorating a base camp, and more.

Article Link: Upcoming 'Pokémon: Let's Go' Game for Nintendo Switch Will Offer Integration With Pokémon Go on iOS

Reactions: travis64

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
This game is still popular. I play with my son (5 years old) nearly every week. He loves it. On the park near me are lots of people walking around playing it. When there are community days expect to see groups of 20-30 people playing it (children and adults). When I went to buy my Apple Watch there was 3 parents and about 12 children playing it. One of them noticed I was playing with my son and shouted "I got shiney Charizard!".

So, I think it's really popular near me.

I haven't spent a penny. Coins, balls, can all be obtained free by walking.

The switch game looks awesome!

Last edited:

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I wasn’t aware that it’s still being played that heavy. Oh well, it will make some people happy I guess.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
All I can think of right now is the tens of millions of Switches that were just sold as a result of that trailer.

Pokemon is what sells Nintendo’s dedicated handheld systems. I expect it’ll do the same thing on the Switch.

Although with these names, I wonder how lopsided this is going to be in favor of the Pikachu version. I expect any of the original starters would have had more balanced sells against Pikachu, but Eevee? It’s a popular Pokémon, don’t get me wrong, but Pikachu is the mascot of the entire series and probably rivals Mickey Mouse in how many people know it.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I wasn’t aware that it’s still being played that heavy. Oh well, it will make some people happy I guess.

Like someone said, while maybe not as insane crazy as release, the town square has like 6 pokestops and 2 bases... and I always see plenty of people playing when I go out... by and large pokemon go people tend to be very friendly and easy to approach to share activities like raids and lures. Blows my mind how many people I see playing. I guess I would see the same if i could look into people's homes and see them at their xboxes or whatever.

Reactions: tk421

slimtastic

Suspended
May 17, 2018
Your Mother's Bedroom
If you check the numbers, MOST people stopped playing years ago. However, there are still a good number that do play. But I definitely think they should focus their efforts elsewhere. Pokemon GO is quite stale.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
it kind of is, kind of isn't
when you think even if 1-5% of overall lifetime user base of 800,000,000+ are still playing thats still alot of people

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
If you check the numbers, MOST people stopped playing years ago. However, there are still a good number that do play. But I definitely think they should focus their efforts elsewhere. Pokemon GO is quite stale.

Got to love forums for the folks that talk definitively about the wrong thing .. if you are talking YEARS ago, you are talking Pokemon the card game.. we are discussing Pokemon the App, which saw more than 40 Million downloads, has not been out for years. and sure maybe those numbers are less than the original card game, but for an App its great. And I suppose you are going to call the Star Wars franchise stale because its been out for even longer. Time has nothing to do with this, fact is plenty of people ARE playing the mobile app version and this is great news for those that do and want a Switch as well (I have mine already). This will be a huge money maker by most measures. Could it have been better with different timing etc? Sure. But again, not the issue. Will they sell a ton of switch games? yep. Will people play the mobile versions? yep.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
personally I was extremely disappointed I was wanting a mainline Pokemon game this year not a hodge podge of Pokemon and Pokemon Go.
At least they mentioned 2019 for a proper Pokemon

slimtastic

Suspended
May 17, 2018
Your Mother's Bedroom
Got to love forums for the folks that talk definitively about the wrong thing .. if you are talking YEARS ago, you are talking Pokemon the card game.. we are discussing Pokemon the App, which saw more than 40 Million downloads, has not been out for years. and sure maybe those numbers are less than the original card game, but for an App its great. And I suppose you are going to call the Star Wars franchise stale because its been out for even longer. Time has nothing to do with this, fact is plenty of people ARE playing the mobile app version and this is great news for those that do and want a Switch as well (I have mine already). This will be a huge money maker by most measures. Could it have been better with different timing etc? Sure. But again, not the issue. Will they sell a ton of switch games? yep. Will people play the mobile versions? yep.
Nah.. I think you're mistaken. The game came out almost exactly 2 years ago which means GREATER THAN 1 year ago = "YEARS". It was a massive hit/fad for a month or two. Then, MOST people left. AKA more than 50%. I don't think I need to teach these words here, but I've spelled it out as best I can. Sure, a LOT of people still play, but more than 50% have left, as you can compare from the numbers at release to the numbers Niantic released just a few months ago.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
it kind of is, kind of isn't
when you think even if 1-5% of overall lifetime user base of 800,000,000+ are still playing thats still alot of people

Yeah, I guess you tend to underestimate what still is around as you only remember that massive buzz when it arrived.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Nah.. I think you're mistaken. The game came out almost exactly 2 years ago which means GREATER THAN 1 year ago = "YEARS". It was a massive hit/fad for a month or two. Then, MOST people left. AKA more than 50%. I don't think I need to teach these words here, but I've spelled it out as best I can. Sure, a LOT of people still play, but more than 50% have left, as you can compare from the numbers at release to the numbers Niantic released just a few months ago.

ah 'almost exactly'.. is that like 'military intelligence?' If you want to be exact, it came out exactly July 6, 2016. Not two years ago. Less. And certainly not that long ago as to be 'stale' according to your original post. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt when I thought you were talking about the card game which really IS old and currently not nearly as large as it used to be. But sure, round up, split hairs on percentages, doesn't take away that you are just wrong that it should be dropped. That was your premise right? So stale that it should be dropped by the company? Its a money maker enjoying a success that most mobile games only dream of. If you look at the apple chart of top five grossing games, there it is.

