Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
Hi All!

OMG! If you need a bag then the one to get is a Crumpler Team Player. That will fit a 17" laptop with buckets of space for books and clothes etc.

There are 3 models. All progressively bigger: Sheep Scarer, Base Toucher and Team Player.

The removable internal laptop sleeve can hold the following sized laptops:

Sheep Scarer: 24.5cm, 35cm, 3.5cm
Base Toucher: 26.5cm, 39cm, 3.5cm
Team Player: 28cm, 39cm 3.5cm

They are all available in a range of nice colours.

I got my Team Player through the post this morning and it is GREAT! No really, it is. It is so well made; the build quality just oozes out onto the floor!! It's a big bag, but not THAT big, yet has loads of space for power adapters and mice and books etc. Mine is the orange coloured one, but the others look cool as well.

For you UK folks, the cheapest place to buy is http://www.memorycardzoo.co.uk/Crumpler

And they arrive NEXT day with free delivery; I don't know where the best place to buy would be for USA etc.

Inside is a nice "baby blue" coloured lining, which sounds daft, but is really good. It compliments the orange well, and it is useful as well. Nearly all bags are black inside, and if there is a small item at the bottom, you need a torch to find it. Not with the Crumpler! As you can see everything in your back, as the blue makes it stand out!

Security wise, the zip is located on the back of the backpack, which could be annoying to some, but it means no one can get into your bag while it's on your back.

If it get damaged or something, Crumpler will swap it out free of charge, which is nice.

Although it is pricey, it is WELL worth the money, it is after all protecting your MacBook Pro!

If anyone is interested in photo's etc. as there weren't really an abundance on the web, I’ll send some shots etc. later if I get time.

Thanks!

Dan :)

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
I've also got the Base Toucher.

I love the crumpler products.

My pbook feels safe and sound in there.

I travel to work on a scooter (almost 10 miles) come rain or shine.

Its kept my mac dry, even in the worst downpours imaginable.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
my parents have one for their MBP, and i sometimes use it for my MacBook. I'm gonna get one as soon as i can. Their great bags. I haven't heard anything but great reviews about them.

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
Yeah, it's cool!

The websites for the US, UK and Austraila are very, well... strange.

It's nice to see a company with sense of humor that make great products!

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
will you please post some pictures danielbriggs? specifically the detachable sleeve.

I was thinking of buying the incase rip-stop backpack from the apple store. but's a little expensive for me. but these are much more expensive!!

which one will fit a macbook pro 15'' perfectly?

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Nice find.

I'm a big fan of Crumpler bags. Some are unorthadox in design and scheme but as you say they ooze with quality. I handled some at work today through stock and they just stick out so much as being different and built to quality to others. I almost got one last year but had to go cheaper and smarter. If I had the money I'd buy one in an instant.

Got a shoulder messenger bag now, not sure whether to go back to a back pack. I like the messenger style, but heaviness and durability comes best with a backpack.

So much for being on a budget!

Enjoy the bag!

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
vega07 said:
will you please post some pictures danielbriggs? specifically the detachable sleeve.

I was thinking of buying the incase rip-stop backpack from the apple store. but's a little expensive for me. but these are much more expensive!!

which one will fit a macbook pro 15'' perfectly?

Hi!

I believe the Base Toucher is the ideal fit for the 15" version.
I mean they will all do, some more loose than others, but I would go for the Base Toucher if I had a 15" MBP.

I bought my bag in time for my lovely new soon to be Merom MBP 17"
Ready to go back to school.

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
vega07 said:
do any retails stores sell these crumpler bags?

What country are you from?
The UK store I mentioned is great.

I know they are expensive, but it is SO worth the money. It will not wear out, kind of a "bag for life"!

Photo's to follow.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
does the website that danielbriggs posted ship to USA? I live in California and would love to buy it from them.

edit: nope, they don't ship to USA, only UK... damn!

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
vega07 said:

Hi again!

Just took some photo's of the bag and stuff, on my phone, so please excuse the quality and the light in my room at night is well, [a word that rhymes with night! - begins with "s"!]

Anyway; (i've not posted pics before, sorry if there are problems etc.)

image00026tx3.jpg

That is the general shot of my bag, what a lovely colour! Photo doesn't do it justice!

image00027eg6.jpg

That is the shot from the back. If you notice, the zipper is on the back, so no one can open the bag while it is on your back! very nice!

image00028zk3.jpg

A shot from the top, with the bag fully opened. Note the big laptop sleeve in the middle.

image00029ux9.jpg

This is from the top of the bag, the velcro clip thingy that holds the laptop sleeve into the bag.

image00030wa9.jpg

The Laptop sleeve itself. It looks tiny, but hell, it's not!

image00031wm9.jpg

Laptop sleeve opened.

image00032kj2.jpg

Back of the laptop sleeve, note the velcro at the bottom to also hold the sleeve to inside the bag.

image00033yy7.jpg

Top of the sleeve opened.

image00034bi3.jpg

Sleeve and bag outside each other for comparison. and the bag is quite big!

image00035fa2.jpg

Front inside of the bag showing pockets and things.

Hope this helps!

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
vega07 said:
does the website that danielbriggs posted ship to USA? I live in California and would love to buy it from them.

edit: nope, they don't ship to USA, only UK... damn!

Don't really know the best place to buy in the USA, I think you can buy direct from Crumpler, but they are a bit more expensive.

Crazy website!

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I don't think the official crumpler site actually sells their products..strange.

danielbriggs, the pictures don't show up for me.

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
Hmm.. very strange.

The Aussi and UK site sell stuff, but the US doesn't and it dosen't stock the Base Toucher.

Try a google / froogle search???

or maybe Amazon?

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
vega07 said:
do any retails stores sell these crumpler bags?
In the UK bigger PC World stores will have them. If they're not out on show they may still have some in the warehouse.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
vega07 said:
danielbriggs, I can't see the pictures...
Me neither. Just blank spaces.

The problem with Crumpler is that with their strange and funky names they often have several products to do a very similar job. It's hard to keep track of them all and find a physical retail location where you can see them all for yourself and not just on a computer screen!

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I have a crumpler bag for my 12" PB and I like the quality but is anyone else bothered by how loud the velcro is? I mean, when I open the bag, everyone hears it, there's no way to open it and try to be quiet.

If you ever need to open your bag without making a LOT of noise (like in class, in a library, anywhere you don't want to draw attention to yourself) don't get a crumpler.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
danielbriggs said:
Hmm.. very strange.

The Aussi and UK site sell stuff, but the US doesn't and it dosen't stock the Base Toucher.

Try a google / froogle search???

or maybe Amazon?

That would explain the "add to cart" button on the US site:

http://www.crumplerbags.com/Cart/index.php?catId=5

The US site seems to have different names for the UK bags. It looks like the "Beer Back" and "King Single" are the 17" and 15" backpack bags equivalent to the UK bags referenced in this thread.

The US also has a where to buy link - it's right next to the "Check Tech Specs" link on the lower half of the page link above.

I think you missed something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.