Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Losenrout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I'm a private individual interested in buying a custom top-of-the-line Mac Pro, mostly as a toy since I'm blessed enough to be able to afford it. The machine I'm interested in would be 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32GB, four 300GB SAS drives, NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600, and a couple Cinema HD Displays. With accessories, it runs about $23,397.

I recently talked with an apple representative who actually tried to convince me to acquire a somewhat lower-end "suggested configuration" Mac Pro. He told me that the technical upkeep for such a high-end mac is more demanding than I could handle. Is this accurate? He also told me that he wasn't aware of any use a private individual could have for that amount of processing power, but I enjoy knowing the power is available, so this doesn't concern me.

The only high-end software I run is some naval architecture CAD programs (Maxsurf, ShipConstructor and Navisworks) -- I'm a ship-building hobbyist. These programs would run in Windows under bootcamp. I would also use the machine for mostly mundane tasks -- internet, email, record-keeping, and my large music library.

Any thoughts about the upkeep of this machine would be greatly appreciated. Is it possible for me to maintain this machine myself, with good computer proficiency, but no special skills?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Spend your money. To keep it up...plug it in and welcome that next electric bill.
I cannot see how anyone would buy a machine that is $20k more than what i needed, but as you said you've been "blessed" and consider the way to show it is to spend. There is no additional technical upkeep that I can see.

Good luck in your blessed ventures.

Losenrout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Jessica, thank you for your response.

I hadn't actually considered the power consumption of the machine -- how enormous would it be compared to a "suggested configuration" Mac Pro? Is there any way to diminish power consumption while maintaining the specs (e.g. can the hard drives individually sleep when not in use?) To what extent does a machine consume power based on the hardware installed, as opposed to what demands are actually being placed on it at a particular moment? Thank you -- I'm as concerned about my "carbon footprint" as anyone else.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Jessica, thank you for your response.

I hadn't actually considered the power consumption of the machine -- how enormous would it be compared to a "suggested configuration" Mac Pro? Is there any way to diminish power consumption while maintaining the specs (e.g. can the hard drives individually sleep when not in use?) To what extent does a machine consume power based on the hardware installed, as opposed to what demands are actually being placed on it at a particular moment? Thank you -- I'm as concerned about my "carbon footprint" as anyone else.

Well as it runs with a 1000w power supply, that gives you a rough indication of how much power you can use, it would effectively be like running a small kettle all day long, however, if you plant a tree everyday for the duration in which you keep and use the machine, you should be fine... (carbon footprint wise)

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Why? Just... why?
I mean, we just acquired three fully-loaded Mac Pros but they're being used in a quad-system render farm for HD video. For email and safari, I can't possibly imagine any justification for such a machine.

Your system (and subsequently $23k) will be obsolete long before you manage to use all that power.
Therefore I highly recommend that you simply go with a stock Mac Pro (since you want processing power to spare - in reality a first gen MacBook has power to spare for those tasks!) and a few Cinema Displays. Then in two years get a new Mac Pro. And in a few years after that get a NEW Mac Pro. You're future proof and get to save money. ;)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
If you are spending that much, then buy the Apple RAM since it would be covered by Apple Care.

The upkeep that they were talking about, is pretty much non existent unless they are talking about electricity and hardware support, but you should be okay.

Either way, for a single user that may not be contributing anything useful to society with your machine, why not NOT spend the 20k for your machine and spend about 6k and save the rest for future updates, or like another poster said give it to someone that could actually get more use out of the cash.

p.s. I wouldn't call it blessed, since that implies divine intervention, which would also imply that you use the money for the greater good in some aspect, and I don't know if your 20k machine would benefit anyone other than yourself.

Just speaking my mind here.

Losenrout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Why? Just... why?
I mean, we just acquired three fully-loaded Mac Pros but they're being used in a quad-system render farm for HD video. For email and safari, I can't possibly imagine any justification for such a machine.

As mentioned in my original post, I also plan to run some naval architecture software under bootcamp. I probably use these programs maybe five days each month when I have time to work on my boat project. I don't know exactly what the minimum system requirements are to run these programs, but I'd like some power to spare, especially under bootcamp.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
If that's the machine you want, go for it.

Don't go for the QuadroFX though. It seems like it'll be a better card, because it's more expensive. It's not. It's a workstation card, and is rubbish at games. I don't use CAD, so maybe it's different there.

If you have a large music library, I'd get at least one 1Tb drive. It's marginally slower, but the capacity means you can fit your whole library on it with room to grow.

Electricity shouldn't be much more (if at all) than a standard Mac Pro. The power supply in the Mac Pros is a constant.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
As mentioned in my original post, I also plan to run some naval architecture software under bootcamp. I probably use these programs maybe five days each month when I have time to work on my boat project. I don't know exactly what the minimum system requirements are to run these programs, but I'd like some power to spare, especially under bootcamp.

Then maybe you should find out EXACTLY what you need, before spending 20K.

And as another poster said, spend less and give 10K to charity. People with that much money available should want to give to those who have less.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England

So rather than look in to the system requirements you are going to drop over $20,000 on a system? There is no way it requires this kind of power as it will most certainly be running on older workstations.

By the way, you will be able to buy an equivalent system for under $10,000 come January.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

If that's all you're going to be using it for then forget about it. You are better off getting the maxed out machine without the SAS, RAID card needed to run those, 32GB of RAM, and such.... kinda like I said, spend about 6k - 7k and you'll be fine.