Its going to continue to make money the likes of which most never see. And it will make money on the Switch too.

Cant wait to see it.

Reactions: CarlJ

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Actually, no. I just dabbled in it this week. It would, however, have been a better catalyst for Switch sales and the game specifically if it had come during the peak of enthusiasm and nostalgia.
How so? The Switch wasn't released until March 2017. The huge fad part of Pokemon Go, with everyone playing, was over by that point. The point in time you describe doesn't exist.
[doublepost=1527713287][/doublepost]
Like someone said, while maybe not as insane crazy as release, the town square has like 6 pokestops and 2 bases... and I always see plenty of people playing when I go out... by and large pokemon go people tend to be very friendly and easy to approach to share activities like raids and lures. Blows my mind how many people I see playing.
The game is still going strong, just not at the crazy faddish level it was during the first couple months (no fad ever hold the mass public's interest for long - that's inherent in the definition of "fad" - and they move on to something else). Here in San Diego, there's a large Discord server with thousands of people coordinating raids, and there are plenty of smaller Discords and Facebook groups for particular neighborhoods. On Community Days, we easily see thousands of people playing together in the biggest park in the city, with many others in various other parks. Any weekend it's easy to find groups of people out raiding together. And there's a thriving community of hardcore players on reddit, called The Silph Road.

Plenty of other games would kill to have as much popularity, as many players, and as much revenue, as this game that most people think of as a "failure". It's always funny when we have 30 or 40 people gathered somewhere for a raid and someone asks what we're doing and we say "Pokemon Go" and they say "but nobody plays that any more" - while staring at the large group of people in front of them. Cognitive dissonance FTW.

Last edited:

slimtastic

Suspended
May 17, 2018
Your Mother's Bedroom
ah 'almost exactly'.. is that like 'military intelligence?' If you want to be exact, it came out exactly July 6, 2016. Not two years ago. Less. And certainly not that long ago as to be 'stale' according to your original post. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt when I thought you were talking about the card game which really IS old and currently not nearly as large as it used to be. But sure, round up, split hairs on percentages, doesn't take away that you are just wrong that it should be dropped. That was your premise right? So stale that it should be dropped by the company? Its a money maker enjoying a success that most mobile games only dream of. If you look at the apple chart of top five grossing games, there it is.

Its going to continue to make money the likes of which most never see. And it will make money on the Switch too.

Cant wait to see it.
Lol, it's greater than 1 year which = years. So no, I was not wrong in any sense of the statement. Try again. However, with that said, I think you need to read my ENTIRE statement. Sure, plenty of people still play. Not sure how many are still PAYING for it though, but yes they should focus their funds towards better games that actually have some substance. The reason Pokemon GO died so quickly was because it was pointless. If they put the money towards a full-fledged Pokemon game or something similar, they'd make exponentially more money.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Not sure how many are still PAYING for it though, but yes they should focus their funds towards better games that actually have some substance. The reason Pokemon GO died so quickly was because it was pointless. If they put the money towards a full-fledged Pokemon game or something similar, they'd make exponentially more money.
A lot of people are still paying a lot of money. It's disingenuous to say it "died so quickly" when it didn't die. It's not the huge fad it was during the first few months, but it's still going strong. And you're aware that Niantic is working on a Harry Potter game, right? That may have a bit more substance. Actually, Ingress has a lot more substance than Pokemon GO - it has real depth, with layers of strategy. The design of the gameplay is fairly brilliant. It's like a sport for nerds. It never made much money, because for a long time there wasn't even anything available to buy in-game, but it got them the mapping data they needed in order to make PoGo and the upcoming Harry Potter game.

slimtastic

Suspended
May 17, 2018
Your Mother's Bedroom
A lot of people are still paying a lot of money. It's disingenuous to say it "died so quickly" when it didn't die. It's not the huge fad it was during the first few months, but it's still going strong. And you're aware that Niantic is working on a Harry Potter game, right? That may have a bit more substance. Actually, Ingress has a lot more substance than Pokemon GO - it has real depth, with layers of strategy. The design of the gameplay is fairly brilliant. It's like a sport for nerds. It never made much money, because for a long time there wasn't even anything available to buy in-game, but it got them the mapping data they needed in order to make PoGo and the upcoming Harry Potter game.
If you look at the numbers, it's not even close to what it was when it launched. For all intents and purposes, it's dead to most people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.