$22 short on 18-month financing offer...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LucidPsychosis, Apr 14, 2010.

1. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

Well, configured the way I want it (500GB 7200 RPM HDD, antiglare screen, iWork preinstalled, Apple remote, and AppleCare), the top end 15" MBP comes to a total of $2,478.00, which is a grand $22 short of this deal:

Get 18 months deferred interest on your first Apple purchase of more than $2500 or more. If balances are not paid in full within 18 months, interest will be charged from the purchase date at a 22.99% variable APR.1

That would seriously help me pay for this computer, but I'm short by that little amount... I'd rather not bother throwing in something else I don't want, but if I must...

OR, if they count sales tax, I'm in the clear.

Does anyone have any experience with Apple and financing rates and such?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I would imagine that sales tax would count, since you would be financing the total receipt amount. It's best to call Apple and find out. In the event this strangely isn't the case and you want to keep the financing offer, add an accessory you think you might use from the online store (i.e. a laptop bag, protective shell, Magic Mouse, etc.).

3. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

4. loyrun macrumors newbie

I financed my 13" for 1807.33 a month ago. It included the 13" 2.53, magic mouse, wireless keyboard, display prot to DVI connector, and an HP printer (which I just got the $100 rebate for)

the 1807 included all taxes (I bought at the store)

I got 0% for 12 months if paid in full and my min payment is like $20 a month until then.

Also, the Magic mouse is AWESOME, I love mine. If you add that on and it will bump you over.

5. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

6. HastaLaVista macrumors member

+2 on this. If you plan to run an external monitor, this is a must.

My configuration came out to well over $2800, I threw in 8GB of memory though, I'm not going to dick around with 4GB at this point.

7. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

8. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

In the hands of an irresponsible fool, yes. However, if you simply use it as a way to use "the other guy's money" for the duration of the promotion period, then it's a pretty smart play. Just takes a bit of common sense and responsibility.

9. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Sometimes good, responsible intentions don't always turn out well. Life happens and big financial responsibilities shift within a 12-18 month time period. Honestly, i don't mean to be condescending in anyway...

Usually if you don't have the money to pay for something in full it might be best not to get it at all. $20 minimum can become the standard because of other priorities until the interest free time is up!

unsecured credit is the devil... :)

10. mac88 macrumors 6502

Just add an adapter that you might need/use. I'm pretty sure that tax would be included into the deal so you should be good to go. Good luck! :D

11. thewizzy macrumors member

Can you pay in installments if you use a credit card like American Express?

12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

It can be. But truthfully, that's how the banks really make their money on 0% financing offers. They know that a certain percentage of customers will fail to pay their balances off before the end of their promotions and then they'll stick it to them with 22-25% interest (accrued from the original balance, of course). And just about every one of these banks that offer 0% financing are based in Wilmington, DE, where they have very loose usury laws and thus don't have the same limitations on maximum interest rates other jurisdictions do.

The key is to be responsible and make the biggest payments you can afford at the end of each month. If you do that, the bank won't make a dime off of you. ;)

13. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

But if you have the cash, and someone wants to give you free credit for a year, why not let the cash earn interest.

That's exactly what I did with the Barclaycard deal on a MBP last August. Hell that's what I do anyway: I charged some $30K or more to credit cards last year, paid them in full each month, paid $0 in interest, and got back over $1000 in cash rebates and interest on the cash sitting in my checking account.

14. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

Add a $100 printer and get it essentially free after rebate. It'll end up just costing you sales tax. List the printer on craigslist if you don't want it.

15. puma1552 macrumors 601

Get an Apple remote and then just sell it afterwards.

16. saxman macrumors 6502

Read the fine print

Be careful about buying something inexpensive when trying to get no interest financing deal. From the fine print:

**IMPORTANT : Purchases made at www.apple.com, www.itunes.com, Apple retail stores or 1-800-MY-APPLE are billed to your account when the merchandise is available and shipped to you. If a partial order that is shipped and billed to your account is an amount that is less than $900 then your account will not be eligible for the 12 month promotional deferred interest offer and instead you will receive the promotional offer described above for a transaction that is less than $900.
    Partial or Split Shipments
    If a partial order that is shipped and billed to your account is an amount that is less than $900 then your account will not be eligible for the 12 month promotional deferred interest offer and instead you will receive the promotional offer described above for a transaction that is less than $900.

They also state you can only get 0% interest only on your "initial first purchase." Even if you order them at the same time, if they ship at different times, they might bill at different times.

Caveat emptor