23" Cinema Display Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RubberShoes, Mar 2, 2010.

1. RubberShoes macrumors regular

So I found a great deal for a 23" acrylic cinema display (ADC) with an ADC to DVI converter together for $200

What do you guys think?

I'm a film major and bought a 13" MBP back in July, and after many months with the 13" screen, I love it, but when it comes to video editing, the screen real estate of my iMac back home (1920x1200) is incomparable to only 1280x800.

So before everyone trumps on me for not buying a 17" MBP, hear me out. I love the size of the 13" and wouldn't trade it for anything else. Taking notes and throwing it around from class to class in my backpack is a breeze. Originally I wanted a MBA but, well let's be honest, that's pretty limiting.

So for $200 I found an old acrylic one, it's hardly been used and the CFLs are still pretty bright.

Compared to the limited specs I've found, it's not quite what newer displays can put out in terms of contrast ratio and brightness, but for a comparable price I can only get a 1080 monitor and to me they're limited, at home I really enjoy the 1/2 inch or so the 1200 over the 1080 offers, so that's how I justified that

So, my question is, do you think this is a good buy? I know it's not quite what new monitors are today, but its still a hardly used cinema display, there's a reason everything else is compared to these. I also know the 9400M isn't the greatest at high resolutions, but for Final Cut I'm relying more on the processor and ram, which at 2.53GHz and 4GB, I'm comfortable with.

I also looked into the aluminum 23", but the lowest price I found was $500 and they're only double the contrast ratio and brightness, same with 3rd parties, the minimum I found was $300, and I can't afford that, $200 was my maximum.

So what do you think?

2. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

I used to own a 23" Acrylic Cinema Display a few months ago. Time has not been kind to them. Even at its highest brightness setting and with the screen calibrated I found it to be a poor monitor (compared to more recent offerings).

You're also going to need a dvi-mdp converter as well. Save up your money for something better.

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Wait... Acrylics got that size?

At anyrate,Dell 2209WAs are about $200-ish. If you need a new monitor that has some quality.