24"-27-30" Dispaly price gap

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by howard, Jul 27, 2010.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

Anyone know why there is such a huge price gap between 24" displays and 27"+ displays?

Not talking about Apple displays as much as the rest. You can pick up a 24" display from Dell or another competition for $200-$300 but 27" start at $1000 and 30" are just ridiculous in price.

You think these prices will ever come down? Why the huge difference?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Because the Dell display isn't an LED. It's an LCD. There's a big difference.
    Because the Dell display doesn't have IPS technology.
    Because the Dell display doesn't have a built-in camera, microphone, and speaker.
    Because the Dell display is crap when compared to Apple's LED offerings.

Also, as 9to5Mac pointed out, Apple's LED displays are actually cheaper than Dell's LED offerings:

[​IMG]

3. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

IPS + Apple Design = Price Premium

O'rly?
    I am 99.9% sure LED describes the backlight and LCD describes the screen type.
    Also, the 2711 is not an LED backlit screen.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do those 24" displays have 1920 x 1200 pixel and IPS?

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Well, they're both LCD, just Apple's displays use LED backlighting whereas the Dells use CCFL backlighting

6. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Apple displays use IPS technology, offering better image quality than cheaper panels.

7. cube macrumors G5

Because the Dell CCFL backlight can display over 1 billion colors while the Apple LED backlight can only display less than 17 million.

There's a reason why Dell doesn't use LED backlights in such monitors.

I have yet to see one wide gamut monitor from any manufacturer which uses a LED backlight.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Besides being LCD :D the Dell is also an IPS. Also Dell makes quality displays and even boosts a faster response (6ms) time and a much higher contrast ratio (80,000:1). I would rather have the Apple but don't bash the Dell without proper knowledge of what it is.;)

9. cw2k7 macrumors member

Apple is quoting the typical contract ratio not dynamic contrast ratio. The Dells typical contract ratio is also 1000:1.

Dell are quoting the grey to grey response time of 6ms this is normally more than half of the black to black response time. Apple have not stated if their is b2b or g2g but at 12ms it is more likely to be b2b. My current dell monitor is 6ms g2g but 16ms b2b.

It is common practice for monitor companies to the better sounding dynamic contract ratios and g2g response times.

10. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

24" displays are the fairly usual resolution of 1920x1080/1200, where as the 27" Displays have a much higher and uncommon resolution, meaning less panels are made, so costs are higher.

11. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

I think most people missed my actual question. I'm not comparing Apple and Dell... I'm comparing Dell and Dell... or Dell with other similar non Apple monitor makers...

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The following didn't answer it then?

13. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

$300-400 24" Screens are usually crap. TN panels and not as many ports or whatever.

27"+ screens are almost all IPS panels, and have tons of options for connectivity. And of course the super high resolutions.

If you want a direct comparison, look at the Dell U2410 vs the Dell U2711. They are the same screen just different sizes.

14. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

See above... The post you quoted and the DeusInvictus7 post above did have useful info.

The price of screens seem to have gone down for a lot in monitors, TVs and such. I'm just surprised that the larger monitors have stayed so high for so long.