23" Cinema with Mini or iMac 20"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wa1uigi, Mar 8, 2008.

1. wa1uigi macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I'm thinking about getting new setup, and there is two options : a Mac Mini with 23" Apple Cinema Display, or iMac 20" 2.0GHz. I don't have enough money to go for a 24" iMac (I can get this ACD monitor in a good price, I think), and I can wait some times for a better configs of iMac and Mini (maybe with the better graphic card, like X3100).
    I see that many of you, have Macbook hooked up to ACD 23", but yeastrday I was playing with 2.0 mini with 1GB of ram on 23" (1920x1200) screen, and when I open more then 10 windows on on Space, expose didn't work fine (I can't tell that It was working smooth and well).

I want to use this setup about two years, than probably I will need some mobile machine (I'm sure it will be Pro mobile computer, like Macbook pro), so when this display will be enough in that time, i can stay with him hooked up into the MBP. What do you thing, will 1920x1200 be still a good resolution ?

I will work on it on some webdeveloper tasks (textmate), with small graphics (in CS3, web gfx or some pictures), watching movies (I hope in HD). But I'm thinking about playing with graphics more, in the begining hobbistic, just to learn something

So, tell me, which is the best choice for me, and will be 23" enough in 2,3 years (I know its looks like stupid question, but I would to use expensive display more then just 1-2 years :))

Cheers guys, and sorry for my English

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Don't buy an Apple Display for resolution's sake. Save some money and buy a Dell display.

If I were you, purchase the iMac. The dedicated card and better processor will "future proof" you better.

3. wa1uigi thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I know, but in my country Cinema Display is only 100$ more expensive than the Dell 24", and I really really really love how ACD looks, so when I'll go for display, I'll go for acd...

But still don't know, maybe now I'll bought an imac 20", and than, after 2 years, go for new MBP and new display... I really don't know what to do ;).

4. ckurowic macrumors regular

ckurowic

It just depends on what your into. If you are into any sort of gaming, get the iMac. However, being tied to one monitor may present issues for you. If you get the mini and the ADC, then when or if you get a Pro or a MBP you can use that monitor on that. I have a 20 inch iMac (alum) and it works great, I maxed out the RAM and get 40-50 fps in UT-3.

5. wa1uigi thread starter macrumors newbie

I never play games on computer, so that my point of view.

So, If Cinema Display will be still great monitor after two years, and 1920x1200 will do a job so good as today, I'll go for this configuration with maxed out Mac Mini, and in two years reaplace it with Macbook pro.

But still, I can go for iMac 20" and maybe get an iPhone, with be a good hardware for me when I don't have a notebook, and after two years, sell the iMac, get the newest monitor and MBP and be up to date, but I think this will be really painful for my budget, but there is much time...