23" ACD with 1.5 GHZ 17" G4 Pbook-will it work? please help.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by capsule, Jun 21, 2007.

1. capsule macrumors newbie

Hello-

Quick version if you don't want to read my whole story: Will I have any major troubles using a 23 inch Cinema Display as a display for my 17 inch 1.5 GHz powerbook with 1 GB of RAM? Thanks.

Whole story:
    I am by no means a regular here, but hope someone might offer some kind advice. I have searched the forums for the info I need but can't seem to find assurance.

I purchased a 17 inch 1.5 GHz Powerbook with 1 GB of RAM in Fall 2004. I am an illustrator who works regularly in Illustrator and Photoshop and occasionally Flash. Generally things run smoothly though sometimes the fans kick in and become a minor annoyance. The machine has become my primary computer for creating art and thus I need a new monitor to make things more comfortable posture-wise for long bouts of work.

I hope to purchase a refurb 23 inch ACD with long term intentions of possibly upgrading to a Mac Pro. I am curious if anyone has any experience with such a setup or if those of you with more technical knowledge might advise on the sort of performance I can expect with this setup. Will the ACD create any sort of strain? Buying the monitor refurb for $750 doesn't seem as grand a step as a whole new setup and I certainly would have to put that other sort of purchase off until the new OS is released. Thank you for reading all this-any advice is appreciated.

P.S. if I missed the answer elsewhere in the forums I apologize. thank you again.

chris

2. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I have used my 15" PowerBook G4 with a variety of monitors and never had any type of problem whatsoever. It even runs the 30" ACD in my music instructor's office. I never noticed any added strain, such as beachballs or fan noise.

3. capsule thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply theLimit...I wonder if your having the faster processor makes a difference.

christopher

4. ghettochild macrumors regular

I don't think you'll encounter any problems hooking your PB to a 23" ACD. Assuming that your graphics card has 64 MB you may want to use the PB in closed mode so that the graphics card can dedicate the full 64 MB to the ACD.