23" Cinema Display backlight

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by richard.mac, Jan 4, 2008.

1. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Hey guys,

I bought a 23" Cinema Display on Christmas Eve and I noticed the backlight has slightly dark patches in all four corners by a radius of about 1/2 cm and down along the whole bottom by about the same length. With normal use I don't notice it but when viewing photos and movies fullscreen you can see it. I decided to wait a while to see if it would correct itself but it seems to have stayed. Should I worry about this? I am wondering if Apple will consider this and replace it.

Here's a picture of the display with a white image fullscreen to show the dark backlight patches more clearly.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2383/2167212365_4b95b1fb01_b.jpg

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Question.. did you buy it from the AppleStore?
    If so, doesn't the receipt have 14 day return policy? Whereby you can return the item to the store for any reason... and perhaps seeks a exchange or refund. If you goto the store they'll most probably tell you it's "in spec"

State side, they'll charge a 10% fee.. but there's no fee in the UK.. not sure about Down-under..

3. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

I don't have a lot of experience with Apple displays, but I did operate with a 20-inch Cinema Display at my former workplace for several months. Based on the photo you posted, the inconsistency of the backlighting looks similar to my best recollection of how my display appeared. I would suggest, as well, that it's within spec.

4. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

5. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

what does this mean? within specifications of being normal? as in Apple would not classify this as replaceable under warranty?

6. gotzero macrumors 68040

I have two of them, and I find them both to be incredibly even. If it is easily visible under normal conditions I would say something is wrong.