Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Makes sense as OLED came to the Apple Watch a couple years before the iPhone. But 2020 seems kinda early given how much work there seems left to do to shrink down mLED.

My series 0 is in dire need of replacing, so I’m a definite maybe on a new one.
Oh no, just go to the store and buy one immediately. This rumor is for 2020. I mean, a new 2019 one is likely coming out in late September, but I couldn't stand using mine over a year ago and got the Series 4 when it came out. I couldn't imagine having to use it for yet another year. There are probably deals on the Series 4 at this point anyway. It's definitely not worth it to wait until 2020. At the very least upgrade in September, lol.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Not only are there yield issues, no one has actually figure out or even a demo a MicroLED display that offer better quality than the current crops of OLED. And OLED has a very clear Roadmap of improvement, while MicroLED is no where near production ready.

Of course Apple could be secretly working with TSMC on it, but then the method TSMC uses will never be scalable to iPhone size Panel.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
There aren't a lot of Apple products that should become a bit thinner, but Apple Watch is arguably one of them.
Apple Watch 4 measures 10.7mm in thickness (the original Series 0 is the thinnest at 10.5mm). A typical traditional 40mm watches measure about 7mm and 44mm about 9mm. It's worth noting that many upscale waterproofed watches are much thicker (e.g., Rolex Submariner is about 13mm and Omega Speedmaster is about 14mm).

While OLED isn't among the thickest part of Apple Watch, microLED is about 2/3 the thickness of OLED, so it should shave at least 1mm. So 9mm thick Apple Watch 6 is certainly possible.

Reactions: chucker23n1

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Apple Watch series 4: "Am I a joke to you?"
Oh it’s been a challenge not upgrading already lol.
[doublepost=1563817516][/doublepost]
Makes sense as OLED came to the Apple Watch a couple years before the iPhone. But 2020 seems kinda early given how much work there seems left to do to shrink down mLED.

Oh no, just go to the store and buy one immediately. This rumor is for 2020. I mean, a new 2019 one is likely coming out in late September, but I couldn't stand using mine over a year ago and got the Series 4 when it came out. I couldn't imagine having to use it for yet another year. There are probably deals on the Series 4 at this point anyway. It's definitely not worth it to wait until 2020. At the very least upgrade in September, lol.
It still tells time well enough and the battery still is strong. 50% at night. I’ll probably hold out until it stops completely. It does look rough though haha

Hi Tek

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Canada, Hali
It still tell time well enough and the battery still is strong. 50% at night. I’ll probably hold out until it stops completely. It does look rough though haha

Well it's just, my fiancé has the same Watch, she's been telling me as much of a basic user SHE is, she is finding that the watch is "slow". I really want to upgrader her to a series3...

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Well it's just, my fiancé has the same Watch, she's been telling me as much of a basic user SHE is, she is finding that the watch is "slow". I really want to upgrader her to a series3...
It’s insanely slow. My crown works about 30% of the time and I haven’t been able to use the mic in like 3 years lol. It’s only good for telling time and checking texts, but not responding. Yeah, it is time.

Hi Tek

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Canada, Hali
It’s insanely slow. My crown works about 30% of the time and I haven’t been able to use the mic in like 3 years lol. It’s only good for telling time and checking texts, but not responding. Yeah, it is time.

You gonna wait for the so called "series5"? - I haven't seen enough proof. Don't think it's gonna happen. + very, very content with my series4

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
You gonna wait for the so called "series5"? - I haven't seen enough proof. Don't think it's gonna happen. + very, very content with my series4
Not sure. I’ve nearly bought a series 4 a few times now, but I may wait until the fall to see what they release.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It still tells time well enough and the battery still is strong. 50% at night. I’ll probably hold out until it stops completely. It does look rough though haha
Oh man. Did you buy yours late in the Series 0 lifecycle? Mine was dying by late afternoon/early evening, so it couldn't even function as a watch at that point, lol.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Oh man. Did you buy yours late in the Series 0 lifecycle? Mine was dying by late afternoon/early evening, so it couldn't even function as a watch at that point, lol.
Nope, bought at launch. I work in mortar and grout with mine everyday(I do tile work) and that’s why the crown and mic don’t function but the battery still surprises me.

Reactions: macduke

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There aren't a lot of Apple products that should become a bit thinner, but Apple Watch is arguably one of them.

I'd rather have the same AWS4 thickness if that meant built-in Kenetic self-charging technology that with a shake of a wrist several times an hour could increase battery-life with a kenetic charge!

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I'd rather have the same AWS4 thickness if that meant built-in Kenetic self-charging technology that with a shake of a wrist several times an hour could increase battery-life with a kenetic charge!
You do know how extremely little energy a mechanical watch requires in comparison to an Apple Watch yeah?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It takes 24,000 arm swings to fully charge a 3V LiOn battery at 90mAh, meaning each arm swing generates about 0.000375mAh. It would take 666,666 arm swings to charge the 250mAh Apple Watch battery :p

I guess the equation left out is how often by habit can a person arm swing in an active day, and how consistently over a total amount of time does one have to do 666’666 arm swings?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I guess the equation left out is how often by habit can a person arm swing in an active day, and how consistently over a total amount of time does one have to do 666’666 arm swings?
Going by two swings per step you can easily calculate your daily average. If you do your "recommended" 10K steps a day, that's 20K swings per day. That's a bit over a month to charge the battery, so it drains approximately 17x faster than you can charge.

It wouldn't help much is what I am saying.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

mfvisuals

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
SacTown, CA
That’s all well and good. But I’m waiting for Apple to make the Watch independent of the iPhone. When that happens, I’m sold.

I think it is doable, but I'm not sure that I'd want to have to configure everything on the watch from the watch only. Unless they allow for either scenario.

rosswell

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
Seattle
I'm waiting for Apple to make notification settings on the Watch independent of notification settings on the iPhone before upgrading my Series 1.

To get notifications on both devices, with vibrations on the Watch, I have to disable wrist detection on the Watch, set all notifications on the iPhone to make sound, then leave both the iPhone and Watch on silent mode. It's super dumb.

Seems to me many of you have too much "time on your hands".

Don't sweat the little stuff, my Series 3 does all I need without much fine tuning of settings.
Battery life is great if you just use "touch mode" instead of the annoying "lift" mode, which activates many times during the night in bed just from moving around, annoying. I get 3 days battery life. I'm very happy with S3 but probably will get S4 this autumn.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Not only are there yield issues, no one has actually figure out or even a demo a MicroLED display that offer better quality than the current crops of OLED. And OLED has a very clear Roadmap of improvement, while MicroLED is no where near production ready.

Of course Apple could be secretly working with TSMC on it, but then the method TSMC uses will never be scalable to iPhone size Panel.

PlayNitride have shown a wearable sized microLED screen that apparently has 468 dpi. They have developed a “mass transfer” process that applies thousands of LEDs at a time, whereas many manufacturers can only transfer one.

There is no way to tell if the quality is better yet, but brightness is not a problem, and they apparently have the resolution.

Production viability has advanced this year with the option to create the screens with identical LEDs, then inkjet quantum dots on them to create RGB output. I don’t know if PlayNitride are doing that or not.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
PlayNitride have shown a wearable sized microLED screen that apparently has 468 dpi. They have developed a “mass transfer” process that applies thousands of LEDs at a time, whereas many manufacturers can only transfer one.

There is no way to tell if the quality is better yet, but brightness is not a problem, and they apparently have the resolution.

Production viability has advanced this year with the option to create the screens with identical LEDs, then inkjet quantum dots on them to create RGB output. I don’t know if PlayNitride are doing that or not.

The problem is, you either have MicroLED that can do Mass transfer ( or Mass transfer that is fast and easy to repair, as with PlayNitride ) but of lower(er) quality, or high ppi MicroLED that doesn't work with Mass Transfer. And this is from 2019, which really is no different to 2018, or 2017 ( From a Mass Production Stand point ).

And as far as I am aware, their transparent MicroLED display aren't anywhere as good as the Samsung OLED ones.

The second problem is OLED is getting cheaper, the projection is for OLED in general to be cheaper than LCD by 2022 for Smartphones.

I do wish PlayNitride can prove me wrong though.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The problem is, you either have MicroLED that can do Mass transfer ( or Mass transfer that is fast and easy to repair, as with PlayNitride ) but of lower(er) quality, or high ppi MicroLED that doesn't work with Mass Transfer. And this is from 2019, which really is no different to 2018, or 2017 ( From a Mass Production Stand point ).

And as far as I am aware, their transparent MicroLED display aren't anywhere as good as the Samsung OLED ones.

The second problem is OLED is getting cheaper, the projection is for OLED in general to be cheaper than LCD by 2022 for Smartphones.

I do wish PlayNitride can prove me wrong though.

My main point was there have been more advanced prototypes shown this year, so production feels closer. Maybe we will see them next year, maybe not.

But I do wonder if it takes too long, will electroluminescent quantum dots from Nanosys make it to the finish line first?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.