23" Mac monitor or other?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DrWhiteFPS, Jul 9, 2008.

1. DrWhiteFPS macrumors member

Hey -

Have $$ to burn and need a peripheral monitor to go with my new MBP. Should I get the 23" monitor from apple or choose another one? I've seen glowing reviews on cnet about dell, samsung, and NEC monitors...but I'm not sure if I believe it.

It will be used mainly for photo editing...

2. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Apple's displays are of very high quality, I doubt you'd be displeased. That said, they haven't been updated in a while and are a tad on the pricey side considering you can buy a screen with better specs for less. You are paying a lot for the Apple name, but they do look very nice and have built in FireWire and USB hubs.

I love my 20", the colour accuracy and viewing angles are great and looks really good on my desk.

3. DrWhiteFPS thread starter macrumors member

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Since your primary function will be photo editing, you will be very pleased with the Apple Cinema Display as the IPS panel it uses offers very good color accuracy.

5. mtfield macrumors 6502

I have a question similar, so i think i will just piggyback on this one.. does anyone know a good place one could buy an apple 23" cinema display? I've already tried craigslist, ebay, and the marketplace here... there are plenty on ebay but are selling out of my price range (I'd love to find one in the $400 range) craigslist are few and far in between and zero in the market place here... Thanks for any tips! **And if anyone has one they want to unload feel free to pm me! :D)
    BTW yes there has been word of them being updated... since like 3 years ago haha.... has to happen eventually, but from what I hear from MR the specs are still pretty much top notch... i read a rumor a while back that the next gen might include a HDMI cable???

Sorry, don't know why it posted twice... PLEASE DELETE! Thanks

6. mtfield macrumors 6502

I have a question similar, so i think i will just piggyback on this one.. does anyone know a good place one could buy an apple 23" cinema display? I've already tried craigslist, ebay, and the marketplace here... there are plenty on ebay but are selling out of my price range (I'd love to find one in the $400 range) craigslist are few and far in between and zero in the market place here... Thanks for any tips! **And if anyone has one they want to unload feel free to pm me! :D)
    BTW yes there has been word of them being updated... since like 3 years ago haha.... has to happen eventually, but from what I hear from MR the specs are still pretty much top notch... i read a rumor a while back that the next gen might include a HDMI cable???

7. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

Personally after a lot of research I think that if the Hazro screens look like a better option then the Apple screens at the moment if you have a hardware calibrator.

You can get a new Hazro 24inch S-IPS screen from overclockers for £460

Thats cheaper and larger then the Apple display.

Not as many inputs which is a shame.

Still the Hazro screens are ALOT newer.

Andy

8. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Just to add to what everyone else has said... When it comes to LCD screens, look for ones that are S-IPS/H-IPS (the best) or S-PVA/MVA (pretty good), but try to avoid TN panels (the worst). With that said it all depends on what you will be doing with your LCD monitor.

The S-IPS/H-IPS and S-PVA/MVA panels are going to have much better color accuracy, contrast, clarity, viewing angles and relatively fast refresh rates, but they are more expensive. Great for the graphic artist, those with discerning taste in LCD monitors and folks who don't want to deal with too much eye strain.

The TN panels are less expensive and have fast refresh rates, but will generally have poor color accuracy, contrast, clarity and viewing angles. Generally desired by gamers for their fast refresh rates.

Note: All 22" wide screen LCD monitors are use TN panels.

One problem is that not all LCD monitor vendors advertise what type of panels they use in their LCD monitors, so you'll probably have to do a little bit of research.

This is a good website where you can do side-by-side comparisons of many different LCD monitors: http://www.digitalversus.com/

This article, LCD Panel Technology Explained, does a good job of explaining the different LCD panel technologies.

If I were you I would go with a higher quality LCD monitor (non TN panel type) because in the long run it is your eyes that have to look at the thing day in and day out. :)

9. WhitneyHouston macrumors newbie

A 20" question after some reading...

Wow, Thanks Black Max and others for all that GREAT info. And I am learning but still have a lot to learn.

