Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Photos of Apple's rumored Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max have been uncovered in a product merchandising guide for Apple Premium Resellers that was obtained by the blog Appleosophy.

iPhone-XS-battery-case-merchandise-guide.jpg

The guidelines instruct Apple Premium Resellers how to organize Apple's various leather and silicone cases for the iPhone 7 through iPhone XS Max in their stores. While the photos are low resolution, two of the cases clearly have a battery pack hump and a cutout for the vertically-aligned rear camera on the latest iPhones.

The new Smart Battery Cases are listed as "leather" products, but this is likely a mistake, as they appear to be silicone in the photos like Apple's previous Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 7.

xs-xs-max-smart-battery-cases.jpg

The guidelines are dated "Fall 2018," suggesting that Apple planned to release the new Smart Battery Cases within the past few months. The season officially ends this Friday, December 21, so there's still some time. Of course, Apple may also delay the cases until 2019 or never end up releasing them.

9to5Mac, which confirmed the merchandising guide is legitimate, earlier discovered assets related to Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR within iOS and watchOS code. The assets suggest the cases might no longer have a "chin" extending past the bottom of the iPhone.

Apple's first Smart Battery Case was for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s, and was equipped with a 1,877 mAh battery that protruded out of the back of the case. Apple later released an iPhone 7 version with a similar design but larger 2,365 mAh battery. Both remain available for purchase for $99 in the United States.

At this point, ample evidence of Smart Battery Cases for the latest iPhones has surfaced, so all eyes are on Apple's online store.

Article Link: iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max Smart Battery Cases Spotted in Apple's Fall 2018 Merchandising Guide

hardwickj

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
I actually hope they are leather as I've gone through 3 of the silicone ones. The silicone gradually starts to shred at the corners, and then completely comes undone.

Thankfully all 3 of those times Apple has replaced them free of charge since it was within a year of the last, but it's still annoying. Trying to stuff an extra thick phone into your pocket with a rubbery/grippy flap hanging off the edge gets old fast.

Reactions: Pufichek

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
This is clearly an error, since the real Smart Battery Cases for earlier models don't even show up in that document.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I don't really need a battery case for my Max but if it did come in leather I might think about it. I like the leather cases once the new wears off and it gets some grip.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hopefully they will release this with AirPower and the updated AirPods early next year, but I kind of wonder if they’ll end up having a small event in early Spring for this, the iPad and iMacs.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
These images are not official. They are the same renders as the one used a few days ago.

LastStarfighter

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
UK
Personally I travel for business and I've found having the smart battery case on my iPhone 7 is extremely handy. I've not even considered upgrading to an X or above without them making a battery case for it. Not having to charge your phone on a trans-atlantic flight is really plesant.

When these come out it opens up a few options! I was hoping they'll release one for the XR though. With it's reportedly better battery life than the XS, plus a battery case it would be something I'd consider worth having.

To me, battery life is the number one feature for any mobile tech. I know not everyone sees it that way but I always have.

Reactions: jsf721 and AirunJae

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Really baffles me how Apple is so obnoxiously behind on random accessories.

1. Air Power
2. New Airpods charging case
3. iPhone XR cases
4. Battery Case (today's story)
5. Only 3 colors for iPad Pro cover
6. Seasonal watch band colors that they NEVER have enough of after a few weeks.

They sure as hell have enough stupid dongles to sell though.

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium

1. Air Power
3. iPhone XR cases

1. True
2. Never announced was it?
3. They were late but there were times that Apple didn't make cases so meh
4. Never announced was it?
5. Other options exist
6. Can't comment on that

Reactions: dominiongamma

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ

1. Air Power
3. iPhone XR cases

How can you be behind something they never promised on most of those? AirPod case yes, AirPod yes but the rest they never announced or promised

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Smart Battery Case aka The Hump 2 design by Tim Cook other than colorful bands I do believe especially The Hump that Tim Cook is finally had his hands and involved in designing this product.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Any specific time accessories are added to the online store or just random ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.