Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
I use Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom. I work in an Adobe RGB color Space and PhotoPro in these programs. A wide gamut monitor is what works best from what I understand. I just bought a new 17" MBP i7 AG and I want to hook up a monitor for my photo editing. I am not a Pro so I can't justify buying an Eizo CG series monitor. I am looking for an IPS panel though.

I have been trying to find any information about the color space the 24"ACD supports. I have Googled, MRoogled and called Apple Tech Support. Apple Tech Support. An Apple senior tech could not find ANY information either in the public Apple domain or in the private domain available to tech support. I have also come up empty on the internet with the exception of some vague references as to color accuracy being good and the ACD using a "small" RGB color space.

I have a Spyder 3 Elite with the V.4 software and short of going down to the apple store and calibrating their monitor ( ya right... ) I can't find any accurate information, charts, measurements etc on the RGB color space for the 24" ACD.

My last hope is to find someone on a forum who has calibrated their 24" ACD and can give me some RGB information etc.

Any help in this would be much appreciated. I had NO idea that trying to buy a good quality monitor could be so involved. I have learned a lot about color space, panel technology, aspect ratio, resolution, etc, etc... My poor little pea brain is strained to the max... LOL....

Thanks...

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
I use Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom. I work in an Adobe RGB color Space and PhotoPro in these programs. A wide gamut monitor is what works best from what I understand. I just bought a new 17" MBP i7 AG and I want to hook up a monitor for my photo editing. I am not a Pro so I can't justify buying an Eizo CG series monitor. I am looking for an IPS panel though.

I have been trying to find any information about the color space the 24"ACD supports. I have Googled, MRoogled and called Apple Tech Support. Apple Tech Support. An Apple senior tech could not find ANY information either in the public Apple domain or in the private domain available to tech support. I have also come up empty on the internet with the exception of some vague references as to color accuracy being good and the ACD using a "small" RGB color space.

I have a Spyder 3 Elite with the V.4 software and short of going down to the apple store and calibrating their monitor ( ya right... ) I can't find any accurate information, charts, measurements etc on the RGB color space for the 24" ACD.

My last hope is to find someone on a forum who has calibrated their 24" ACD and can give me some RGB information etc.

Any help in this would be much appreciated. I had NO idea that trying to buy a good quality monitor could be so involved. I have learned a lot about color space, panel technology, aspect ratio, resolution, etc, etc... My poor little pea brain is strained to the max... LOL....

Thanks...

I have heard that dell also has good monitors so shop around. the ultrasharp series is very nice.

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
I have heard that dell also has good monitors so shop around. the ultrasharp series is very nice.

I have been shopping around and looked at the Dells. The 3007 is out of my price range. The color accuracy on the 2711 isn't the best. The custom mode on the 2410 has some issues when you try to calibrate it. Plus, you don't know if you're getting an IPS or a PVA panel. That's as far as I have looked at the Dells.

Thanks...

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
You'll be fine with the Apple monitor.

I work in multiple departments inside the photography field and half the time, I edit 2 gig photos on my Macbook, 13" screen and all. It's good to know how the monitors work and etc, but don't let this knowledge get in your way of making imagery.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Apple cinema display is a standard gamut monitor. Its LED backlighting is probably going to give your Spyder 3 trouble. I heard the Spyder has difficulty with LED sources (many colorimeters do). Also make sure your working environment would be able to tolerate a glossy screen.

I'd take a closer look at the Dells if I were you. Not sure where you have been getting your info but the U2711 is highly rated. It has basically the same resolution as a 30" screen and calibrates very well. Both it and the U2410 are wide gamut monitors.

P.S. the U2410 is IPS and IPS only. Same goes for the U2711- in fact any panel listed on the Dell website as IPS is IPS and IPS only. I am not sure they actually sell any *VA monitors anymore (except perhaps a legacy model like the 3007). The days of the "Dell Lottery" are long gone- that was something like 5 years ago, and only happened with a single model of LCD to begin with. It's been blown way out of proportion. Franky, the Dell monitor lineup is fantastic now more than ever. High quality monitors, a great selection of IPS panels at all sizes and prices, and a very solid warranty/support to back it up. You're doing yourself a great disservice if you do not carefully look at their monitor selections.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2711.htm

Ruahrc

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
The Apple cinema display is a standard gamut monitor. Its LED backlighting is probably going to give your Spyder 3 trouble. I heard the Spyder has difficulty with LED sources (many colorimeters do). Also make sure your working environment would be able to tolerate a glossy screen.

I'd take a closer look at the Dells if I were you. Not sure where you have been getting your info but the U2711 is highly rated. It has basically the same resolution as a 30" screen and calibrates very well. Both it and the U2410 are wide gamut monitors.

P.S. the U2410 is IPS and IPS only. Same goes for the U2711- in fact any panel listed on the Dell website as IPS is IPS and IPS only. I am not sure they actually sell any *VA monitors anymore (except perhaps a legacy model like the 3007). The days of the "Dell Lottery" are long gone- that was something like 5 years ago, and only happened with a single model of LCD to begin with. It's been blown way out of proportion. Franky, the Dell monitor lineup is fantastic now more than ever. High quality monitors, a great selection of IPS panels at all sizes and prices, and a very solid warranty/support to back it up. You're doing yourself a great disservice if you do not carefully look at their monitor selections.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2711.htm

Ruahrc

I can confirm that the LED backlighting causes absolutely no problems on my spyder 3 pro. From what I hear the Spyder 3 series is one of the few color calibrators that DOES work with LED backlighting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.