Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Five months after performing a test that put the smart speakers of multiple companies in the spotlight to determine how well they performed in various categories, Loup Ventures is back today with an IQ test focused entirely on digital AI assistants. To get the necessary results, the researchers asked Siri, Google Assistant, Alexa, and Cortana 800 questions each on a smartphone, and compared their findings to a previous AI test held in April 2017.

siri-iphone-x.jpg

For Siri in the new test, Apple's AI helper understood 99 percent of the queries and answered 78.5 percent of them correctly. That's an improvement on a similar AI-focused test from April 2017 (66.1 percent of 800 questions answered correctly). While Loup Ventures looked at similar methodologies when testing smart speakers in February, the researchers explain that it's "not worthwhile to compare" the results across these tests since "the use cases differ greatly between digital assistants and smart speakers."

This is particularly true for Siri on HomePod, which performs well in certain areas but is largely limited to the amount of actions it can perform on the speaker itself. This led Apple's HomePod to become relegated to the "bottom of the totem pole" in an AI assistant performance test during Loup Venture's smart speaker research in February, with Siri answering 52.3 percent of 782 total questions correctly, across the same five categories as the new test.

Loup Ventures grades each digital assistant on two metrics: "Did it understand what was being asked?" and "Did it deliver a correct response?" Questions came from five categories, including Local (example: "Where is the nearest coffee shop?"), Commerce ("Can you order me more paper towels?"), Navigations ("How do I get to uptown on the bus?"), Information ("Who do the Twins play tonight?"), and Command ("Remind me to call Steve at 2pm today").

loup-ventures-july-test.jpg
Charts via Loup Ventures

Questions were asked of Siri on an iPhone running iOS 11.4, Google Assistant on a Pixel XL, Alexa on the iOS app, and Cortana on the iOS app. Siri's best category was Command (90 percent of questions answered correctly), outperforming all rivals when asked to control aspects of the iPhone, smart home products, Apple Music, and more. Following Command, Siri performed well in Local (87 percent), Navigation (83 percent), and began dipping in Information (70 percent) and Commerce (60 percent).
Google Assistant has the edge in every category except Command. Siri's lead over the Assistant in this category is odd, given they are both baked into the OS of the phone rather than living on a 3rd party app (as Cortana and Alexa do). We found Siri to be slightly more helpful and versatile (responding to more flexible language) in controlling your phone, smart home, music, etc. Our question set also includes a fair amount of music-related queries (the most common action for smart speakers). Apple, true to its roots, has ensured that Siri is capable with music on both mobile devices and smart speakers.
Google Assistant was the top digital assistant in all categories except Command, with Loup Ventures particularly liking Google's "featured snippets" feature that reads off search results of voice queries and is often "exactly what you're looking for." Both Alexa and Cortana were lesser performers in the test due to the iOS app for each limiting what the assistants can do on an iPhone, unlike Siri's ability to perform tasks all over iOS and not just in one app.

In total, Google Assistant answered 85.5 percent of the 800 questions asked correctly and understood all of them, compared to Siri's 78.5 percent answered correctly and 11 misunderstood. Alexa correctly answered 61.4 percent and misunderstood 13, while Cortana was the "laggard" and correctly answered 52.4 percent and misunderstood 19.

loup-ventures-july-test-2.jpg

Over the 15 month period since April 2017, Siri improved by 13 percentage points, with Loup Ventures pointing out that it was "impressed with the speed at which the technology is advancing" for most of the assistants. The researchers went on to explain that many of the issues they had last year were erased by "improvements to natural language processing and inter-device connectivity."

Loup Ventures also sees more improvements coming down the line, particularly for Siri. This fall, the digital assistant will gain new abilities with Apple's upcoming "Siri Shortcuts" feature in iOS 12, which will let users create automations between apps that can be easily triggered through voice commands. The researches say they are "eager to test that feature" when it launches within iOS 12, likely coming in September.

Article Link: Siri on iOS Answered 78.5% of Queries Correctly in Latest Test, Trailing Google Assistant at 85.5%

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Siriously still bad.
Absolutely not. Sure whiners will always say that.
Siri was and it is great, few years ago was impossible to dream of speak to your device. I use Siri about every hour for work.
Internet forums users tend to bash everything. Siri also is available on many languages and it is a big plus.
Cortana is quite bad for example, want to bash something? Cortana is there.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
This is good news. Though it isn't shocking, since the test was performed on a phone. I'd like to see the same thing done a Google Home, Echo, and HomePod. (Is there a Cortana enabled speaker? I don't know). I imagine Alexa would fare much better, though not certain.

Reactions: jacksmith21006

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I'd like to see a bit more fair comparison; ask Alexa on a Kindle (or even Android) device, and Cortana on a Windows PC (or even Android device).

That being said, I'm glad we have some quantifiable numbers that Siri is indeed improving. For my purposes, she's always been spot on.

Reactions: avatar77

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
Siri was and it is great, few years ago was impossible to dream of speak to your device. I use Siri about every hour for work.
Internet forums users tend to bash everything. Siri also is available on many languages and it is a big plus.

You use Siri for work? You must not do anything meaningful.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

You know what's more annoying than "whiners?", people who label anyone who has an opinion or criticism that doesn't align with their own, a "whiner".

Glad you use it that much for work, you must have a job where you have to set a lot of timers :cool:

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I regularly use both Google and Siri, and while there is little doubt that Google is much better, neither are anywhere near the 80% mark. In both cases I need to query only very topics that I already know will work and I need to phrase things very carefully.
Basically in order to work, I had to be trained as much as the AI.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
So Siri’s not nearly the train wreck MacRumors forum posters endlessly and loudly claim it to be.

Never could have guessed...

Most improved, usually beaten by google, usually better than Alexa, and always beats Cortana; a lot of folks here aren’t going to want to hear this. Time to shoot the messenger I suppose.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Siri is getting smarter! :p

…. and I don't understand why Alexa is so over-rated. Both Google and Siri perform better than Alexa… and yet Alexa gets the lion's share of the hype.

Alexa is the user interface to a much more powerful system. Question answering is one thing, but Alexa controls for all devices in your home, online shopping, etc. Also, the cost for entry is very low. $20 or so, depending on the current sale, for an Echo Dot. So Alexa is found in many more households, or as in my case, in many more rooms of the same house.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Siriously still bad.
Compared to what? According to these results, Siri is a little or a lot better than both Alexa and Cortana. Siri is not quite as Good as Google Assistant but these tests are important because they invalidate all hyperbolic claims that Siri is worthless and/or Google Assistant is leaps and bounds ahead. We all have the feeling that Siri has fallen behind so these numbers seem to validate that. They do not validate opinions that claim Siri is either far ahead or way behind the competition.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
What surprises me is how bad Cortana is. I mean Microsoft looks like an incompetent company considering they are a primarily software company and how AI is part of their vision. And it shows how bad Amazon does as well, considering how many conversations their machines have eavesdropped. Compared to those, Siri looks amazing considering Apple's method of data collection.

And I do expect Google to be better than this. I mean consider the amount of data they have mined so far, it’s no excuse that they are not hugely better than Siri. What an embarrassment.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Things are going to improve quickly, as Apple poached Google’s chief of AI and search. Never understimate Apple’s will and resources.

Sure you don't mean "Never underestimate Apple's will and Google's resources" ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.