22" Dell or Samsung for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Matt342, Oct 28, 2007.

1. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The Dell is a decent screen for general use, but it does seem a shame to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. Personally, if buying a Mac Pro I wouldn't consider anything other than an Apple screen - especially if you do graphics work.

2. alexm13 macrumors member

im actually looking at thoses as well. so far im leaning more towards the samsung.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have been looking at either a new iMac when the issues are ironed out or just getting a new Monitor for my Pc. If I go the monitor route the samsung would be my first choice but the dell isnt that bad either.I saw the samsung at a staples at it looked good. I guess these are value leaders?

4. peelmanG4 macrumors newbie

I've got a 20" Samsung 205BW on my Mini and love it. The colors are gorgeous and for the price i can buy two of these for what one 20" ACD costs. The 204BW is the same thing with a slightly thinner bezel if you can't find the 205s anywhere. But if you're set on a 22" the Samsung model would be the way I'd go, its hard telling who Dell is having manufacture their panels this month. They are nice displays, to be sure, but I have a hard time trusting them when their manufacture is farmed out to the lowest bidder. Just my thoughts.

5. ale500 macrumors regular

At work we got a new (ugh) dell Precision Workstation, I really wanted a Mac Pro, but we were looking at twice the price ! (4 GB RAM, 2xDual core 3 GHz, Quadro FX3500, and monitor). So we got a 20" dell monitor, I got surprised that it came with composite and svideo inputs, especially because was a 4:3 format... but well. I did not test these inputs yet, but they wolud be great to hook up a receiver or a psx. Check if the 22" version came with those inputs, they could be handy !

Note: The memory and the Quadro killed the option of the MacPro. anyways we only wanted Stereo graphics, and 1500 Euro just for that... is a bit difficult to sustain. Is a shame Apple does not offer more video cards. Well everyone knows their memory is overpriced. (I was looking forward to more Macs, now we got more winblows :-( )

6. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

The current Cinema Displays are not what they used to be (from what i've been told by many pro's) I viewed some in comp usa and they where not worth $800 bucks, and two had odd dark spots on them. The brightness consistency is also not great, the one there was darker in the corners.

There decent display when calibrated with the Color Eyes Pro software (with hardware calibrator) but in my honest opinion there not worth the $$, they also might be refreshed soon.

Last month I was in the same boat and ended up settling on an Eizo Coloredge CE 24" , it was far supior to the cinema display with its internal hardware calibration, but twice as much so theres a downside, depends on what you need it for and how color critical your work is.

http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/index.asp

7. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

1 of my 3 monitors is a Samsung, I use it for everyday office stuff, Word, Excel, Email, the odd Video,a game here and there, but it' main use if for photoshop, But there is one piece of advice i would give if you got a Samsung,Don'tinstall any supplied software, leave at factory settings and calibrate with a good kit, i use a spyder. If you go for a Dell, check the 24", ive 2 and they are great.

8. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I purchased this same display last December and have never thought twice about my purchase. Yeah, it might not match my Mac Pro but I am more concerned about the performance & output. As it relates to price, if you're purchasing a Mac Pro as a "Pro" system why would you throttle the display.

9. 98707 macrumors regular

Wait Stop! I have a 226BW and there is something you need to know

I own a 226 BW and there is something you must know about it!

Look here, the 226BW is made randomly with 3 different Panels, an "A" "S" and "C" - They are all different
    A forum about how to get your C replaced by Samsung under the warranty
    The forum is saying that samsung does not ship the C panel anymore.. but if I did get one I would be pissed.

You can only tell after you open the box which panel you got. I bought mine at a Best Buy and got the worst panel of the three, which still is not bad, but it definatly has a blue tint to it. Mine is a C panel.

it is really a gamble. I heard that Samsung makes a better screen now, possibly the 226CW that the panels are for sure all made in the USA and have the same colors.

I really do like my samsung screen. I thought I should let you know however that it is a little lame.

10. elbirth macrumors 65816

I have no experience with the Samsungs, so I can't say one thing or the other about them... but I have 3 of the Dell 24" LCDs running on my Mac Pro and I absolutely love them. Great color, the silver matches the computer and the black is a nice contrast. The USB hub and card reader on the side (I think just the UltraSharp series has these) is a nice added function.

11. randyhudson macrumors regular

Go for the 24" Dell. I've had mine for around 2 years.