23" ACD Problem and Apple don't 'see it'

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gazfocus, Aug 26, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Ok, I have a 23" ACD which I 'bought' off ebay about 6 months ago ('bought' because I actually ended up getting it free due to the post office screwing up), but anyway, some may remember I posted a few months ago saying I was having problems with it.

Well....problem to be more specific and basically every so often it flickers. Sometimes it's very obvious and annoys the hell out of me, and other times it doesn't flicker at all.

It's a late 2005 model and has between 2 and 4 weeks of AppleCare remaining - I know I should've taken it take sooner but call me lazy :p

Anyway, my question is, do you think Apple will actually do anything to fix this problem? I am concerned because those from the UK may know Liverpool's not really the best place to carry a £600 screen through the city, and as I don't drive, I will have to use public transport to take it to the Apple Store and I don't want that hassle for it to work perfectly there and then have to bring it all the way home for it to start acting up again.

If it does play up in the store, will they repair it or replace it?

2. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Phone them up and ask.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yes phone them first.

And if it does get stolen you didn't pay anything for it :)

4. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Haha wouldn't make losing it any easier would it :p

5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Ok, just a thought (as I'm not where the box/ACD is)...Does anyone know if it's possible to turn the box for the ACD inside out so that I won't have the whole of Liverpool looking at me as I carry this thing?

Ta

6. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

7. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Can someone give me advice re this problem

Ok, so I have just switched my ACD on and decided to really examine it closely (the last thing I want it so get to the apple store and it work fine).

Here's the problem...

The flickering is intermittent at best - I have just gone onto my online banking, and there is a teal green banner at the top (just sold colour), and when the browser is maximised, the green banner (and only the green banner) flickers but it doesnt flicker if i reduce the window size.

I have also set the desktop background to the same colour and that doesnt flicker either.

The strange thing is, on occassions the blue/grey on the macrumors site (eg when you reply to a thread), flickers but it's fine today - also on occassions the grey round photoshop windows (in windows) often flickers but it's fine at the moment.

I have tried this screen with a Macbook Pro and my Windows PC and have continued having problems with it but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

8. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Looking for some advice...please....

Ok, so I took my ACD into Apple this morning and I had to leave it there for '48-72 hours' so they could test it. Anyway, I have received a phone call (5 mins before they closed so I couldn't phone them back), but they left a message saying they have had the screen running all day and can't see it flickering.

So....what do I do? I am positive it flickers, have tried it with 2 different computers (a PC and a MBP) and it happens on both, but if they don't 'see it flickering' they're not going to repair it, then I'm stuck with a £600 display that's worthless.

Any advice would be appreciated.

9. docprego macrumors 65816

Bring it into another Apple store, assuming there is another one.