23in Cinema Display for $400. Is that a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kmarketing, Jul 11, 2008.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have a chance to get a 23" cinema display in perfect condition for $400. Is that a good deal. I know there are 24" monitors out there for less, but I was thinking that with the same number of pixels, the 23" would like nicer.

You here are the experts, so please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Does it WORK?!

That deal seems far too good to be true.

3. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

It is perfect condition.

I thought that these things are pretty much out dated now, and was thinking that maybe it's too much.

How much should I be expecting to pay normally?

Thanks!

4. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

UMMM, if you don't buy it I would be very interested. A used perfect condition 23" should be going for almost $600. Go and check ebay, these are still very hot items.

I say buy, buy, buy.

5. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Geez, I can't believe how much they still go for!

Are they really that good? I used to have a 20" aluminum, and it was nice and all, but my samsung seems just as good.

How about other brands, any ones you like in the $400 range?

Thanks!

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple still sells them. They are not outdated. The prices are high, but the panels are still the best out there, and no other display gives you FireWire.

Apple sells them for twice that.

7. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

For the $400 price range I can't imagine getting a much better monitor (from any other brand) than a 23" ACD. These panels are great and as mentioned before, you do get firewire ports.

8. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Okay, I just picked up the screen, it is in great shape and I can't believe the difference in just 3 inches from my 20" screen.

I set it up with our mini and noticed something...

When I set the background to a solid grey or blue, and open some windows, then move the windows away, I still see remnants of those windows.

Is that ghosting??
    Is there a setting that I should be aware of?
    Is that something I should be concerned about?
    I am using a mac mini, maybe the video card cannot drive the 23" screen?

It's not that bad at all, but since I am new to this, I just don't know what it is.

Thanks for your help!

9. 173080 macrumors 6502

10. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

I ended up getting it for $350. But now with this "image persistency" issue as I guess it is known, I'm a a bit concerned.

Is this something I should be really concerned about?
    It's not too bad, but I would hate for it to worsen.

Thanks!

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you can't solve the problem and it becomes too annoying for you to handle, I'll buy it from you for $250.

Just saying.

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

They are totally outdated, have only one input, a giant power brick and have awful response times compared to much cheaper monitors on the market.

13. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

However, they do have exceptionally high quality panels that are surpassed by the $1000+ LaCie displays (and similar brands) in offering great color reproduction. The ACD uses a single DVI connection because it is a digital signal that one doesn't have to adjust with on-screen controls. Cheaper displays use cheaper panels (read about types of panels here), the ACD uses an S-IPS panel for great color reproduction, but they are not known for quick response times, though the ghosting effect described by the OP should not occur. The ACD was intended as more of a professional display, as professionals don't do color sensitive work on a $200 display they found while bargain shopping. The ACD looks great and works great for it's intended audience, as well as most consumers who are willing to shell out the money for one. I must say that I can't be happier with my 23" ACD.

14. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

i'd go along with all that as i use one at work sometimes i think their one of the best screens out

15. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

It turns out the display is from late 2005.

The image persistency issue doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. The images do not seem permanent or so easily visible. Just in case, as suggested by apple.com and other websites, I created a white screen saver to help remove some of those images just in case. But it doesn't seem to be much of a problem, as I have been using it for a few hours now.

My concern, is whether it will get worse.

Also, how do I check for the pink tinting that has been an issue?

Other than that, I am able to return the display if I want to. Do you think that it is still a decent buy for $350 at this point?

Thanks!

16. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

About pink tinting: if you can't notice it, it ain't a problem :p.

About the monitor.. hmm, I don't know much about Macs, but maybe change refresh rate settings a little higher? Should be a way to tweak that somehow so that your screen gets 'cleaned' more frequently.

So yeah, if I had that problem in Windows I would change refresh rates and if that didn't work, I'd update drivers for my graphics card. There are probably Mac equivalents for doing those things.

17. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

18. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

19. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Thanks, I really appreciate your opinions!

I took some pics (sorry for the low quality). Can you tell if it has the pink tinting issue?

As for the image persistency issue, I seem to have minimized it with having a black or dark background, and using the white screen saver.

So if you think it's good to go, then this will be a keeper!

Thanks!

Attached Files: