23 charge cycles ~7 weeks. too much?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Throwback, May 11, 2011.

1. Throwback macrumors newbie

So I purchased my first mbp 13'' on 3/28. Currently it charges up to 97-99%; 5635/5770 mAh. Im up to 23 charge cycles on the battery. Is this normal? Plus I'm new to Mac and MR, so I don't know anything.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. ender land macrumors 6502a

It totally depends on what you use it for.

I have had my MBP for roughly six months (26 weeks) and have 133 charge cycles on it. This is roughly 5 per week and slightly higher than yours. My battery health is listed at 88%, although I have not fully calibrated my battery in a while.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

You know, today I was complaining to one of my co-workers about how I put too many charge cycles on my 15" Pro (I have 82 and I bought mine in Dec.)
    Anyway, he had 78, and he bought his the day the new ones were released in March. :eek:
    As everyone says, it all depends on how you use it.
    One of my good friends has a June '09 Revision 13" Pro with ~780 charge cycles and still gets near 3 hours.

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I've had this one for 2 months and I've only got 13 cycles on it. Lol, I'm just not hard core enough... yet... :)

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

"Too much" is a relative term. It's a battery. It's meant to be used. Don't even think about it, just use it. It's not worth the brain power that it takes to worry about it.

7. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3 cycles a day? If that's true, you obviously have access to AC power for recharging, so why not use it instead of burning up so many cycles needlessly?

9. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Honestly, I use my laptop out a lot, get back home, eat, etc. Charge it back up. Go out, use it all. Come back, etc. I will use it more with the AC, but for now not possible :(

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

This is almost exactly what I do also. Should I deplete the charge every time I remove it from the power source?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. Just use it on battery when you need to, and plug it in whenever you can. There's no need to fully deplete the battery every time, unless your needs require it.

12. frogger2020 macrumors regular

Good grief! The battery is meant to be used for goodness sake! I don't understand the need to worry about using battery cycles needlessly. If you do, close the laptop and go get a hobby! (Just remember to plug it into the AC power after that! :D)

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

At the rate of 3 cycles per day, the user will reach 1000 cycles in just under a year. As I said, if the user's needs require it, that's one thing. If not, doing so will dramatically shorten the life of the battery, needlessly. I'm not worried about it, but some users have mistakenly thought they couldn't run their Macs on AC power. In the same way, you don't leave your car engine running all night while you sleep, even though you could.

14. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

7 cycles in a month for me, stays plugged up most of the time, unplugged for only short periods of time.

15. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

It's a laptop. I think you can drain and charge it as much as you want :p

16. ZiggyZidel macrumors member

I have 411 cycles and I've had this battery for about 10 months (macbook 4,1, first battery died after 2.5 years)

17. Throwback thread starter macrumors newbie

This seems most logical. Most people, I feel keep their notebooks plugged to the charger and they usually unplug it when they take it with them. For me I unplug it when I go to class or the library. Then ill plug it in when I come back to my desk. Now I realize that when I take the NB with me I increase the number of cycles.

18. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

I'm at 35 in 14 weeks, I usually have mine plugged in.

my 2006 is a different story...

[​IMG]

19. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

It seems a little high but if that's what your needs call for then that's what you must do. If you were at home I'd recommend having it plugged in as much as possible. GGJ has good advice for your battery.

20. Treeman574 macrumors regular

37 cycles I got the laptop in late february. No problems so far.

My only question is: How much do replacement batteries cost? If I want to sell mine years later and the battery is dying. Or how much will it cost for apple to replace them after applecare?

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you click the Battery Replacement link near the top of the Battery FAQ I posted, it will lead you to the cost of the battery for your model.

22. Throwback thread starter macrumors newbie

Im calibrating my battery right now, and Im not sure if I had charged it a "full 2 hours" maybe a little less but it was at 100%. Should I do the calibration again?

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're not sure you did it right, you can always do it again. See the Battery FAQ I posted in the 2nd post of this thread.

24. retrorichie macrumors member

Per the FAQ, the built-in battery in the new 13-, 15-, and 17-inch MacBook Pro is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles.

Seriously, I think you don't have much to worry about for a while.

25. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

rigth now mi macbook is in 96% of battery when it goes to about 20 % i put to charge it when its fully charge unplug it and use the battery ? or keep charging it