The FX is a great card if you're not a gamer, some of us to actually use workstation class cards.

p.s. we are kind of urging you to cut your spending only because others really could use that money, and yes, some of us do give what we can to charity in some way. Or if anything not wasting it on a machine that is over kill now, and will be a lot cheaper in the future when you need it.... especially since you aren't a high end operation.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

A basic CAD application such as AutoCAD for example can be run on very VERY basic hardware, my dad runs autoCAD and mastercam on his little 1.8ghz Celeron laptop, and it actually runs surprisingly fast, you'd have power to spare even with the lowest spec mac mini for what you want to do...

Fatal Darkness

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2006
I'm a private individual interested in buying a custom top-of-the-line Mac Pro, mostly as a toy since I'm blessed enough to be able to afford it. The machine I'm interested in would be 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32GB, four 300GB SAS drives, NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600, and a couple Cinema HD Displays. With accessories, it runs about $23,397.

I recently talked with an apple representative who actually tried to convince me to acquire a somewhat lower-end "suggested configuration" Mac Pro. He told me that the technical upkeep for such a high-end mac is more demanding than I could handle. Is this accurate? He also told me that he wasn't aware of any use a private individual could have for that amount of processing power, but I enjoy knowing the power is available, so this doesn't concern me.

The only high-end software I run is some naval architecture CAD programs (Maxsurf, ShipConstructor and Navisworks) -- I'm a ship-building hobbyist. These programs would run in Windows under bootcamp. I would also use the machine for mostly mundane tasks -- internet, email, record-keeping, and my large music library.

Any thoughts about the upkeep of this machine would be greatly appreciated. Is it possible for me to maintain this machine myself, with good computer proficiency, but no special skills?

Obvious troll is obvious.
I'm having a little trouble finding the Rick Roll however.

Losenrout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Either way, for a single user that may not be contributing anything useful to society with your machine, why not NOT spend the 20k for your machine and spend about 6k and save the rest for future updates, or like another poster said give it to someone that could actually get more use out of the cash.

p.s. I wouldn't call it blessed, since that implies divine intervention, which would also imply that you use the money for the greater good in some aspect, and I don't know if your 20k machine would benefit anyone other than yourself.

Just speaking my mind here.

Besides what's relevant to the thread, you don't know the particulars of my situation. Perhaps I contribute to "the greater good", perhaps I don't. Who's to judge? But in any case, it's simply not relevant to the question at hand.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
i say dont spend the whole 20K
just buy the 32gb of RAM and you dont need 4 7200rpm drives. i say get 1 7200rpm drive and buy a 1TB drive for the 2nd one. the 7200 one as your OS hard drive. it will make things a lil easier

as for the graphics card. The FX ones are made by Ati which are much more efficient for CAD programs. Nvidia cards are more for gaming and not very much on the high graphical editing/creating. so i say get those FX cards. ATi cards are much better on graphic editing/creating and HD movie viewing.

and the CPU, 3.2 is more like overkill not to mention you might stack up the electric bill... 2.8 is enough.

but really its your money just buy what you want and like. im just giving a suggestion. you shouldnt be needing to spend 20K on a computer

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Well as it runs with a 1000w power supply, that gives you a rough indication of how much power you can use, it would effectively be like running a small kettle all day long, however, if you plant a tree everyday for the duration in which you keep and use the machine, you should be fine... (carbon footprint wise)

The '1000W' PSU means that it can supply a maximum of 1000W, not that it will consume 1000W constantly. Sure he's gonna load it up with everything but that 1000W is for the like a 4x video card config and full usage of every component. It's so powerful to accommodate a safety margin.

It's gonna take a lot of usage to get it close to get it close to the peak output.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
If that's the machine you want, go for it.

Don't go for the QuadroFX though. It seems like it'll be a better card, because it's more expensive. It's not. It's a workstation card, and is rubbish at games. I don't use CAD, so maybe it's different there.

If you have a large music library, I'd get at least one 1Tb drive. It's marginally slower, but the capacity means you can fit your whole library on it with room to grow.

Electricity shouldn't be much more (if at all) than a standard Mac Pro. The power supply in the Mac Pros is a constant.

It's uses are for CAD. However under OSX there are no real benefits and an FX 3700 would likely offer the same performance for a third of the price under windows.

Power usage is probably close to double when comparing the described system to a base 2x2.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 2600XT Mac Pro.

curlytch

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
Recently my company purchased a MacPro with 16GB of RAM, 3.2 GHz Dual Quad core processor, the machine was maxed out. At the same time I got the CS3 Master Collection - turns out that there was a memory bleed that caused the system and Adobe to fail miserably. After talking to Apple they blamed Adobe. So I called Adobe and they blamed Apple.

Turns out that the problem was the machine was too new and too high end for either apple or adobe or for that matter anyone else to try and help us out. If I were you I'd just go with the 8 GB of ram and save a couple thousand - as for the rest of the hard wear i say go for it.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Besides what's relevant to the thread, you don't know the particulars of my situation. Perhaps I contribute to "the greater good", perhaps I don't. Who's to judge? But in any case, it's simply not relevant to the question at hand.

So you ignored the rest of the things I talked about in my post huh? :rolleyes:

Do you even know what SAS means without googling it, or how it will benefit you in a CAD application?

This is what I am trying to say, please read the rest of the post and PLEASE stop catching feelings. We ARE trying to save you money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.