Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonMW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I've just had something really annoying happen. I noticed yesterday that my 23" ACD, which I use as a secondary monitor, power light was going on and off even though the monitor appeared to be working fine.

When I put the computer to sleep the monitor stayed on (I could see the backlight lighting up the screen even though it was black).

Now the power light stays off, the monitor works, but I can't adjust the brightness and the power button doesn't work. When I go the System Preferences and Displays there is no brightness slider available for the 23".

I have tried unplugging it, rebooting the computer etc, and even booting up in my backup of Leopard (I usually use Snow Leopard) but it doesn't change anything. Anyone else had this issue? I did have a power cut the other day, but I don't know how that could have affected it.

itou

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
System Preferences -> Displays -> Detect Displays -> Options -> make sure your buttons are configured correctly.

SimonMW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Already tried that. The display is identified properly. But the buttons on the side of the monitor don't work and the brightness control isn't available in the Display preferences either. The only way I can turn the monitor off is if I unplug it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.