Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katorga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Dumb question probably, but is the 23" ACD the same size as 24" PC displays? Do both displays have the same "viewable" area or are the 24" models really an 1" larger?

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Dumb question probably, but is the 23" ACD the same size as 24" PC displays? Do both displays have the same "viewable" area or are the 24" models really an 1" larger?

Its really 1 inch larger! The thing that my have you confused is that they two operate at the same resolution, so the Apple has more pixel density whereas the Dell has a larger (very slightly larger...) viewing area.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
the 2 currently-available Dell 24 inch monitors are very different. The one that is called E268 or something similar is actually a TN-based panel and is not meant for color reproduction, it's meant for speed.

The 2407WFP-HC is a newer version of the 2407, which was a very good monitor (at the same level as the apple 23" no matter what the fanboys may say).

The problem is that Dell has gotten into this whole "High Color" thing and they're now producing the HC model instead of the standard one...and the HC model does have brighter colors and can display more colors, but they are not REAL colors aside from when you view them on that screen. As a result, they are not as easy to calibrate, and they don't end up calibrating as well as the ones you could buy earlier this year without HC.

I'm worried that the new Cinema Displays will follow this trend as well...whenever they come out. I wouldn't have thought this would be the case, but then Apple started putting shiny screens on everything, and I never thought they would do that.

The current 23" apple display is better than the current 2407-HC model, but about the same as the old 24" non-HC dell. If you can find one of those on e-bay or at a reseller, then get one, because they are an inch bigger than the apple, but they're also a good bit cheaper, come with a LOT of different inputs, and have a card reader built in.

I ended up deciding on a 27" display instead, which as it happens is an S-IPS panel and costs the same as the 23" Apple cinema display.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
I ended up deciding on a 27" display instead, which as it happens is an S-IPS panel and costs the same as the 23" Apple cinema display.

According to most spec charts the 27" Dell uses an S-PVA panel, not an S-IPS.

YOu can verifiy here:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

One area that the Apple S-IPS panel does beat the Dells is in the area of Video Controller (meaning the one in the monitor) -- Apple ACD cards are very finely tuned and calibrated to SWOP standards. They are certified as such by the ICC and SWOP. Dell's are not.

This is no small detail if you ever have to stand before a Judge, in a court of law, as I did battling a client over color issues. The ACD and its certification saved by butt, and $3780 bucks to boot.

katorga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
gack I hate choosing....

Hmmm. I wonder where Apple gets a 23" panel, they seem to be the only one using it. Everyone else is 24" or 22".

Oh well, back to trying to decide between the 24" Dell HC model, the 23" ACD and a 32" 1080p sharp LCDTV.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Hmmm. I wonder where Apple gets a 23" panel, they seem to be the only one using it. Everyone else is 24" or 22".

Oh well, back to trying to decide between the 24" Dell HC model, the 23" ACD and a 32" 1080p sharp LCDTV.

It's a different panel. The 23" ACD use an S-IPS panel from LG Phillips while the Dell 2407 uses an S-PVA panel from Samsung.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
The Dell is 1" larger (so lower pixel density, but not really to any noticeable degree), and as for which to choose it depends on what you're going to use it for.

You've got your 'nose in the air' graphic designer types who wouldn't settle for anything other than the Apple, and for whom ACD's have won court cases, have saved them from being eaten by sharks, helped consummate their marriage, etc.

Then you've got your general user types who don't need to go the last (often inferred or imaginary) step in image quality but prefer something that's good value with rounded functionality.

The Dell is ergonomically superior to the ACD - It has far better adjustment capabilities and it will help you to sit up straight without further assistance of thick books, etc :D It also has better functionality with multiple inputs, making it useful for e.g. connecting a console as well as a PC. It is, however, more difficult to calibrate even with hardware assistance - nevertheless it is possible. In daily use you'll notice few differences in image quality, if at all.

For your regular use, the Dell is the better prospect. For someone who needs psychological assurance of a 'non-budget' brand as well as easier calibration, then the ACD is your choice. Designwise the Apple still has the edge of course - it's a far more attractive monitor. Both Apple and Dell panels are slightly unsuitable if your primary use is going to be gaming.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
The Dell is 1" larger (so lower pixel density, but not really to any noticeable degree), and as for which to choose it depends on what you're going to use it for.

You've got your 'nose in the air' graphic designer types who wouldn't settle for anything other than the Apple, and for whom ACD's have won court cases, have saved them from being eaten by sharks, helped consummate their marriage, etc.

Then you've got your general user types who don't need to go the last (often inferred or imaginary) step in image quality but prefer something that's good value with rounded functionality.

The Dell is ergonomically superior to the ACD - It has far better adjustment capabilities and it will help you to sit up straight without further assistance of thick books, etc :D It also has better functionality with multiple inputs, making it useful for e.g. connecting a console as well as a PC. It is, however, more difficult to calibrate even with hardware assistance - nevertheless it is possible. In daily use you'll notice few differences in image quality, if at all.

