24" ACD and non-Mac's/consoles?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lapino, Mar 17, 2009.

1. lapino macrumors regular

There is a possibility that I would sell my pc and get a 24" ACD, but one thing that kinda bothers me is lack of hdmi, dvi etc... I would love the 24" ACD for the quality, but I rather buy a screen that allows me to connect my consoles too (360/PS3) and let me output the hdmi audio to speakers. Recommendations?

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

There isn't any mini Displayports to DVI/HDMI connectors yet, so as of now, no.

3. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I'll give a big thumbs up to the Dell 09 monitors. I've got the 2709 and it accommodates my Mac, PS3 and Wii over DVI, HDMI and Component. It has 4xUSB, and card readers built in. Height and tilt adjustable, 1920x1200, touch panel interface, HDMI audio out.

There's still another DVI and VGA Port spare, plus Composite, and DisplayPort! I believe it comes in a 24 inch version but I wanted a bigger physical display.

5. whitefang macrumors 6502

The Dell 2408 beats the ACD in every category (both use high-end panels). The only thing ACD has is LED back-lightning.

6. polaris20 macrumors 68020

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

So the back-lightning [sic] is not a category then?

8. brentsg macrumors 68030

The Dell's a PVA panel, which I think most would consider a middle of the road panel. I wouldn't agree that it's as good a panel as H-IPS. And I think the LED backlight is much better than CCFL.

9. whitefang macrumors 6502

The average consumer can't tell the difference between a PVA and a H-IPS panel. As long as it is not a TN panel, both are premium panels. While LED backlighting is better than CCFL, the Dell offers far more greater features than the ACD. With the ACD, you can ONLY connect 1 device and ONLY NEW apple devices. With the Dell, you can connect 4 devices (on different inputs) and switch between devices and your monitor is future proof.

There is no guarantee the current generation of ACD is future proof like Apple did last time when it made the older ACD incompatible. Apple constantly keeps changing ports.

In this economy, it makes more sense to buy a Prius instead of a BMW. Also know that a BMW is not a Veryon Buggatti.

10. brentsg macrumors 68030

Just because average joe is ignorant to the details does not magically transform PVA into a premium panel. My mom might not be able to tell the difference between wine in a box and a $200 bottle, but that doesn't make it a box of premium wine.

Value is specific to an individual. I won't own a wide color gamut display (yet), another CCFL display, a TN/PVA display, or a display with awful amounts of input lag. There are other folks out there that would have similar issues to a subset of this list, and that makes the 2408 a poor choice for them. If they have a different set of needs then they would possibly have a different opinion.

On the flipside, the speakers in the ACD are perfect for what they are, the webcam is a nice bonus, and the charging connectivity to my MBP is awesome.

11. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

So true. At first I wanted a display that I could also plug my PS3 into, but I decided that the quality and convenience of the ACD better suited my needs.

And I am one of the lucky few to have one of the Dell 2007WFPb displays with an IPS panel and when sitting next to my ACD the ACD is far superior in picture quality as well as overall design.

So it truly is a question of how well do you appreciate the quality of the products you spend your hard-earned money on.

12. 929406 macrumors regular

can you elaborate more on the difference between your Dell and ACD, I have the 23" ACD which I like and recently bought the new Dell 2209WA which is a IPS monitor as well but am thinking perhaps i should have just bitten the bullet and gone for the new ACD. I don't mind the glossy display but from all reports its over saturates pictures making it not good for photo editing. Your thoughts are appreciated

13. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

IMO the colors on the ACD are very accurate. With the Dell monitor it seems that even after endless amounts of calibration I couldn't get the colors on it to even come close to the display in my laptop. The Dell always had a yellow tint to it that just wouldn't go away with calibration. When I first set up the ACD next to my UMBP it was absolutely amazing the colors actually matched just the ACD had more "pop" and "wow" to it. I just recently bought my ACD, and it seems that the newer ones are definitely less prone to the problems of the ones from late last year (dust under glass, dead pixels, etc.) The colors on the ACD are very uniform whereas the colors on my Dell have a somewhat pixellated appearance. On gray and white colors you can actually see the red, blue, and green subpixels; so they actually have a sparkly appearance.