Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The very first Apple Store opened its doors on May 19, 2001, at the Tysons Corner Center shopping mall in McLean, Virginia, near Washington D.C. Now, just over 17 years later, those doors may soon close temporarily.

apple-tysons-old.jpg
Apple Tysons Corner

Planning documents filed with the Department of Planning and Zoning in Fairfax County, Virginia this month, viewed by MacRumors, reveal that Apple plans to make significant interior alterations to the store, with demolition work involved, suggesting that the location is set to receive a facelift.

The permits issued don't indicate when renovations will begin, nor is it clear whether Apple will modernize the current store, or relocate to a different area of the shopping mall, as it has done with some of its other stores. An anonymous tipster tells us the store may move to the opposite end of the mall.

Apple Tysons Corner has a lot of nostalgia attached to it, as the company's first-ever retail store. Shortly before it opened to the public, the late Steve Jobs previewed the store to a group of journalists, including Walt Mossberg, introducing iconic features like the Genius Bar that still exist today.

Just months after the dot-com collapse, some critics viewed the Apple Store as a risky move. But, some 500 people lined up at Apple Tysons Corner for its grand opening, foreshadowing the long queues on iPhone launch days.

Together with Apple's store in Glendale, California, which opened the same day, the two locations welcomed over 7,700 people and sold a combined total of $599,000 of merchandise during their first two day weekend, according to Apple's press release at the time. It was considered a resounding success.

Apple Tysons Corner has already received a facelift at least once before, in the 2000s, losing its iconic black entrance with two Apple logos, which remains in use at just three stores: Tice's Corner, Southpoint, and Cherry Creek.

apple-tysons-corner-black-front.jpg
Apple Tysons Corner with its original storefront

Apple has been renovating dozens of its stores around the world since 2015, an initiative led by its design chief Jony Ive and retail chief Angela Ahrendts. The new look often includes wide, open spaces with sequoia wood tables and shelves, large 8K video screens for in-store events, and sometimes indoor trees.

Apple's website does not yet reflect any upcoming store closure at Tysons Corner.

Update: Upon review of further planning documents, it appears the renovations are limited to the store's break room.

Article Link: The First-Ever Apple Store, Introduced by Steve Jobs in 2001, Set to Receive Facelift [Update: No]

Last edited:

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
How are they going to "demolish" it?

It's a big empty space.. just move the furniture around, change flooring, and repaint. =^D

Harold N Maude

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018

The very first Apple Store opened its doors on May 19, 2001, at the Tysons Corner Center shopping mall in McLean, Virginia, near Washington D.C. Now, just over 17 years later, those doors may soon close temporarily.

apple-tysons-old.jpg

Apple Tysons Corner

Planning documents filed with the Department of Planning and Zoning in Fairfax County, Virginia this month, viewed by MacRumors, reveal that Apple plans to make significant interior alterations to the store, with demolition work involved, suggesting that the location is set to receive a facelift.

The permits issued don't indicate when renovations will begin, nor is it clear whether Apple will modernize the current store, or relocate to a different area of the shopping mall, as it has done with some of its other stores. An anonymous tipster tells us the store may move to the opposite end of the mall.

Apple Tysons Corner has a lot of nostalgia attached to it, as the company's first-ever retail store. Shortly before it opened to the public, the late Steve Jobs previewed the store to a group of journalists, including Walt Mossberg, introducing iconic features like the Genius Bar that still exist today.

Just months after the dot-com collapse, some critics viewed the Apple Store as a risky move. But, some 500 people lined up at Apple Tysons Corner for its grand opening, foreshadowing the long queues on iPhone launch days.

Together with Apple's store in Glendale, California, which opened the same day, the two locations welcomed over 7,700 people and sold a combined total of $599,000 of merchandise during their first two day weekend, according to Apple's press release at the time. It was considered a resounding success.

Apple Tysons Corner has already received a facelift once before, in the late 2000s, losing its iconic black entrance with two Apple logos which remains in use at just three stores: Tice's Corner, Southpoint, and Cherry Creek.

apple-tysons-corner-black-front.jpg

Apple Tysons Corner with its original storefront

Apple has been renovating dozens of its stores around the world since 2015, an initiative led by its design chief Jony Ive and retail chief Angela Ahrendts. The new look often includes wide, open spaces with sequoia wood tables and shelves, large 8K video screens for in-store events, and sometimes indoor trees.

Apple's website does not yet reflect any upcoming store closure at Tysons Corner. We've reached out to the company for comment.

(Thanks, Stuart!)

Article Link: The First-Ever Apple Store, Introduced by Steve Jobs in 2001, Set to Receive Facelift
[doublepost=1532102152][/doublepost]Except Apple Store #1 is considered by Apple to be Glendale Galleria in Glendale California, it reflects this on your receipt when you buy something from that store

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m sure they will renovate in some commemorative way with Steve Jobs being this his first store, and rightfully so, as there is heritage behind this store since 2001. Hard to believe that was 17 years ago.

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I remember hearing a lot of Very Smart People back then talking about how crazy Apple was, trying to break into the retail space, and how all the established companies were going to eat their lunch, and how the notion of a store devoted only to fancy-pants too-expensive Apple crap was doomed to fail and blah blah blah.

Heck, I think I might even have been nodding my head in agreement to some extent.

And that's why I'm who I am and Steve Jobs was who he was, I suppose.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Love the red phone from the 80's at the Genius Bar that served as the 'Hotline to Cupertino'. Was it actually used for that purpose?

Reactions: AngerDanger

lilrush

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
I miss this guy. I worked in the apple store under both him and Tim. I remember taking a moment of silence in store when he died, and collecting post it notes of messages from apple fans afterward. There was a giant change in Apple culture after Steve was gone. I can't really describe it but the energy was gone. It became like a used car dealership in terms of sneaky sales tactics, with management breathing down your neck to sell people apple care. Anyway, miss Steve and his vision.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Would be a good idea to take a huge picture of the original inside as something you see when you enter the new building to remind you of Steve with a small monument acknowledging this fact regarding the new design.

trichardlin

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
California
Home user products on the right, "Pro" machines are on the left. Today we are abandoned with right side products only.

Actually, I think everyone has become a pro these days. Have you seem what the kids are doing these days, crazy stuff. What is gone is the old fashion geek market. Old, tired, clunky, ugly stuff that you have to get your hand greasy to use it.
They maybe high performing, but not for 99% of the folks.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
[doublepost=1532102152][/doublepost]Except Apple Store #1 is considered by Apple to be Glendale Galleria in Glendale California, it reflects this on your receipt when you buy something from that store
Technically true. R001. You're right.

I still consider Tysons Corner to be the first store though, considering it was the first to have a customer walk in the door, given the time zone difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.