23 Inch Apple Cinema Display and Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joetothphoto, Aug 3, 2011.

1. joetothphoto macrumors newbie

Hi there, I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a new 15 inch Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt and the hi res display. I also recently bought a 23 inch Apple Cinema display, one of the later models.

I have hooked it up, so I know it works. But it wasn't as sharp as I thought it might be. I was curious if I need to set it up in a certain way.

Joe

2. Romeo604 macrumors regular

did you check system preferences, click display and the highlighted resolution should be 1920x1200? you many just need to get used to the screen size.

3. nutmac macrumors 68040

Assuming you have both displays running at native maximum resolution, 15" MBP with high res LCD has significantly higher pixel density (129 pixels per inch) than Apple's 23" LCD (98 pixels per inch). Apple's 27" LCDs fare better (109 pixels per inch), but it's a fact of life you have to deal with. Try sitting a bit further away to compensate.

4. joetothphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Yes both are running at their max res. I read something that if my macbook is open and I am running in mirror mode, this affects the 23 inch display as well. Is this true.

5. nutmac macrumors 68040

Not in terms of of resolution. Only affects performance in that your Mac's GPU and video memory must render images and text on two monitors.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If it's in mirror mode, the external display will only run at your MacBook's lower resolution (i.e., mirroring the internal display). Untick the Mirrror checkbox in Preferences - Displays - Arrangement