214*F dGPU Mid '14 MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by close2reality, Feb 21, 2015.

1. close2reality macrumors 6502

So this thing is 3 weeks old, had lightroom, photoshop, quicken, and safari open. I just purchased a Canon 6D so I was installing the software package for EOS Utility etc. via external superdrive.

With all this happening, my CPU Cores reached 203*, my GPU GFX Core 212, GPU Analog (Iris) hit 212 and my dGPU (nvidia) hit 214.

It did not sustain for long as it spiked pretty quick once I started the EOS installer with all of that running but i was just a little alarmed and thrown off.

This ok behavior? All Temps are in F*

So basically I literally could have fried and egg on my dGPU last night...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with recent OS X versions. You can download it here.
    The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (GPU Tjmax may vary with specific models.)(Source: Intel)
    Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
    It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
    The fans in Macs are always on when the Mac is on, spinning at a minimum speed which varies by Mac model. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
    The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is on the back of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

3. close2reality thread starter macrumors 6502

These temps are from istat...did you think i pulled them out of a hat?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a standard response, since this question gets asked hundreds of times. As I said from the beginning, "If you're not already doing so…"

5. close2reality thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand theres a failsafe cutoff, does not warrant the laptop from border lining that cutoff. Has anyone experienced these temps?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, there have been hundreds of reports from users who saw such temps under extreme workloads. It is really quite normal.

7. Skika macrumors 68030

8. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

As others have stated, those temps are normal for the workload you are describing.

9. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Kicking the crap out of a system and driving its temperatures up as a result are not indicative of a problem, but higher-than-normal temperatures of a system, while idle, could be.

You are kicking the crap out of your system (running lots of stuff, making it really, really busy.) It's not uncommon to see high temperatures in that scenario.

10. case2001 macrumors 6502

As others have stated, if the system is under a heavy load it will generate heat. It is normal. The question in my mind is what happened with the temperature. Did fans ramp up and cool it down? Did you decrease the load by closing the programs?

If fans increased and controlled the temperature great, normal. If the system shut it self down, then I would say you might have problems. Also it is important to keep the vents open and clear so the fans can function normally.

If you closed the programs and the temperature came down, then again I would say normal. I know we are all very attached to our equipment, but my recommendation is use it, enjoy it, and if you did have a problem now is when you would want it to fail, while in warranty!

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Frequently, it`s a result of Apple`s focus on being thin & quiet, and there is little you can do about; elevation will help, as can third party fan control solutions such as Macs Fan Control to spool up the fans sooner rather than later.

The "thermal shock" induced by rapid heating and cooling of components certainly does nothing for longevity and the 15" MBP with discrete GPU has a poor track record of reliability, generally afflicted models failing 2-3 years down the line.

If your going to push the machine frequently, I would look to monitor and control the temperature as best you can. I personally have had no issue with any of my 15" MBS`s however many have not been so lucky; I try to keep them elevated on a passive aluminium cooler and take control of the fans, spooling them up far sooner and more aggressively as opposed to Apple`s present ridiculous 90C (194F)

Q-6