24" ACD + 2011 MBP = mega-fail

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MattSepeta, Dec 4, 2011.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I recently swapped my imac for a MBP for work reasons, so decided to go ahead and get a 24" ACD for my office as I will sorely miss the screen real estate.

I bought it used, still under warranty from a local craigslist guy for a pretty normal price. Hooked it up through the thunderbolt port and worked on it for probably 5 hours straight, no issues. None of the flickering that I heard plagues this combo, so I thought I had won.

Yesterday morning I went back in and the display would not turn on. Nothing. I heard if you leave it unplugged from the power source for 20 minutes it will reset something and work fine until it goes into an extended "sleep" again.

This is unacceptable for a $999 display that is only a few years old working on a $2k mbp. I find it outrageous that I should be expected to unplug the display every time I leave work simply because Apple (derrr) in their infinite wisdom failed to put a physical "on" button on the device.

My question: Seeing as to how I bought it used and I am the 2nd owner, what recourse do I have? I have read reports of people bringing it into the apple store and having it immediately replaced with a 27" brand new ACD, and I have also read reports of people being jerked around for months with apple replacing logic boards, sending stuff off, etc. Clearly the first situation is optimal.

Any ideas on how best to get this ACD replaced with one that actually functions properly with the companies own hardware?? I dont have the time or energy to mess around with my display going MIA for however long it takes for them to return it and tell me its broken still.

I have never had to use the "genius bar" and really hate the idea of some 21 year old telling me there is nothing he can do and he has to send it in.

Thanks

2. pat park macrumors 6502a

Not the original owner? I wouldn't expect much from a Genius.

It is an obvious design flaw and Apple should have some solution on hand. But they don't.

3. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

If you say you really need it for your work then they might give you a replacement rather than having to wait around for it to get shipped. This is the case for iMacs/MacBooks so you might be able to do this for the display too

4. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Well I made my call appointment with the phone guys and (shockingly enough) they couldnt help me so I am off to the apple store at 4.30.

I am darn well going to tell them I need it for work ASAP because it's the truth. I am waiting on processing a couple shoots. I dont even want to bother with my MBP's little screen.

Earlier this month I had the debacle of not being able reinstall Snow leopard on my MBP because I didnt have the original discs, now this.

Apple is blowing it, big time, in my book.

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i never knew that it didnt have a on button. thats um...interesting i guess.

6. visim91 macrumors 6502

Unfortunate, I know; it remains my only complaint.
    The pros do outweigh the cons, however.

Sorry about your predicament OP. I suppose when Apple stated this was the perfect display, meant and made for the then-new line of Unibody products - well, they were being literal.
    I'm hearing all kinds of problems from the Thunderport crowd.

7. SupraSaiyan macrumors newbie

8. ThemacNub macrumors regular

No, it was discontinued before thunderbolt was viable.

9. SupraSaiyan macrumors newbie

That's what I thought!

I don't see how this should work as the 24" ACD doesn't have a Thunderbolt display yet the OP was able to use it for 5 hours straight. Is the Thunderbolt backward compatible with mDP? I didn't think so but this thread is making me believe otherwise.

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

You can use a MDP cinema display in a Thunderbolt Mac. You can't use a Thunderbolt display with a MDP Mac.

----------

Sounds like the display is defective. It should work. Take it in, it's still under warranty (owner doesn't matter). Apple isn't "blowing it", you just got stuck with a bad display the prior owner likely didn't tell you had an issue.