23" ACD or 24" LED Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gazfocus, Nov 13, 2008.

?

23" ACD or 24" LED CD?

1. 23" ACD

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. 24" LED CD

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Ok, I'm buying a Mac Pro in early 2009 when they've been updated and I currently have a 23" ACD and was going to buy a 2nd one to go with the one I've already got...With the 23" Displays now discontinued, should I get rid of mine and get 2 x 24" LED ones or are the 23" displays actually better?

Which would you go for?

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

It all depends on whether the Mac Pro has DisplayPort capability by then, currently the 24" LED displays are DisplayPort-only, and the 23" ACD has been discontinued so it's a bit tricky.

It's down to personal preference really, I'd imagine the LED displays are brighter with more vivid colours and excellent contrast due to the nature of the display, whereas the current ACDs use CCFL backlighting which will dull more over time. Personal Preference as I say, I'm a fan of the LED displays which is why I would love two of them once someone figures out if/when they can be hooked up to existing Mac Pros

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I like that the new LED ones come with the iSight, mic and speakers built in.

But I think two of the "old" style will look better next to each other than the 24" LED, because of the smaller bezel and neutral aluminum color. I also don't think the rounded edges on the LED will match up well together.

4. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

You're on the right track, I think, with having two identical ones. Side-by-side displays works much nicer when they both have the same vertical size, resolution and position.

You've just got to wait and see what's up with the new MacPro's graphics ports.

It would be very unreasonable, I think, if the new MPs did not work with the new LED Cinema dlsplays. But Apple has hardly been reasonable when it comes to their displays and the graphics ports their computers support.

But I'd be wary of investing too much $ into the new LED displays... the weird Mini DisplayPort connector will severly limit the computers you can use them with. Would you be happy with the possibility of replacing them in x years because they won't work with the next computer you get? If history is any guide, even Apple will abandon Mini DisplayPort after a couple of years.

5. yomibro macrumors regular

Still waiting for an ACD that will allow me tilt+height+swivel movement.....

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Umm these swivel with one finger to the bezel and tilt 30-degrees.

7. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Sell the 23" and buy a 30". They really are great. Better than 2x 23"/24" IMHO.

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

bah. get the new dell 30 or a good NEC instead for the same/less.

it's 2 panel generations newer than the current apple 30"

or wait for apple's new pro panels. This 24" crap they are trying to foist on us right now is a joke.