Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
So, I'm removing files off of my external hard drive (the one that I use for Time Machine Backups) and everything is going fine.

Out of the blue, I hear my fans start up like a jet taking off of a flight line. But nothing intensive has been running recently, so I decided to investigate.

I opened activity monitor and...HOLY CHRIST!!! This random process called "mds" is taking up 214.5% of my CPU.

Does anyone know what in the hell this process does? Please let me know :)

Here is the photo: http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m541/Mitch_Guzman/Screenshot2011-06-19at54243PM.png

Thanks,
Mitch Guzman

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Indexing what? All of the files that it's going to remove off of my external hard drive?

It changes the indexes that each drive has. It is logging the newly added files and removing the files that are no longer on the one drive. I suggest, adding the external drive(s) to Spotlight's Privacy list so it doesn't index them. The Privacy list is in the Spotlight pref pane.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Indexing what? All of the files that it's going to remove off of my external hard drive?
No, it's indexing drives so when you search, it can find things faster. You can also determine if it's indexing by the Menu Bar icon:
attachment.php
(not indexing)
attachment.php
(indexing)

Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.