23" ACD for gaming?

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
England
Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could help me before i invest in the 23" ACD. Whats this screen like for gaming? I noticed that the latest refresh has a 14ms response time.

Or should i go for the 24" Dell if i do a lot of gaming?

Thanks all

Darren

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
^squirrel^ said:
Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could help me before i invest in the 23" ACD. Whats this screen like for gaming? I noticed that the latest refresh has a 14ms response time.

Or should i go for the 24" Dell if i do a lot of gaming?

Thanks all

Darren
Unless you are superman then I dont think you are going to notice any difference at all. I have the 20" ACD from when they first came out and I couldnt be happier. I do a fair bit of gaming too.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
It's very nice, no problems with the refresh time (this is a new spec ACD). You might want to turn on V-sync in some games though, I've noticed a little bit of "tearing".

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Dreadnought said:
Problem is, as said in a lot of other threads, the new ones aren't yet available in Europe. But I'm also wondering how it is to game on a 23" ACD!
My new 23" Apple Cinema Display show far less tearing than my first one.

It also has better color reproduction and generally the pictures just seems better.

I, mostly, play Real Time Strategy games like Dawn of War and Warcraft III and there is no problems at all.

I also watch High Definition trailers on it and it looks great. I could see a big difference from my first Cinema Display to the second, especially with the 1080p Spider Man 3 trailer.

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
England
Dreadnought said:
Problem is, as said in a lot of other threads, the new ones aren't yet available in Europe. But I'm also wondering how it is to game on a 23" ACD!
Yeah i'm not happy about them not being sold over here yet. I might just wait until April and see if they release a new model. Either that or go with the Dell.

Thanks for all your help.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Argh, I've heard about these ACD's not on sale in the UK. Thats slightly annoying as I want to get one, but, for my cash, I want whats advertised, not whats in the old stockroom.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Go Dell. I've recently got a few 2407WFPs to replace the monitors on my 'homebuilt' PC's... and I'd go for these over the Apples unless you need the Firewire hub. All right, it's slightly uglier but it's a better monitor for less. I've got one remaining ACD23" and I definitely wouldn't pick it over the Dell.

eyup

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
UK
Pressure said:
My new 23" Apple Cinema Display show far less tearing than my first one.

I also watch High Definition trailers on it and it looks great. I could see a big difference from my first Cinema Display to the second, especially with the 1080p Spider Man 3 trailer.

Weird cos I've just watched that Spider man 3 trailer and there was no tearing - and given that I'm in the UK according to some i should have the older ACD 23".

Apparently mine was made in June from the code - it's darn fine for gaming and I'm using the 7300GT card. It's also extremely bright (maybe too bright!)

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
eyup said:
Weird cos I've just watched that Spider man 3 trailer and there was no tearing - and given that I'm in the UK according to some i should have the older ACD 23".

Apparently mine was made in June from the code - it's darn fine for gaming and I'm using the 7300GT card. It's also extremely bright (maybe too bright!)
did you purchase it from the online apple store?

eyup

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
UK
logicpro7 said:
did you purchase it from the online apple store?

Yes - I'm doing Apple Leasing so I guess it amounts to the same thing - came from Cork.

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
Denmark
eyup said:

Well, I am not having a tearing problem with the new monitor but the first one I had did.

eyup

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
UK
Pressure said:
Well, I am not having a tearing problem with the new monitor but the first one I had did.

And you're in Europe too - so all this about old spec monitors in europe is tosh by the sound of it.

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
eyup said:
And you're in Europe too - so all this about old spec monitors in europe is tosh by the sound of it.
It's not - I'm on the phone to Apple now and they have confirmed mine is a late 2005 display.

Sean :)

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
seanf said:
It's not - I'm on the phone to Apple now and they have confirmed mine is a late 2005 display.

Sean :)

Just so you know, all new displays show as a late 2005 in Apples system.

Go here: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Pop in your serial and see when it was built. I have a September week 35 build 23", and it shows up on Apples site as a late 2005.

So don't trust the phone reps, cause they don't have the right information.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Untill Apple does have the right information, I would hold back and not buy one just yet. I also bought, but returned it. According to Chipmunk it was built in June. Still waiting to get a new one.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Dreadnought said:
Untill Apple does have the right information, I would hold back and not buy one just yet. I also bought, but returned it. According to Chipmunk it was built in June. Still waiting to get a new one.
I think it is a good time to buy. I bought mine online, got it replaced 2 times for various issues. But all were as new as late august (week 32, 33) and early september. I orderd on september 19th.

I don't think Apple is going to change the information until something major happens with the displays.

usbcd36

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2006
I have one of them, and let me say this…

UT looks awesome at 1920x1200. The Sims 2 looks crappy though, probably because the GeForce 6600 doesn't support anti-aliasing…