Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Multiple reports are coming in that Instagram has lost support for iPhone XR and XS Max screen resolutions in the latest update to its iOS app.

The issue has been highlighted on Reddit and Twitter after Instagram users updated to the latest version (75.0), which was pushed to the App Store on Wednesday.

instagram-iphone-xr-screen-issue-75.0.jpg
Instagram v74.0 (left) versus v75.0 (Image via @Wsig)

The resulting effect is that the Instagram interface looks as if it's been zoomed in, leading users to complain about blown out images, fuzzy text, abnormal spacing of icons and other graphical elements.

The issue isn't turning up for iPhone XS users who have updated the app, presumably because it shares the same resolution as the 2017 iPhone X. Instagram added support for the new iPhone XR and XS Max screen resolutions in October.

Now I know for sure it's not just me:@Instagram for iOS just un-optmized for iPhone XS Max (and presumably XR) screen resolutions in their latest (75.0) update.Compared below are my wife's XS Max running 74.0 & my XS Max running 75.0. Notice the story bubble spacing up top: pic.twitter.com/ePqKbYnvUL - Will Sigmon (@WSig) December 18, 2018

This is almost certainly an accident on Instagram's part, so it's likely to be fixed in the next update. iPhone XR and XS Max users who are experiencing the issue are advised to hold tight, and anyone who hasn't updated to v75.0 should probably wait until the next version is released.

We've reached out to Instagram to find out when that might be and will update this article if we learn more.

(Via Tehnot.com)

Article Link: Latest Instagram Update Breaks Support for iPhone XR and iPhone XS Max Screens

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
How do you screw up so badly that you basically push an old version as an update?

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
Is there a more toxic company on this planet than Facebook? Zuckerberg is a childish and evil POS.

Reactions: Chidi

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
I’m confused. Is the only difference that the fifth bubble is cut off?

If so, that may very well be intentional. It creates an impression that there’s more to the right and they should interact with the bar to see what else is there. Maybe there’s more than five? The five complete circles in the older version doesn’t communicate that.

It still could be an accident, but it does create a nice affordance.
[doublepost=1545317435][/doublepost]
Is there a more toxic company on this planet than Facebook? Zuckerberg is a childish and evil POS.

I was worried people would overreact. Glad I was wrong?

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I was looking at the pictures and wondering why I didn’t see this glaring horrible problem with resolution, but it seems folks are talking about the app layout? Honestly, I like it as it spreads the icons out a bit more as opposed to having the screen so crowded.

Just my humble opinion...

tzm41

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2014
Sunnyvale
I’m confused. Is the only difference that the fifth bubble is cut off?

If so, that may very well be intentional. It creates an impression that there’s more to the right and they should interact with the bar to see what else is there. Maybe there’s more than five? The five complete circles in the older version doesn’t communicate that.

It still could be an accident, but it does create a nice affordance.
[doublepost=1545317435][/doublepost]

I was worried people would overreact. Glad I was wrong?

The difference is that it is now going back to the unoptimized state of using iPhone X's resolution and stretching it to fit the XS Max/XR screens. Since the X screen is smaller you now get lower resolution display and all the elements look enlarged.

jmckinstry

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
While it does look weird on the main feed and pages, they fixed the Story upload on my Xs Max. I used to never be able to upload Story videos with good resolution but now I can.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
While it does look weird on the main feed and pages, they fixed the Story upload on my Xs Max. I used to never be able to upload Story videos with good resolution but now I can.

Look again (at those pictures, the notch isn't in the way.

I hope people would stop complaining about the notch, you most likely don't own one so you don't have a clue, not only that, it's a non issue.

There's not one single thread people not complaining about it, it has become a retarded meme.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009

This is almost certainly an accident on Instagram's part, so it's likely to be fixed in the next update. iPhone XR and XS Max users who are experiencing the issue are advised to hold tight, and anyone who hasn't updated to v75.0 should probably wait until the next version is released.

According to the article on 9to5, it's not an accident and was intentional because of having to use an older version of Xcode due to a crash for users on iOS 9.

I hope people would stop complaining about the notch, you most likely don't own one so you don't have a clue, not only that, it's a non issue.

There's not one single thread people not complaining about it, it has become a retarded meme.

And I hope people would stop repeating that same nonsense of people who don't like the notch don't own phones with one.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7 and deuxani

FairlyKors

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2018
Staines, East London

Or maybe people (like me) simply find the notch to genuinely compromise performance, and see it as an unnecessary design gimmick.

Just a screenshot, for instance, requires you to do a little bit of guessing as to what exactly is going to be included. If I’m trying to squeeze a detailed chart or list into one frame before a screenshot, the notch and round corners have made it slightly more complicated than it used to be—and at what benefit? The notch looks like ass, and until pixels are no longer square, rounded corners will simply cut things off unnaturally. Like opening a new tab in Safari using the bottom of the screen. With no definite edge I’ve found that space on the screen overlaping with buttons and and other elements. Safari is left guessing (just like me) as to how it’s going to act. Not the biggest deal, but since it worked better before, it’s just a step backward IMO.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.