Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released watchOS 6.0.1, the first update to the watchOS 6 operating system that was released on September 19.

watchOS 6.0.1 can be downloaded for free through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have over 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.

watchos6ewatchfaces-800x442.jpg

Today's update is minor in scale, addressing a bug with the Mickey and Minnie Mouse watch faces, fixing a calendar complications bug, and addressing an issue that could cause a loss of display calibration data. From Apple's release notes:
watchOS 6.0.1 optimizes performance, provides security updates, and contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
- Resolves an issue where the Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse watch face does not speak time
- Addresses an issue where the calendar complication may not display events
- Fixes a bug that could result in a loss of display calibration data
For details on what's new in the larger watchOS 6 release, make sure to check out our watchOS 6 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 6.0.1 With Bug Fixes

IAmGLaDOS

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
wonder if this will fix battery life
Not sure if this will help or is related, but I have an S4 and i had the noise complication on my watch face and noticed EXTREME battery use throughout the day. I'm talking like having that complication halved my battery life. I did some testing and came to the conclusion that if you just don't have the complication on your watch face, your battery life should be the same. It was when it was running the microphones nonstop that caused the drain.

Reactions: douglasb7

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
6.0.1 just tried to auto install on my watch, first time I have ever seen that happen so quickly. Will have to wait to get home with a charger to install though.

Reactions: abi12a and GeeDuhb

GeeDuhb

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
6.0.1 just tried to auto install on my watch, first time I have ever seen that happen so quickly. Will have to wait to get home with a charger to install though.

I believe this is because the watch can now update itself without relying on the phone app. This is thanks to all the changes in watchOS6 that pretty much made the watch a standalone device.

LbSigman

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Hopefully, it will address the issue I have been having where the watch will shut down at around 32% battery life and restart when I go on a run streaming music to my Airpods. Once it boots back up, the battery is then at 10%.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I believe this is because the watch can now update itself without relying on the phone app. This is thanks to all the changes in watchOS6 that pretty much made the watch a standalone device.

I like the change then, just can't update until I am around a charger because unfortunately that is still required.

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
How do you get that watch face in the middle of the picture!! Navy with pink hand?
I can only find the navy background!

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Still no reminders on my Watch.

I can’t even find mention of the Reminders app via the Watch app on iPhone.

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
Does it fix the issue where when Theater Mode is enabled, tapping on the display does not turn on the display even when clicking the side button and Digital Crown?
Multiple times the display refuses to turn on until I wait a few seconds and try again.

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
Does it fix the issue where when Theater Mode is enabled, tapping on the display does not turn on the display even when clicking the side button and Digital Crown?
Multiple times the display refuses to turn on until I wait a few seconds and try again.

I've experienced this exact problem on my S3 and now on my new S5. I'm not near my Watch charger or I'd update it now to see if that is fixed...

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Installing now, hopefully it will fix my running shortcuts from Apple Watch issue.

Edit: Nope

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.