23" Apple Cinema Display vs. 24" HP LP2475w

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blairh, Mar 2, 2009.

?

23" Apple Cinema Display vs. 24" HP LP2475w Monitor

1. 23" Apple Cinema Display (New, $756.00)

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 24" HP LP2475w (New, $609.91)

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Please vote and feel free to add comments below.

Trying to pick between two monitors. 23" ACD has been discontinued, as you probably know, but I found a local retailer who has a brand new one still in stock for $756.00 (Tax included, pick up item in store). The other option is the 24" HP LP2475w currently going for $609.91 at Amazon (free shipping).

Would be using the monitor in conjunction with my MBP in clamshell mode.

ACD is a S-IPS panel. HP LP2475w is H-IPS.

What would you purchase with those two choices and prices?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

HP because I'm cheap but have luxury lust. :D You may even be able to get it cheaper with coupon codes on HP's site - worth 5 minutes of hunting if you decide to go that way.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

HP without a doubt. 3 year warranty, cheaper, newer panel, more connection options.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Is there a specific reason you need the fancy panels? This Acer could save you a lot of money.

5. spacemanps macrumors regular

spacemanps

new egg has a 24' samsung that looks rather good. I dunno which isp or even if it is an isp but its 270 i think

thats the one i am debating

if you want high end, go with dells ultra sharp...

6. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I want to get into video editing, so I'm thinking the IPS would be the right choice.

It might be overkill for the basic stuff (word/web), I don't really know.

7. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

IPS is worth it in my opinion. Or wait for monoprice or Apple to come out with a DVI->MDP adapter and get the 24" :)

8. spacemanps macrumors regular

spacemanps

that 24 apple display is just soooo expensive...

9. Moriarty macrumors 6502

The ACD is slightly smaller (higher pixel density), and wins in the sexiness department by a long shot.

The HP is better in every other aspect.

If you're willing to pay that premium, and sacrifice extra input options, a slightly better panel, etc, then go for the ACD. Otherwise, the HP is good.

10. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Follow Up Question.......

Here is a related question to my OP that I would LOVE to have answered:

Is an IPS panel noticeably better in regards to tasks that are not photo related? Meaning will I enjoy surfing the web more or writing in m.word (2 things I do the most) on an IPS panel (instead of a TN)? I understand that digital photo work essentially requires an IPS panel due to the larger range of colors the monitor can produce (on a side note I'm assuming looking at my photos in Iphoto would be a treat on an IPS panel). Down the road I plan on using my MBP for video work (with this external), so again I assume the IPS will be a big advantage over a TN panel. Viewing angles really is a non factor considering it's always me alone in front of the monitor.

In another post others suggested I visit an Apple Store or BB to check out different monitors, etc. But I simply don't have access to a matte 24" IPS (yes it has to be matte for me).

I'd appreciate your opinions. I've read almost every online technical breakdown of IPS vs both TN and VA. I feel like I understand the subject matter but can't answer for sure if the extra money for an IPS is worth it or not in my situation.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

(I currently use a TN Dell 19" LCD that I hate, but it is also attached to an ancient Dell tower).

11. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

You would think the colors wouldn't shift at say 24" diagonal but they do. :(

12. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

PaulinMaryland

For the life of me, I don't understand why more of us don't do as I do and buy a used IPS (HP, Dell, Samsung, Philips, et al.) 23 or 24 for $175 to $350. At that price, who cares if it's less than perfect?

13. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

why would i spend money on something and not expect it to be perfect, or at the very least the best it can be? i don't take any peace of mind knowing that, well, i saved buying used but i can't expect it to be the best it can be.

if i'm throwing down significant cash, i want the very best performance. buying a new monitor means a 3 year warranty and prompt customer service (at least from HP it does).

14. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

PaulinMaryland

Because doing so will leave you hundreds of dollars richer. Buy it on eBay and you can buy a Square Trade warranty and still come out far ahead. My two Philips 230Ws sold for more than $2000 in 2004 and 2005. I got each on eBay for $219 shipped. Same panel as the original ACD, way more ports and controls.

On a side note, I'm a family man; I needed a pair of IPS monitors this size for my work, but with two daughters in or heading to college, there's no way my wife would "let" me buy two new large IPSs at a new price.

15. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I respect your financial situation, I think most of us can relate during these times, but I still think it's a risky investment. If it has worked out for you, I'm happy, but to throw down money for used monitors and hope for the best doesn't make sense to me. Even if you are saving money.

I'd rather purchase new monitors on a credit card and pay the debt off eventually. Just my opinion.

16. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Pulled the trigger on the HP LP2475w. Once I get it I will post a review. As beautiful as the ACD is, I couldn't justify spending more for a smaller panel and slightly inferior screen.

If anyone has put the 23" ACD next to a HP LP2475w, I'd love to hear your impressions comparing them.