Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following teardowns of the new MacBook Air and Mac mini, the repair experts at iFixit have today published their teardown of the 11-inch iPad Pro.

ipad-pro-teardown-5.jpg
Images via iFixit

To start, iFixit removed the display from the tablet and the first thing they noticed were the audio components of the new iPad Pro, made up of four woofers and four tweeters.

ifixit-ipad-pro-teardown-1.jpg

The speakers and logic board cover impeded access to the iPad Pro's A12X Bionic chip, but eventually iFixit accessed the full logic board. On it, they found the A12X Bionic SoC, 64GB Toshiba flash storage, two Micron RAM totaling 4GB, the NFC controller, Apple's Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module, two Broadcom touch screen controllers, and a Texas Instruments power controller.

With its sights set on the iPad Pro's battery, iFixit discovered that the 2018 tablet's battery is slightly more repairable than the previous generation. This is because Apple is again using stretch-release battery tabs again with the 11-inch iPad Pro, with six U-shaped strips in total. iFixit explained that each of these strips include two tabs, so fixers have a second chance at repairability should one of them break.

pad-pro-2018-teardown-3.jpg

After this smooth opening with the adhesive strips, iFixit still faced a large amount of adhesive running down the left side of the battery. Eventually, the repair experts got the battery free and found a 7,812 mAh battery running at 3.77 V for 29.45 Wh, which is a slight downgrade in comparison to the 30.8 Wh pack of the 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

Looking at the Face ID components, iFixit pointed out that this is the same basic hardware previously seen in Apple devices since the iPhone X, just in "a slightly modified form factor." iFixit then removed the speakers, Apple Pencil charging board, and USB-C port, which is fully modular, unlike previous iPads. Unlike the Lightning ports on the older iPad models -- which were soldered to the logic board -- the USB-C port on the 11-inch iPad Pro can be replaced independently of the main logic board.

ipad-pro-teardown-4.jpg

Lastly, iFixit used its ultrasonic blade to teardown the new Apple Pencil and discover its battery, wireless charging coil, alignment magnets, and Broadcom touch controller. The experts also noticed what looked like a capacitive grid, thought to be used to register the user's tap inputs on the new Apple Pencil. According to iFixit, this particular grid also helps the Apple Pencil know where on the Pencil you tap, not just when, so the experts wondered if more complex gestures could be coming.

Overall, the 11-inch iPad Pro has received a 3/10 repairability score, with 10 being the easiest to repair. The major bonuses for the new iPad Pro's repairability were the modular USB-C port and lack of a physical home button, which "eliminated a common failure point" and could further simplify repairs. Still, iFixit noted that adhesive was nearly everywhere inside of the iPad Pro, and will make all repairs more difficult.

Article Link: iFixit Shares Full Teardown of 11-Inch iPad Pro and New Apple Pencil

Reactions: silvertech

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Looking at the Face ID components, iFixit pointed out that this is the same basic hardware previously seen in Apple devices since the iPhone X, just in "a slightly modified form factor."

So why no landscape FaceID on the phone? Unless it's down to the magic requiring the "slightly modified form factor."

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Finally went to the store and picked one of these up. All I can say is WOW. The weight, balance, and form factor are truly delightful, not even considering the amazing performance (and ProMotion screen which is fantastic as usual). Same for the pencil, it's basically perfect now. They really did an amazing job with the design of this.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Looking at the Face ID components, iFixit pointed out that this is the same basic hardware previously seen in Apple devices since the iPhone X, just in "a slightly modified form factor."

So why no landscape FaceID on the phone? Unless it's down to the magic requiring the "slightly modified form factor."

I don't know but it may come in a future iOS update or in next year's iPhone.
I just tried and it doesn't work, but if I rotate the iPhone about 45° it unlocks, so it shouldn't be too hard to fully support landscape.
How many times do you need to unlock it in landscape mode though?

Reactions: [AUT] Thomas

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Finally went to the store and picked one of these up. All I can say is WOW. The weight, balance, and form factor are truly delightful, not even considering the amazing performance (and ProMotion screen which is fantastic as usual). Same for the pencil, it's basically perfect now. They really did an amazing job with the design of this.

Welcome to the party :)

Reactions: Return Zero

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
...iFixit discovered that the 2018 tablet's battery is slightly more repairable than the previous generation.
Small point. The battery is more easily replaced, not repaired.

