22-inch touchscreen iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JDee, Jun 5, 2010.

1. JDee macrumors 6502a

I was just in the iPhone forums thinking about what Apple might release at WWDC 2010.

I just remembered that there was an article on MacRumors relating to a 22-inch touchscreen iMac.
    Click here for the article.

Interesting - we're in to the second half of the year. Hopefully we'll see it soon (if it's real).

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's just a rumor, just like iPhone Nano and iTouch with camera. We may see it in the future but currently OS X isn't designed for touch and thus it wouldn't be nice. You don't even want to know how painful it is to use desktop with touch

3. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

Its coming sooner or later. I for one would like a touch screen imac. I think it would be a sweet kitchen type setup.

4. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I've tried a touch screen 20" iMac (they are possible to get, but have to be special ordered from a company I don't remember the name of). It was pretty bad. OS X in it's current iteration is not suitable for touchscreens. I'm afraid a desktop OS and a touchscreen OS is not possible to combine, unless the touchscreen part is an overlay of sorts, like Front Row.

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I don't think Apple would partake in an idea as stupid as a touch screen desktop computer. The very idea of holding out my arm perpendicular to my body in the air for extended periods of times to operate such a device makes my shoulder hurt.

Apple has already found their "kitchen setup" in the iPad.

6. Man-Droid macrumors regular

I agree with your perspective to a degree. There are many tasks that wouldn't benefit from the use of a touch screen. But I think some apps and programs could be enhanced with this function.

I work with Logic Audio and often times have 20 or more tracks that I need to adjust faders/sliders on. A mouse can really drag that process down. Being able to physically alter those sliders through touch could really improve my workflow.