23" Cinema Display smudge like marks

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by netnothing, Feb 3, 2010.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Has anyone ever seen anything like the smudge like marks in these images. I have a 23" Aluminum Cinema Display hooked up to my 2006 Mac Pro. Display is out of warranty.

These are hard to describe, but look like dark smudge marks, however, they aren't on the outside of the screen (or even the inside) because the marks come and go. Almost as if the longer the screen has been one, the worse they get, but I haven't been able to find a pattern as to why and when they show up.

On the 2nd pic you'll also notice a faint line running vertically towards the right of the screen.

They are easiest seen on a solid color darker background, like the gray in the pics.

Again, I have seen the smudge like marks disappear and appear, so I know it's not something physically on the screen.

I've also hooked this up to a PC, and the marks are still there, so I know it's not related to the Mac.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Kevin

Attached Files:

2. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ok, so now I can't be sure if it's related to heat or being on for extended period of times.

Basically I slept the display for over an hour, came back and checked it, the smudges and lines were still there.

However, I then went to answer an email (which took about 4 minutes)....when I checked again, the smudges were gone.

Any idea what could cause these? Is it in the panel itself?

-Kevin