Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motomullet

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
I use scottrade's sreaming quotes to watch my stocks, so I leave like 6 windows open in the exact same spot for hours each day.

I've noticed when i close all the windows I can see dark spots where the windows were. The chart windows have white drop-down boxes on black backgrounds. where the white was, is where the dark spots appear. Exact size of the drop-downs.

they seem to go away after a little while so far, but im worried about the future...

I thought LCDs were immune to this?

Is this thing defective? My Fault?

I believe its a late model version.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Your screen will be fine, move your windows around sometimes if you like though. Nice scenery change and peace-of-mind.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
This also could be from staring at the windows for a long time, then closing them.

If your eyes constantly stare at one color and then are moved from looking at that color to a blank screen, then your eyes will be tricked into thinking they see the opposite color.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Yeh, this is entirely in spec.

The same thing happens when I leave windows open for any real length of time. I find a great cure is to run the Spectrum Screensaver, turn my display down low to preserve the backlight and leave it on over night. This cures the problem.

Incidentally, this is what apple recommends.

motomullet

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
sounds good. It deffinately freaked me out at first. $1000 monitor with burn in spots = not good.

I notice it alot more now, so I don't think its my eyes.

Mainly brighter colors like white leave the dark spots.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
It happens with S-IPS panels but it is nothing permanent. Just create a Powerpoint slideshow which alternates between a slide with a black background and then one with a white background and leave it running through the night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.