Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is reportedly in advanced talks with Taiwanese display manufacturers to use microLED displays in its products as soon as next year, according to a new report.

apple-watch-trio-2019.jpg

Citing sources with knowledge of Apple's supply chain, Chinese-language Economic Daily News says the company will be ready to launch an Apple Watch with a microLED screen in 2020, replacing the current use of OLED panels manufactured by LG Display.

MicroLED panels use different light-emitting compounds than the current OLED displays used in Apple Watch and should help to make future devices slimmer, brighter, and less power-hungry.

A previous rumor from DigiTimes suggested Apple will work with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) to develop MicroLED panels for Apple Watch, and that they could see production as soon as this year.

However, Bloomberg has a slightly different timeline for Apple's adoption of MicroLED and believes they won't appear in the Apple Watch until next year at the earliest, with a two-to-four year lead time for the iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Watch With MicroLED Display Could Launch in 2020

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
It goes back even further than that.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...ficient-micro-led-panels-for-2017-apple-watch

They literally have no idea when mLED is going to be a viable. But that won't stop them from trotting out the same tired rumor until they finally "get it right". Can't wait for next year's article.:rolleyes::D:p

Reactions: tongxinshe

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
Lyft, Twitter, Google Maps, Amazon, Instagram, eBay, Nest... All dropped their apple watch apps. I hope this will help save the platform. I really want that Lyft app back.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Lyft, Twitter, Google Maps, Amazon, Instagram, eBay, Nest... All dropped their apple watch apps. I hope this will help save the platform. I really want that Lyft app back.

I don't know if Instagram was ever that useful an app on the Apple Watch.

Hopefully, various API improvements and the introduction of SwiftUI will help rejuvenate interest in third-party apps.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

grayskies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
I need some form of always on display before I get another Apple Watch. 3 days run time would be needed as well.

I am ok with the thickness.

Yeah, I think the thickness is just fine. It isn’t any really more or less thick than most of my sport watches, digital or mechanical.

I would much rather have more functionality and certain longer battery life than a thinner design.

I held off of on AW forever; got AW3 and returned it. I just didn’t see the point of having it.

Two months ago I got AW4, and I absolutely love having it and the things it can do. I would be plenty happy with a few more mm of screen space.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
hard to believe it for 2020....since no one could shrink those microLED pixels...
I think microLED will come into small devices like apple watch or iphone...around 2023-2024

jonen

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
I've been planning on buying the AW Series 5 later this year, so I hate reading things like this. :(

Reactions: rattler

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I've been planning on buying the AW Series 5 later this year, so I hate reading things like this. :(
go ahead and buy it. I assure you that microLED is not coming in 2020 to apple watch

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.