23 inch Mac monitor won't start.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Be Sting, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Be Sting macrumors newbie

I have a 23 inch Mac monitor connected to a Mac Pro. On a clean start up (all power off) the monitor doesn't turn on. Instead... the monitor stays black but there's a slow pulsating light on the monitor. When I put my finger on the "on" button... the light become solid for three seconds, or so, but the monitor doesn't turn on... and the like is back pulsating (even if I don't remove my finger).

I noticed this morning that when I came into the office, the tower was turned off... but the monitor light was pulsating.

After turning my Mac Pro off and on several times, the monitor does come on.

Any ideas are completely appreciated! Love the Mac community!

2. 666sheep, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Pulsating light could indicate sleep mode (depending on settings in System Prefs). Hook display to another computer to rule out graphics card issue. What graphics card you have in this MP? 8800GT maybe? I've heard at least once about similar issue with dying 8800 (from cold start video appeared after couple of restarts).
    These displays have also their own "blink" error codes: https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/Apple_Display_Error_Codes - check them out.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Not on the Cinema displays. The light on a sleeping Cinema (standby) is always on.

The issue the OP described is most likely a failing power supply.

4. Be Sting thread starter macrumors newbie

No Sir! I have an ATY,RadeonX1900... which needs to replaced so I can play Black Ops (another conversation all together). But right now... like the bulk of the population... I have NO money.

Ideas?

Thanks!

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

There's an option to set it to pulsate when sleep in Sys Prefs: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2806 I don't have one yet to check how it works, but when I had one I remember I've played with these settings.
    However I will edit my post above, to precise this for other users who will read this thread in future.
    Thx for recalling :)

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Doh, I didn't know that. I never tried the "Puts the system to sleep or wakes it" state, so I completely missed out on that. :eek:

Always wondered why this is the only light that wouldn't pulsate when sleeping, but it works like a charm now. :D

Thanks for the heads up!

7. tomscott1988 macrumors regular

tomscott1988

I had the same problem, got a new power supply, sorted

8. Be Sting thread starter macrumors newbie

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Just to reiterate, the power supply is probably the culprit. Oddly enough, I had the exact same problem starting today. I spent an hour with applecare today and they said they didn't have an available replacement, so ebay or an authorized repair store would have to do, as it is out of warranty.

To fix it, try unplugging/plugging the small connector into the box from the display 2 or 3 times, it has been recommended and is working for me.

Also there is some part of the connector that can be taped over that people are having success with, but you will have to research that. I did a quick search for 23 apple display power supply problem and it was in the first page.

Good luck and if I find a definitive answer I will post back.

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Had same problem a few months back. Replaced the power supply and everything has been fine since.

Bought one cheap off eBay from China.