Looks to me like the 20" are often better technology
    and still a good size for me. I am also hot for an NEC since my wonderful 1985 NEC 26"TV/Monitor is still ticking. I have a 12" 1.5 Ghz G4 Powerbook and am trying to sort through the NEC MultiSync®
    LCD2070NX,VX, etc and some others. Of course none of them say what the screen is but looks like S-IPS/H-IPS with the viewing angle. They seem around $400-500 with a 3 year warranty yet! I could get a refurbished 20" Mac for $499 and their ****** warranty but I am getting tired of sucking from that teat.
    Anyway here's my current question, My powerbook says it can support a monitor up to 1024 X 768 so am I wasting money or losing picture quality going to a monitor they recommend running higher than that ie 1600 X 1200?

Thanks in advance for any help. The NEC monitors all say active-matrix but don't say much else.

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

20" widescreen LCD monitors generally have a native resolution of 1680x1050.

20" 4:3 ("square") LCD monitors generally have a native resolution of 1600x1200.

Running either monitor at 1024x768 will either force the monitor to "stretch" the image to fit the screen, which degrades the quality or run it at an actual 1024x768 with large areas of no image around it.

So if you are limited to 1024x768, you will want a 15 or 17" 4:3 monitor with a native resolution of 1024x768. This will look the best.

11. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

The best NEC monitors are the Multisync **90 UXi or UXp series. Those are all IPS panels (of course - they're more expensive!); I think the cheaper ones you listed are not.

12. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

We're all wondering the same thing. It has been a long time since an update with no hint from Apple http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Apple_Cinema_Displays

If they are waiting for next version to have LED backlight, I can't see it happening any time soon.

13. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'd get the Dell 2408WFP. Cheaper, Better, Bigger, Higher Resolution.

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I wouldn't read too much into the IPS vs everything else these days, and a lot of what's been written so far is I suspect from people who haven't sat in front of whatever they're recommending / dissing - or it's the only one they bought on the recommendations of others, the supposed quality becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy.

TN is surely a limited technology but all the rest of the names that comes up often these days are generally sound for prosumer use. I go for the Dell 2408WFP's partly due to the discounts that we get but even looked at from a standalone perspective - apart from a truckload of the Apple monitors too, I've bought a few of the others which crop up on these forums - they are pretty decent monitors. Pick up a hardware calibrator in addition to the monitor and you're pretty much set. The settings on the monitor can be a little confusing if you've only ever used the no-brainer Apple monitors but it is calibrateable(sic) to be very usable. Due to the Mac video output, you will invariably end up needing to fiddle with the settings on a Dell, and many other non-Apple monitors, even prior to calibration.

I think the Apple monitors are OK, but the variety between batches is significantly less consistent than what I've had from other manufacturers, to the extent of having to do a lot of mixing and matching to get all the monitors calibrated in multimonitor banks. That alone makes a slight mockery out of all that's gushed over for the ACD's on this forum. The 30" is decent and probably more consistent across the board that I've had experience of, but then so is the Dell and HP.

You could also consider the 2709W from Dell if you're thinking about spending money on the ACD. It's on the large side for a 1900 x 1200 monitor but provided your desk has enough depth it's not a bad way to go (the coarser pixel density is unnoticeable) and it is more flexible. I have a few of the older 2707WFP's and I find them better monitors than the 23"ACD if I have enough room on the desk to set them back. I can't say the same will be the case with the newer screen since I don't have any yet, but certainly the panel on the 2707WFP was decent, with better panel uniformity on average than the ACD's.

But ultimately as I see on these forums, there's quite a bit of psychology that goes into a purchase, how people approached the buying process and what you feel works for you. People who've bought Dell monitors and been unable to get their heads around the settings buy Apple, and think it better. That may not be the whole truth, but for some it might be true. There are also people who may do a crapload of research prior to the purchase and worry about IPS vs MVA, end up buying a Dell for cost reasons then find it very good. If they're recommending it they have no other point of actual reference, but they may also be right in a way.

15. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Around 2018. :rolleyes:

16. DrWhiteFPS thread starter macrumors member

maybe it's me, but I think the dell screens are no comparison to the macs...

They appear very washed out compared to the mac's vibrant screen...

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There is this thing called 'on screen controls' composed of a set of 'buttons' on the screen itself - physical controls you actually press in, something that Jobsphiles may be relatively unfamiliar with - you can use to change that. If that is too hard to master as it is apparently for some people, even those with hardware calibrators - then you may genuinely be best off with the no-brainer Apple monitors.

18. WhitneyHouston macrumors newbie

Well, MAYBE that IS what I want, something that works right out of the box?
    I see the refurbished 20" Macs are going for $499 with full warranty (if you want to call it that).

19. dkeninitz macrumors regular

I'm in a similar boat, having just bought a new Mac Pro to replace my 3 year-old Power Mac G5 w/ 20" ACD (I'll be keeping both, but they're going to be relegated to my music room strictly for use with Logic Studio). The 20" ACD has been a good monitor: not the best at anything, but very good overall, and the convenience of the Firewire/USB ports is of more than trivial import to me. Thus, I've been considering the 23" ACD for my Mac Pro, though $900 is definitely pricey for a monitor whose standout features are design elegance and ports, rather than pure performance. If the Lacie 324 was actually available anywhere I'd jump on it, but it's not, so that brings the ACD back into the picture.

Ahh, what to do/buy...?

20. Flobber88 macrumors regular

I just received my 23'' ACD from eBay today and it is gorgeous (and is taking some time getting use to the size of it!)

I was debating the Dell 2408WFP vs the ACD and got a better deal on eBay with Apple Care than if I were to buy new (of course its used vs new but this monitor has no defects) I also couldn't get a straight answer on transfer of warranty on Dell, which seems to require proof of purchase and involves the long process of switching it.

If you are looking at the Dell, check out this discussion on the Dell site. The Rev A01 has just been released which supposedly may fix the input lag, over saturated reds and maybe the left side being brighter than the right. They say to wait 2-3 weeks before you order to ensure you get the new firmware.

That being said, I love my monitor and fits well with my MBP, although Im still trying to figure out the best way of positioning both setups.

21. dkeninitz macrumors regular

Well, that thread nixed any ideas I had about the Dell 2408. I guess I'll spring for the ACD tomorrow.

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I've had banding problems, I've had power supply issues, colour consistency issues, I've had patchy illumination problems...

... on the ACD's. More so than the Dells, it has to be said. And I'm not going by a sample of one. Furthermore if you have problems, Dell are happy to sort you out. Apple? Ha. The time we've wasted yo-yoing monitors that we consider faulty in terms of image is quite considerable by itself. True, you get better service (in many cases if you're verbose enough and can prove the issue they'll exchange the monitor there) by carting it off to a Genius but we just don't have that kind of time to waste.

I'd say at this point in time for example we have at least ten ACD's with PSU's that whistle (including two at home) that I know of that we can't be arsed to exchange yet, because it's not like Dell where you tell them a problem and they're at your door with a replacement monitor the following day.

23. Flobber88 macrumors regular

I would have to agree with Dell on having a better exchange policy.

If you get a dead/stuck pixel on a ACD you'll have to try your hardest, whereas Dell is glad to exchange it.

Both have their pro and cons.

24. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Ah ********* i just bought a 20" lg after seeing how good the acds are i want on of those btw i got mine for $140

25. dkeninitz macrumors regular

Well, I'm happy for you. Nonetheless, I got my 23" ACD today and love it. No dead pixels. And I've never had any of the other problems you describe, though I'm not saying they don't happen. On the Dell, the one thing that even Dell seemed to acknowledge was the significant input lag. I'm not a gamer, so I don't care that the ACD's don't have the fastest response times, but input lag drives me crazy. That alone was enough to make me discount the Dell. And, as someone who bought all my stuff from Dell for ten years before switching to Mac's five years ago, I didn't find Dell any more "happy to sort me out" than anyone else, least of all Apple.