Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Its in the "breaking news" bar on CNN, no reports yet other than it was in a "marine accident". I'll update when an article comes along.

EDIT: here is the CNN article which looks to be the same as the yahoo one...oh well, all I can say is...Crikey! Ok, so maybe that is hearltess, but I did find the guy irritating to the extreme. Although I do feel bad for his family...

EDIT 2: The CNN link has been updated. I don't like the way they selectively quoted him at the very end; for the whole quote see the post by Chundles.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Oh wow. :eek:

That's certainly sad news - especially for his wife and children. Even though he was most famous for his TV shows, he actually did an amazing amount of environmental and conservation work.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Unfortunately it's true. According to the news he was deep sea diving and got hit by the poisonous barb of a stingray. Kind of ironic that he defied death so many times working with his crocodiles only to meet death in some other way. You never know when it's your time to go...

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
If this story is true, it's sad... but not unexpected. I always imagined there'd be a final, shorter-than-usual episode of Crocodile Hunter in which one of the crocs would finally get the better of Steve.

Whodathunk it'd be something as relatively innocuous as a stingray that would finally be the end of him?

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
This is indeed terrible news, especially for his family, they are reporting on the news and tv over here so almost certainly true.

On a more salient point i have been expecting this for a long time, you cant play with fire for this long and not get burnt.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
clayj said:
I always imagined there'd be a final, shorter-than-usual episode of Crocodile Hunter in which one of the crocs would finally get the better of Steve.
There was one episode when he came dangerously close to being devoured by a croc. It actually snipped and got a hold of his fingers, but he didn't pull away (as most people would do) instead just let the croc bite his finger and he slowly moved towards it. Something must have happened because the croc just let go.

I've heard of people surviving crocodile attacks. Keeping a clear mind so you can poke them in the eyes is one way, especially if a croc has your tummy in their jaws.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yep, it's true. I picked on him a lot but he was a decent man, a good bloke, a father of two - he died one day after Father's Day and he will be sorely missed.

Below is the story from ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Steve Irwin dead
The naturalist and television star Steve Irwin has died in a diving accident in far north Queensland. He was 44.

Police say he was stung through the heart by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas.

He was filming a documentary when the accident occurred around midday AEST near the Low Isles.

A helicopter arrived with paramedics on board to try to resuscitate him, but it was too late.

Irwin's body is being taken to the morgue in Cairns.

His family are believed to be flying from Brisbane to Cairns this afternoon.

Irwin, who was was born in Victoria in 1962, inherited his love of reptiles from his father.

His father Bob was a keen reptile enthusiast and moved the family to Queensland in 1970 to open a small reptile park on the Sunshine Coast.

Irwin took over the family business in 1991 and grew it into Australia Zoo.

In 1992 he ventured into television, making the first series of the Crocodile Hunter.

When the program aired in the United States, he shot to international fame.

Irwin is survived by his wife Terri and two children.

Nature lover
In 2003, he spoke to the ABC's Australian Story about how he was perceived in his country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing.

"You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty'.

"Just say what you're gonna say, mate. You know, is it a cultural cringe? Is it, they actually see a little bit of themselves when they see me, and they find that a little embarrassing?

"I'm fair dinkum, like kangaroos and Land Cruisers, winged keels and bloody flies! I think we've lost all that. I think we've all become very, sort of, money people."

He also spoke of his love for surfing.

"You get out there, it's just you against the waves.

"There's no paparazzi, there's no fan base, and it gives me a chance to recuperate and regenerate.

"I think I've actually got animals so genetically inside me that there's no way I could actually be anything else.

"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help."

RIP Croc Hunter.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Here's the report from The Australian

CROCODILE Hunter Steve Irwin has died in a freak marine accident while shooting a documentary on the Great Barrier Reef.

The 44-year-old is believed to have been killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest while he was diving, government sources said.

He was filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas when the accident occurred.

Mr Irwin's body was being flown to a morgue in Cairns.

He was stabbed in the chest by the barb of a sting ray whilst filming a documentary. His wife doesn't know yet as she is trekking in Cradle Mountain Tasmania.

This is a map where the event occurred:-

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 227

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
"Crickey" what a shame! :(

and what a way to go. At least he went doing something he loves (tormenting creatures)...

and his wife doesnt know yet, because she's off treking and not contactable...

urgh

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Cybix said:
and what a way to go. At least he went doing something he loves

What? Writhing in agony from a stingray spike to the heart?

I hate that phrase, nobody dies doing something they loved, it's always ugly.

Stingrays aren't regarded as killers, the poor guy copped one in the chest and that was that, it's probably pierced his heart and made him go into arrest whilst the poison did the rest of the job.

Haven't heard anything about his wife on the ABC, be awful if she really is out of reach, Cradle Mountain's not exactly the centre of civilisation.

What a tragedy, and the day after Father's Day too... so sad.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
elvirav said:
This is very sad! He's got young kids, too. I hate stories such as this.

Yeah, day after Father's Day too, very sad.

EDIT: They've contacted and informed his wife. Good to hear they managed to track her down.

Phazotron

Feb 10, 2005
USA
Very Sad.

All those times handling snakes and crocs, only to get it from a Stingray.

Very sad. He will be missed. It seemed like he had a tight knit group of friends around him though; so his wife and baby will have some support.
Sad.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
That's too bad. He was a bit strange, but he was interesting, and he made animals and conservation more interesting for people who would generally not care.

I have a bad Van Damme quote that's fitting, but I won't go there. :eek:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i couldn't sleep so i went on yahoo and saw this on the front page.
So sad. He was crazy, but in a good way. I feel bad for his family. He has such young kids. RIP steve... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.