For your regular use, the Dell is the better prospect. For someone who needs psychological assurance of a 'non-budget' brand as well as easier calibration, then the ACD is your choice. Designwise the Apple still has the edge of course - it's a far more attractive monitor. Both Apple and Dell panels are slightly unsuitable if your primary use is going to be gaming.
My, aren't we feeling antagonistic today. :rolleyes:

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
No. Just like it is.
Then I'll disagree with you. I do motorsports photography as a hobby, but I'm relatively new to it. Spending the extra couple hundred for the ACD was well worth it. I've seen the Dell 2407. I was considering it, and am glad I chose the ACD. I am extremely pleased with the quality I get for post processing photos. I had a lot of problems with that when I just used my MBP, even after doing a hardware assisted calibration. The Dell display, OTOH, was not consistent edge-to-edge, corner-to-corner, and that's a problem for doing serious graphics.

You are right that the ACD may be overkill for many people, but your contempt for graphics folks is unwarranted, unfair, and makes you that much less credible as someone to listen to for an opinion.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
OTOH some of my ACD's are not consistent edge-to-edge, corner to corner, as are some of my 2407WFP-HC's. One of my ACD's for example has a distinctly noticeable 'dark patch' to the centre-upper-left of the screen. Both, I note, have some degree of display / quality variety and it is up to you to get the support in order to correct any such issues. I think both deliver good performance with the ACD having a very slight edge and certainly as I remarked the ease of calibration, but for the vast majority of regular users it's a change which is not going to make a significant difference. On top of that the Dell has some notable functional advantages and I happened to mention those.

I find it rather laughable that I should seek or indeed seek to infer any credibility of/to my opinions. This is an internet forum. I'm giving my opinion as I'm writing in a topic of interest to me. However, my opinions come from actually having the items under discussion in front of me - something that I note from responses don't always occur.

Any 'contempt' I have - if that is your interpretation - for graphic design professionals comes from working with and employing them on a regular basis.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I am going to agree with Sesshi.

While the ADC may be better for photography and graphics work, the Dell is just as good or better for the average consumer. For people who use a display for basic computing like Word and internet and some gaming, the Dells multiple inputs and built in card reader (not to mention price) far out way the color accuracy and ease of calibration.

I am probably going to get the Dell but I heard that they may be releasing a new version soon and it is a little more than I was hoping to pay. So I am holding out to see if I can get a slightly better deal.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Glad My Company Doesn't Partner With Yours.

OTOH some of my ACD's are not consistent edge-to-edge, corner to corner, as are some of my 2407WFP-HC's. One of my ACD's for example has a distinctly noticeable 'dark patch' to the centre-upper-left of the screen. Both, I note, have some degree of display / quality variety and it is up to you to get the support in order to correct any such issues. I think both deliver good performance with the ACD having a very slight edge and certainly as I remarked the ease of calibration, but for the vast majority of regular users it's a change which is not going to make a significant difference. On top of that the Dell has some notable functional advantages and I happened to mention those.

I find it rather laughable that I should seek or indeed seek to infer any credibility of/to my opinions. This is an internet forum. I'm giving my opinion as I'm writing in a topic of interest to me. However, my opinions come from actually having the items under discussion in front of me - something that I note from responses don't always occur.

Any 'contempt' I have - if that is your interpretation - for graphic design professionals comes from working with and employing them on a regular basis.

Wow, sounded like contempt to me: I employ graphic design pros in my studio as well, except I find their input really valuable.

I pay 3 graphic artists, 1 flash developer and 2 Php/MySQL enginners. The artists, the flash guy and 1 Php Software engineer prefer the 23" ACD to our Dell. The other engineer, as well as my admin assistant like the Dell.

It is true that the OLDER 23" ACD's had consistency issues -- but these are the 3 to 4 year old panels. The newer ACD's (last 18 months) are outstanding and have got the industry tests to demonstrate this.

Here are a couple of links to peruse:

http://www.xrite.com/documents/literature/gmb/en/eye-one-xxx_apple-cinema-whitepaper_en.pdf

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/270922/

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9613&hl=prosense
******* In this luminous landscape url and the macrumors url read the Neoprinters post to learn why Wide Gamut Displays Are NOT suited to print and photography work. You get colors and "deltas" between colors that are not accurate." This has nothing to do with attitude, etc, it has to do with getting paid for accurate work. That is why MY shop is very profitable.

No way around it: ACD just has 1) A better Panel, 2) A better Controller Board, 3) SWOP certification. I am talking about ACD's produced last 18 months when Apple upgraded these panels: Let's compare Apples to Apples, shall we?

As I have previously said, the DELL has BETTER Features not related to graphics arts and photography. Much Better

The artists in my studio concur.

Glad we don't work together: last thing our agency needs is your smugness.

Dante

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Keep it up Dante, you're doing a great job.

FYI - All of my ACD's are under 18 months old. As are my Dell panels. For personal use, I have about an eighteen-month replacement window for desktops, and about a year for every category of notebook I have. For the work machines it's two years maximum for desktops and notebooks - and we tend to buy new displays along with the machines. I am very much in the mode of comparing Apples to Apples - more than many others, I would have thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.