Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Avi Bar-Zeev, who was the co-creator of Microsoft's HoloLens, has left his position at Apple, reports Variety.

Bar-Zeev was reportedly working on Apple's augmented reality headset, which rumors have suggested could launch as early as 2020. Bar-Zeev left his position at Apple in January and provided the following statement to Variety:
"I left my full-time position at Apple in January. I had the best exit one can imagine. I have only nice things to say about Apple and won't comment on any specific product plans."
Prior to joining Apple, Bar-Zeev worked at Microsoft and helped to found and invent the HoloLens, Microsoft's mixed reality headset. Before that, he worked at Disney and helped develop VR experiences, and he worked at Keyhole, a company that was purchased by Google and became the foundation of Apple Maps.

hololens-800x509.jpg
Microsoft's HoloLens

Bar-Zeev had been at Apple since 2016, presumably on the AR/VR team. His LinkedIn profile said that he led the "experience prototyping" team "for a new effort."

"Developed key prototypes to rapidly prove concepts, explore, educate and build support. Developed user stories and technical requirements for the long-term roadmap, while working across design and engineering to ensure success," reads Bar-Zeev's profile.

Since an intrepid reporter just asked me to comment, I'll share this with y'all too...I left my full-time position at Apple in January. I had the best exit one can imagine. I have only nice things to say about Apple and won't comment on any specific product plans. 1/2 - Avi Bar-Zeev (@avibarzeev) February 4, 2019

For the record, I helped invent Hololens and built the first prototypes to sell the idea. If I hadn't been there in January 2010, it might have started later without my help. Let's never forget the thousands of smart people who made it real. - Avi Bar-Zeev (@avibarzeev) February 4, 2019

Rumors have suggested Apple has a secret research unit comprising hundreds of employees working on AR and VR, exploring ways the emerging technologies can be used in future products.

Apple is said to have developed multiple virtual and augmented reality headset prototypes, and rumors seem to have coalesced around a pair of smart glasses that will be coming as soon as next year.

The Apple Glasses supposedly have a dedicated display, a built-in processor, and an "rOS" reality operating system based on iOS.

There have also been a few rumors suggesting Apple is also exploring a powerful AR/VR headset with 8K displays for each eye and support for both AR and VR applications.

It's not entirely clear just yet what Apple's first augmented or virtual reality headset will look like, but we may not have too much longer to wait to find out.

Article Link: HoloLens Inventor Avi Bar-Zeev Departs Apple's AR/VR Team

Reactions: jeremiah256

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
A major new product will have been largely finished by now if it’s coming out in 2020. At this point in the cycle, they’re working on marketing and planning mass production.

I can only see this amicable departure as “my job here is done”.

As the iPhone has reached a growth ceiling and the Watch and AirPods have become Apple’s current successes with years of growth ahead, it’s clear that wearables is the future of the company.

The trifecta of Watch + AirPods + Glasses have the potential to replace the iPhone as the always on us personal computer. 2020 is going to be a very important year for Apple.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The problem with glasses is how do they not make it like Google Glass, that ended up as a fail, in some due part because of privacy issues.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
A major new product will have been largely finished by now if it’s coming out in 2020. At this point in the cycle, they’re working on marketing and planning mass production.

I can only see this departure as “my job here is done”.

certainly the optimistic tea read... the sinister version might be "this is so f*cked I'm out of here..."

who leaves a success?

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
I wonder if it'll be an attachment for glasses? or a pair of glasses that you need to put your prescription in. I guess they got us all wearing the same watch, so now we can all wear the same glasses. (hopefully this isn't the case - glasses are a lot more personal than a watch that's half hidden most of the time).

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
certainly the optimistic tea read... the sinister version might be "this is so f*cked I'm out of here..."

who leaves a success?

I personally know people who worked at Apple and while they loved the prestige and the income, they couldn’t keep up with the pace. When you work at Apple, specially on a project of this magnitude, your life is dedicated to Apple. The story behind the iPhone is a good read that’ll give you an insight into why someone would leave Apple despite working on a successful product.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I wonder if it'll be an attachment for glasses? or a pair of glasses that you need to put your prescription in. I guess they got us all wearing the same watch, so now we can all wear the same glasses. (hopefully this isn't the case - glasses are a lot more personal than a watch that's half hidden most of the time).

The problem with glasses is how do they not make it like Google Glass, that ended up as a fail, in some due part because of privacy issues.

Rumours over the past year point to retinal projection. Rather than special lenses, there’d be a projector capable of following eye movements and accurately emmiting images directly onto the wearer’s retina.

This would allow the glasses to look fairly normal which I think is the critical element to mass adoption. If they look like a gadget, if you can see a screen anywhere on the lenses, they’re not going to be socially accepted.

Further, it’s a fair guess that these are going to be an iPhone and/or Watch accessory, not self contained so they won’t require bulky electronics embedded in the frame.

Apple will probably partner with a prescription glasses company, someone like Warby Parker, to order your prescription with the purchase of the Glasses. I expect several different models in different shapes and colours, similar to how the Watch was launched. Glasses are, after all, a fashion accessory first. That’s what Google got wrong.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Gaming, industrial work niche money losing waste of time for Apple.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
It probably is hard to concentrate when they cram a bunch of people in an open office. But on the flip side, if the VR headset was really good, you can put that on and work in a quiet office in an environment of your choosing.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I find these reports more troubling than anything about lost revenue in China or shoddy display connections. If Apple can't retain their innovators, then there's no future.

It's important not to put too much stock in the departure of one personality. Who knows why this guy left, and he's clearly got an ego to feed, but he delivered on Hololens and got it out of the lab into the market, which was a pretty remarkable step. Too many departures like this leads too too many doers and not enough vision.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Rumours over the past year point to retinal projection. Rather than special lenses, there’d be a projector capable of following eye movements and accurately emmiting images directly onto the wearer’s retina.

This would allow the glasses to look fairly normal which I think is the critical element to mass adoption. If they look like a gadget, if you can see a screen anywhere on the lenses, they’re not going to be socially accepted.

Further, it’s a fair guess that these are going to be an iPhone and/or Watch accessory, not self contained so they won’t require bulky electronics embedded in the frame.

Apple will probably partner with a prescription glasses company, someone like Warby Parker, to order your prescription with the purchase of the Glasses. I expect several different models in different shapes and colours, similar to how the Watch was launched. Glasses are, after all, a fashion accessory first. That’s what Google got wrong.
While I agree with nearly all you have to say, glasses are not a fashion accessory first. I would rather not have them at all.
This idea would work best if it could be unobtrusively attached, removed and reattached to multiple frames and the battery lasts all day.
In fact, why require glasses at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.