23" ACD to iMac G5

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by monke, Dec 27, 2007.

1. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I got a 23" ACD sitting here and can't figure out for the life of me how to plug it into my iMac G5.

I called Apple to make sure that it would work and they said yes.

However the iMac G5 only supports a VGA monitor and the ACD is DVI...

Any ideas?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can buy a VGA to DVI converter.

It's not worth the money though.

Why'd you get an ACD for an iMac G5? :confused:

3. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Christmas present. :)

As for the converter, any good ones and bad ones to look out for?

4. timestamp macrumors 6502

Bad news for you. If this is a new ACD and the G5 only supports VGA (Which it seems all G5 iMac only do VGA). You will not be able to use the ACD with the G5.

The newer ACDs do not accept analog signals. So even if you get the converter it will not work.

5. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Really? :mad:

That sucks. :(

6. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

:( that really does suck, i wouldn't mind someone buying me a 23" ACD, I'm using 2 x 24" Dells for photography work, but i want a 23" ACD as a 3rd monitor for video, If i suggest the wife buying me one i know it will cost me a holiday in return, but you will get a good price for it :rolleyes:
    still leaves you with a sick feeling because its such a nice monitor :)

7. timestamp macrumors 6502

Yeah, I am sorry to have to break it to you. It does suck. Unfortunately there isn't another solution really.

You could maybe pull it off with this: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4173

You would need to do: Mini-VGA to VGA Cable (male to male), VGA-DVI adapter (female to male), DVI into Gefen box. Profit?

Obviously not very elegant. And also expensive. Probably not worth it :p

8. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

What about something like this? http://www.x2vga.com/product

Anyway I called Apple today. Got on the phone and told the guy my story and asked him if it would work. He said yes. He points me to the Apple VGA Display Adapter which I've already got. He says that will make it work. Quite obviously it doesn't since the Cinema Display is DVI. I explain this to him. Then he points me to the Apple DVI to VGA Display Adapter which won't work either. It the opposite of what I need. I need a male VGA and a female DVI cable. Once again I explain this to him. He says it will work but I have to find an adapter for it.

I'm going to try and go to the store where I got it from and tell them to hook it up since they said it would work too.

9. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Just buy a Mac Pro or a Mac Mini to go along with the new monitor.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There isn't a DVI output anywhere on that box.

Isn't the Mac Pro a bit harsh?

11. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

lol i have the slight suspicion that there might be a cheaper solution.... :p

12. timestamp macrumors 6502

Just a tip. Most Apple employees don't know anything about the products. This is why they think it will work.

Don't waste your time going to the store unless you want to prove them wrong so you can return without taking a hit. I would return and put the cash away for later to get a new computer or a new monitor.

Probably not.

13. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Any NEW Mac would work, but I don't need one yet, nor can I afford the one I want yet. :rolleyes:

Whoops, I posted the wrong link. It's called the VGAtor (http://www.vgator.com/en/) but their site seems to be down right now.

It's not just the fact that I want to prove them wrong, its the fact that they and Apple have all told me that it will work. They said that if I opened the Display that I couldn't take it back but at the same time they told me specifically (and Apple twice) that it would work. We'll see how it plays out.