Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a trailer for its upcoming film "The Banker," starring Anthony Mackie, Samuel L. Jackson, Nia Long, and Nicholas Hoult.

The film is based on a true story about Bernard Garrett (Mackie) and Joe Morris (Jackson), who devise a plan to help African Americans get access to real estate deals and bank loans during the 1960s.

The film will debut in theaters on December 6, a few weeks before it is available to stream on Apple TV+ sometime in January. It will be the third Apple Original movie to follow this theatrical release schedule, following "The Elephant Queen" in October and "Hala" in November.

Apple TV+ launched three days ago on Friday, November 1, with a focus on TV shows like "Dickinson," "The Morning Show," "See," and "For All Mankind." The only film available to stream as of now is "The Elephant Queen."

Article Link: Apple Releases New Trailer for Original Film 'The Banker' With Anthony Mackie and Samuel L. Jackson

Reactions: lederermc

fmcshan

Editor
Apr 8, 2019
This looks decent but Apple is going to need a lot more good original content that keeps users hooked to keep up with services like Disney+, Prime Video, and Netflix in order to get a good market share in this highly competitive space.

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
'The Banker' made with a credit card celebrity is hilarious type casting.

He's a great actor, don't get me wrong, but still.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Looks good. Ol’ Samuel L. is always good.
What are you talking about???
He’s known as an actor that never says no to any role.
As such, a LOT of his movies are absolute garbage. Like 4/10 type of horrendous trash. Unicorn Store? The Spirit? Formula 51?
Sorry, but “good ol, Samuel L.” being in a movie is decidedly NOT any indication of the quality.
Not saying this movie isn’t going to be good... just the fact that a single good actor (that will play in ANYTHING) is in a move is probably not the best way to prejudge a film.

gridlocked

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2019
RI
I enjoy historical stories being told through the movie format. They almost always take lots of artistic license but that's understandable to make the story more interesting.

Once I see enough content to watch I'll get the 7 day trial. Right now that's this and 'See' (despite the preposterous 'they're all blind' premise) so at this rate I'm looking deep into 2020 or maybe early 2021.

Reactions: Stargher and Mayo86

Theonlyronster

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2019
I get Apple TV+ free with my Apple Music Student Membership, and I won't even watch it...for free. Nothing they offer interests me. Another classic blunder from team Cook.

Because it’s all about you… lots of people have watched and enjoyed every one of the shows Apple put up at the weekend. To be honest I think they have a pretty good product on their hands, and the signs are that they’ve got lots of great stuff in the wings.

But for some people they’ll never be happy because they genuinely get their kicks complaining about Apple. Which, I suppose, is great for them, because they can do that for free!
[automerge]1572885736[/automerge]
The dramas are okay, but give us sci-fi or something exciting.

For All Mankind IS sci-fi.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
What are you talking about???
He’s known as an actor that never says no to any role.
As such, a LOT of his movies are absolute garbage. Like 4/10 type of horrendous trash. Unicorn Store? The Spirit? Formula 51?
Sorry, but “good ol, Samuel L.” being in a movie is decidedly NOT any indication of the quality.
Not saying this movie isn’t going to be good... just the fact that a single good actor (that will play in ANYTHING) is in a move is probably not the best way to prejudge a film.
Dire Hard 3.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I knew the plot even before watching the trailer.

well, I hope that they don’t take as much “creative license” as the producers of Hidden Figures (which was still a good movie) did. I am pretty sure that the real story is compelling enough.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
This looks decent but Apple is going to need a lot more good original content that keeps users hooked to keep up with services like Disney+, Prime Video, and Netflix in order to get a good market share in this highly competitive space.
They just need to have a ”profitable” market share. Right now, for example, in macOS, that’s like 6 percent. Since these shows don’t require shifting physical equipment and the logistics that entails, I’d imagine they can be profitable below that percentage market share.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
Looking forward to this. I always enjoy Samuel Jackson no matter what movie he's in.

I actually didn't realise that Apple would be bringing feature length movies to the party, so this is a pleasant surprise. I'm really enjoying Apple TV+ at the moment and see no likelihood of cancelling any time soon.

Reactions: Ar40 and coolfactor

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
They just need to have a ”profitable” market share. Right now, for example, in macOS, that’s like 6 percent. Since these shows don’t require shifting physical equipment and the logistics that entails, I’d imagine they can be profitable below that percentage market share.

I am told that Hollywood financial accounting is … weird. It truly depends on the production costs, plus the royalties. A google search puts Samuel L. Jackson at about $6,200,000 per movie, or 1,550,000 paid subscriptions to pay just for his salary. Jennifer Aniston is at $1,100,000 per episode, or 275,000 paid subscriptions per episode. Add other names such as Reese Whiterspoon or Jason Momoa and the price goes up quite substantially.
This is even before actual production costs (pre-production, director, tech services, post production, CGI etc. and, again, royalties. PLUS the actual service's costs such as servers, programmers, lawyers etc).
I am starting to think that ATV+ is just to sell more devices as a "free" service included with the purchase.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.