This is nice hardware. It's good that Apple keeps improving the hardware when other OEMs have basically abandoned tablet improvement. Now Apple just needs software to catch up with the hardware.

Reactions: sos47

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009

But is it $749 plus tax vs. $355(used-Swappa) better than a 10.5?

Reactions: RogerWilco

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
:apple: Ordered it, but I'm already asking myself whether or not it will be useful enough to justify. :( I gave away my last iPad because it didn't do much more than my iPhone 7 Plus. Now that I have the XS Max, this may be the same deal. Frankly, I thought for sure that developers like Adobe would've come out with more dedicated software by now.

I'm not a gamer, and I can't draw to save my rear. For me, the most useful purpose I can think of; would be to sign documents on the fly. Being so connected with the government; there are several instances where simulated electronic signatures are still not excepted. I'm also deeply involved in document management, so at least I can access and manipulate cloud-based files (or at least in theory). The most glaring obstacle with this device seems to be with the limitations of iOS.o_O

As much as I would like to see tablets to replace laptops; it appears that Apple is another two full generations away. It' obvious where the next iPad pro is heading regarding a smaller bezel and iOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyMacintosh

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
REALLY happy the USB-C port is modular.

Those ports (on various devices at work) have proven to be far less resilient than Lightning port hardware. I prefer being on the standard now, and it’s nice that Apple factored in some repairs.

Reactions: Mac 128

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Ordered it, but I'm already asking myself whether or not it will be useful enough to justify. I gave away my last iPad because it didn't do much more than my iPhone 7 Plus. Now that I have the XS Max, this may be the same deal. Frankly, I thought for sure that developers like Adobe would've come out with more dedicated software by now.

I'm not a gamer, and I can't draw to save my rear. For me, the most useful purpose I can think of; would be to sign documents on the fly. Being so connected with the government; there are several instances where simulated electronic signatures are still not excepted. I'm also deeply involved in document management, so at least I can access and manipulate cloud-based files. The most glaring obstacle with this device seems to be with the limitations of iOS.
You'd be better served by the $329 base iPad. If I ever decide to update the iPads in my home, it'll be with the base model. They're strictly consumption devices and rarely get used.

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018

FaceID on the new iPads is clearly superior to the iPhone's in real use. It is able to detect you from any orientation and from quite far away. Assuming the assembly is almost same it means it's a software thing. I don't know if the Neural Engine of the A12X chip is exactly the same as the one in A12 or not.

Reactions: agsystems

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
But is it $749 plus tax vs. $355(used-Swappa) better than a 10.5?
I never compare new to used prices. I will say, if you have the previous generation Pro already, that's still a great iPad and you probably don't need to upgrade, unless you absolutely need the new pencil. Coming from any other iPad, however, the new Pro is an absolutely massive and game-changing upgrade that is worth the cost (assuming you get good use out of the device and don't just use it for netflix and browsing social media).

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
I care as I find them incredibly interesting.

After seeing the internals, it's more clear where and how the technology is being leveraged. I've worked on ECU's and instrumentation in the military, so I also find this information to be interesting.

As for the iPad being mostly for 'consumption'; I agree, but in my case, that's about what I do with my 2017 MBP. However, I do prefer the file structure of macOS much more, but if I can use the iPad for longer charge periods; that may still be a plus. What we're really buying with all of this technology, is convenience.

Last edited:

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I never compare new to used prices. I will say, if you have the previous generation Pro already, that's still a great iPad and you probably don't need to upgrade, unless you absolutely need the new pencil. Coming from any other iPad, however, the new Pro is an absolutely massive and game-changing upgrade that is worth the cost (assuming you get good use out of the device and don't just use it for netflix and browsing social media).
I think that's it right there. I have the 10.5, which I paid $355 for. I don't use it for much hi powered stuff. I use it for a couple of light weight applications for work and content consumption. I can't see the new one being worth it...for ME. But it is a cool looking device and I'm sure I'll have one in 2-3 years. Unless my use for the device changes for some reason. I use mine instead of a laptop and I'm completely satisfied with it.

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
Nobody cares about an iPad tear down any more than they care about a TV tear down. These things for the most part are irreparable.
I always look forward to iFixit tear downs. There is no downside that I can see to exposing the parts and design of electronic devices, nor in informing the consumer of the repairability of products they may purchase. As expensive as these "throw away" gadgets have become, it's nice to know what the odds are that one could install a new battery or replace a port in the event of failure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.