24" 2.66GHz or 2.93GHz iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dylanbrown, Mar 4, 2009.

1. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I am going up to the Buchanan Street  Store in Glasgow tomorrow to pick up a new iMac, but can't decide whether to get the 24" 2.66GHz or 2.93GHz one.

What one would you go for, and if possible, why?

Thanks for helping me out!

2. Styxie macrumors member

I've got the same dilemma. The 2.66 is a lot cheaper, you could use that money to get a new desk, buy an external drive, maybe a good sound system. On the other hand, the extra .27 GHz might be noticable in the long run, more so when you add the GT 120 to the party (instead of the crummy onboard 9400M chip). Some dudes say Snow Leopard will use the GPU for processing and whatnot, so a better GPU might be a better choice if you're planning on upgrading to Snow Leopard.
    All the same, I'm in the exact same position as you are. Let's see what the rest has to say about this =p

3. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep - I am definitely edging towards the 2.93GHz, and thinking about Snow Leopard - that might be a good idea.

Also, I'm not a huge gamer, but would like to play the odd game sometimes (like COD/ Command & Conquer etc) so the better card might be a nice addition too.

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Well you do get 256 MBs of RAM stolen by the 9400M. That and I wouldn't really trust the 9400M to do demanding stuff at 1920x1200. The dual .27 GHz might be worth it, despite the massive price hike between models. Then again, if you're only a light user, save your cash and put the savings toward a fund for your next computer.

5. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I am a Student, and at the moment I can afford the 2.93GHz. I do agree with your thoughts on the 9400M Graphics Chip, so I think I'll definitely be going for the 2.93GHz - Thanks for your help!