24" ACD background color change

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rdowty, Dec 20, 2008.

1. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I got a 24" ACD when they came out and now I'm having an issue where the background color seems to change slightly. It's slight enough that if you didn't watch it change you'd not notice it but it's like a very slow motion strobe effect and it's bugging me. I didn't notice it at first and I don't know if it's the display or the video card on my MBP and I don't have a extra of either to test it.

Anybody have any other ideas or have the same problem?

2. gwihannom macrumors member

Like Lava mentioned, I started a thread regarding the LED Cinema Display's "discoloration." As you described, I have a similar issue with the background color changing ever so slightly. First I thought it was a fluke, in my case, it happens when the display has been turned on for awhile.

I called Apple to get some support. Obviously they weren't gonna state that it's a known issue, but the service agent gave me a couple of options though.

First he said try running it on discreet video card, on 9600 and see if it does the same thing. Because if the issue does not happen with discreet video card, then it must be the integrated video card.

Secondly, he asked if I could get another MacBook or Pro to test it (Which I thought it was kinda stupid answer, because not many would be able to). I own the MacBook Pro that's having problems with and fortunately, my girlfriend has the MacBook from the same late unibody generation. I tested the display with her machine. Well, the issue isn't there, but as I stated before it's not a constant issue. My problem happens when I work on the display for hours. Had the display hooked up to the MacBook, and watched a two hour movie on it, did some emails. But I'm not noticing it.

I'm not convinced that neither of the machines are the cause of the issue. I THINK the problem is coming from the new LED Cinema Display, but with no proof.

Try the first option. Try running it under 9600 and see if you have any issues. I keep you updated on the issue as well.

3. gwihannom macrumors member

I think I have figured out what's causing this "discoloration." It's not the video card. I tried both with 9400 and 9600, both are having same issues.

The problem is the display and it's the heat that's causing this.

All displays/monitors are suppose to get hot. Since LED Cinema Display is much brighter and color heavy than other monitors, I can understand that it generates heat. Do you notice that their is a small fan that's blowing hot air out of the display? Or am I just feeling the excessive heat? (Check lower left side of the display, under the left side of the speaker)

When I connect the LED Cinema Display to the MacBook Pro, I don't see any problems with the display. Even working for a few hours I don't see it. But this afternoon. I noticed the discoloration, color shift on my screen. So I touched the lower left part of the display and it was very hot. If I had to exaggerate a little, I could get burnt.

It could be just my display that's defective, or it might be a design flaw. But then again, what do I know, I'm not an Apple designer.

I'm gonna give the Apple support a call tomorrow and see if there's any known issues regarding this.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Well the 24" ACD that I have the bottom left gets pretty hot but the rest of the display is just a bit warm (I'm guessing thats where the power supply is located since apple does not use the separate power brick anymore).

Anyways, so far I have not had the discoloration problems whatsoever, but the bottom left does get pretty hot after the first hour of usage.

5. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

The bottom left of my display is warm, but not as warm as the bottom of my MBP. I'm still having the problem but it doesn't seem to be doing it as often now as it was for the first few days. This is a very strange problem, and I too wonder if it is heat related. I should have time tomorrow to get it exchanged at the Apple Store. Hopefully this isn't a widespread issue as it is very annoying.

6. umgoblue2008 macrumors regular

umgoblue2008

I have seen this too on my display, though it happens pretty rarely.