24/7 SD card in the 2011 Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Gaffy, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Gaffy macrumors newbie

Hey good folks at macrumors

Long time reader, first time poster here - and I have a question I hope you can help me with.

I just got my hands on the new 13" Air - like so many others, and I absolutely love the machine so far!

But I have the 128gb version, and I can see my self getting cramped for space down the line. I had planned to stick a SD card in the slot and just leave it there, even though its slow compared to the SSD, I should suffice nicely for movies, music and for other storage.

But researching this setup online has given me very different results; some say they can fit only as much as half, or two thirds of an SD card into the slot - others almost the entire card - one user reported sanding 0,5-1mm of his card so it was flush with the rest of the body.

I'm not afraid to sand a bit of the card if it means i can have it flush with the rest of the machine, which would be preferable, if I'm to just leave it there 24/7.

So what I'm asking of you guys; could you stick a SD card in yours and report back? Perhaps take a picture?

I've seen someone recommend a very tine USB to microSD converter, but that still sticks out :/

Thanks in Advance

Gaffy

2. Oli3000 macrumors regular

Simple question for me:

If it was flush, how would you take it out?

I can confirm that the card will stick out slightly!

3. Gaffy thread starter macrumors newbie

By being creative!

Seeing as I'm not a photographer, and not counting on having to use the SD-card slot for anything as such, I would perhaps need to remove the card once in a blue moon.

I could imagine a drop of superglue on the end of a toothpick, or some such to get it out again if needed :)

4. Gaffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you good Sir! (Don't I feel the fool now)

5. Oli3000 macrumors regular

6. Gaffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Either that yes, or modify a fullsize adapter.

Would be kinda nice to be able to up the storage by 32gig :)

7. adamtj11 macrumors 6502

8. Oli3000 macrumors regular

9. bigp9998 macrumors regular

Luckily for you Apple offers the MacBook Air in 256 GB version. If you think you'll need the extra space down the line, just buy the higher-capacity SSD. It beats having a hunk of plastic sticking out of your new computer at all times.

10. stevenpa macrumors 6502

Keep in mind SD cards fail quite a bit. Just get a small external, cheap and more reliable. Not to mention way faster.