2142 for OS X/Cider/and Legal Windows Copy

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by palebluedot, Feb 13, 2009.

1. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

So I own (legally) Battlefield 2142 for Windows. I got Battlefield 2142 for OS X (distributed by EA also). I don't own the EA mac disc so I am trying to get the game to launch and play without the disc so I can play online.

I figured out that I can use the EA Link system to download Battlefield 2142 in Windows and not need the disc. The problem is figuring out how to edit the BF 2142 file to change from Battlefield 2142.exe to BF2142Launcher.exe as that is what the EA Link BF2142 is called (it bypasses the CD check legally).

Does anyone know where in the 2142 legal Mac verison the prefs files is that I can edit so it launched BF2142Launcher.exe instead of Battlefield 2142.exe (or whatever it is by default in Mac) so I can launch the game?

Thanks!

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I'm assuming the 2142 Mac version is Ciderized. Here's what you need to do:
    1. BACK UP EVERYTHING
    2. On the windows side, copy the BF2142launcher.exe to a flash drive or whatever method you want to put it on the mac side
    3. Go to your BF2142 folder on the mac side, right click it, and select 'Show Package Contents"
    4. Follow this path: Contents-->Resources-->transgaming-->c_drive-->Program Files-->BF2142 (or whatever the folder is called)
    5. Once you are in that folder, drop the BF2142launcher.exe from the flash drive or whatever into it
    6. Then go back to the contents folder (the first folder that was there when you hit show package contents)
    7. Open "info.plist" with TextEdit or your favorite .plist editor
    8. Scroll down until you see this line:
    <key>CedegaGameName</key>
    After that line, there should be something that looks like this:
    <string>c:\windows\Program Files\GAME MAKER FOLDER\GAME FOLDER\GAME.exe</string>
    9. Replace the "GAME.exe" (in this case, it will most likely be BF2142.exe) with "BF2142loader.exe"
    10. Save, exit, and double click the game in your applications folder, and hope it works

Good Luck and make sure you back up everything before you start messing around with is because it would suck if something happened and you lost the Mac install.

Edit: If you have any more questions, PM me and I'll try to help.

3. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Hey thanks for the reply! What is confusing me is 2142 for Mac doesn't seem to be like other CIDER wrapped games. For example here is the info.plist file

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
    	<string>English</string>
    	<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
    	<string>EA Game Register</string>
    	<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
    	<string>Battlefield 2142 1.25.485 (C) 2007 Electronic Arts Inc.</string>
    	<key>CFBundleIconFile</key>
    	<string>BF2142.icns</string>
    	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    	<string>com.ElectronicArts.ERegWeb.2142</string>
    	<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
    	<string>6.0</string>
    	<key>CFBundleName</key>
    	<string>EA Game Register</string>
    	<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
    	<string>APPL</string>
    	<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
    	<string>2142</string>
    	<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
    	<string>1</string>
    	<key>NSMainNibFile</key>
    	<string>MainMenu</string>
    	<key>NSPrincipalClass</key>
    	<string>NSApplication</string>
    	<key>LSEnvironment</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>InsufficientRenderers</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>Intel</key>
    			<string>Intel GMA 950 OpenGL Engine</string>
    		</dict>
    		<key>MinimumSystemVersion</key>
    		<string>10.4.9</string>
    	</dict>
    	<key>™EA</key>
    	<integer>125732</integer>
    </dict>
    </plist>

That string you said to change isn't even there :(

4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Hmm well it looks like it isn't cidered :(. You could make a Cider version tho, but I can't guarantee that it will work 100% but it's worth a try. Have you cidered a game before?

5. alkar macrumors regular

It is using Cider... the info.plist is inside another .app in Resources, I think it's Game.app or Battlefield 2142.app , i don't remember (yes, there is an app, inside the app)

6. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Well I don't have BF2142 so I can't see the actual folder or I could probably figure it out. Sorry man :(

7. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I think that it is cidered twice. There is a "disc check/ea registration" app that loads then loads the main app. What I am trying to do is make it run the BF2142Launcher.exe app which will bypass any Windows based disc check... basically I just want/need to play without a disc as my drive isn't working well.

Unfortunately there are no nocd's out for v 1.5 bf2142 :(

8. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Have you explored the BF2142 package contents? Because if you can find the original BF2142.exe that it loads, you should just be able to replace that with the patched version and play the game without a CD.