22" screen with MBP late 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beerglass007, Feb 18, 2009.

1. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

Hi all

I have brought a Viewsonic 22" screen which does 1920 x 1080 via the DVI.

But i now have black bands left and right of the screen. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem. I read loads and loads of forums all saying the Mac Book pro could do 1920 x 1080 and no one spoke about black bands .

Many Thanks

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Close the lid, and make sure the power is plugged in then wake it up with your external mouse/keyboard.

3. DYER macrumors 6502

Have you tried changing the resolution in system preferences > displays ?

4. beerglass007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes

Yes I've changed the settings in display settings and its set to 1920 x 1080

Also when I close the lid the laptop goes to sleep. I then can't wake it up using the external keyboard or mouse.

The mains power is also attached.

Has anyone got any other ideas please. Does the MBP late 2008 support 1920 x 1080 native?

5. beerglass007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mirror

If I use the option to extend the desktop the screen goes full screen in 1920 x 1080 but when I change it to mirror the desktop it reduces the screen with black borders left and right.

But I don't want to keep my laptop screen fully open and wanted the use the mirror option.

6. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Maybe mac OS or the graphics card dosnt support 16:9 and only goes as wide as 16:10, because that is the ratio for the majority of computer screens and all apple displays

Although saying that, have you tried using the other graphics card in your MBP, maybe the other one supports 16:9

7. DYER macrumors 6502

Aah there is your answer it doesnt work in mirror mode. only in the other mode.
    your best of making ur laptop go to sleep. wake it with a usb keyboard. and then use the screen u can open your laptop for ventilation afterwards and the screen will not come on..
    hope that makes sense

8. Capio-Lumen macrumors newbie

I'm running an ACD off of my MBP unibody and the only solution I found is to have both of them open and running and then close the lid, it'll take a few seconds for the computer to realize this has happened but the external monitor should come on. I usually click a few times to make sure its still awake.

On a related issue, the screen will start to blink every once in a while and I think its due in part by pulling to much power from the usb ports and mini display port. Not sure if you'll have this issue but give it a shot. I have spent hours on the ph with apple care with no avail, there have been so many threads about this and it still hasn't been solved. Apple might have a problem on there hands...:cool:

9. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

mirror mode will only work perfectly if your 2 displays are the same resolution. If not then your 2nd screen is cropping and/or lowering the native resolution to match the primary display(mbp's screen).
    MBP's screens are 16:10 aspect ratio and the resolution of the 15" is 1440x900. A 1920x1080 screen like your 22"er is 16:9. Your 22"er is cutting off the left and right sides and lowering the resolution to 1440x900 to match.

I don't know why you'd want mirrored mode, the best part about having a second display is to give you more screen real estate. Have some windows open on your laptop's screen, and some open on your second screen. Doing it this way will let you run your 22"er at it's native resolution.

10. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

*ding ding

We have a winner!!

My 28" Viewsonic is 16:10.....hmm why would yours be 16:9? Silly Viewsonic!

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Because 1080p is overhyped and they are trying to save money by making 230,400 pixels less.